SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

29 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Beyond Jost, Boeser and Gersich where is the high end blue chip talent?  This is a failure in recruiting.  The young team excuse doesn't fly.  Look at BU.

Wilkie, Pogo and Gardner are all drafted...it's not an issue of recruiting, those 3 in particular are just not playing to their potential.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

This roster is full of role players not table setters.

48 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

And while they are stockpiling first round draft picks UND is getting Hoff and Gornall.

Get up off the floor and quit crying. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What's wrong with either of those players?

Nothing, but they are fourth liners and that seems that is what the roster is full of.  Schlossman has even stated this isn't a highly skilled team.  It is almost as if the coaching staff was blind sided with all the losses from last year's team and we're not prepared for replacing them.

19 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Nothing, but they are fourth liners and that seems that is what the roster is full of.  Schlossman has even stated this isn't a highly skilled team.  It is almost as if the coaching staff was blind sided with all the losses from last year's team and we're not prepared for replacing them.

I think it's time to step back from the ledge. Last years team was all time great, this years team is good but has flaws.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Beyond Jost, Boeser and Gersich where is the high end blue chip talent?  This is a failure in recruiting.  The young team excuse doesn't fly.  Look at BU.

I couldn't agree more - take away those three and the last two classes aren't competitive.  No scoring, a goalie who is in Siberia, and defensemen who cough up goals repeatedly.   While the championship accelerated the process a bit with the departures, I really don't see a core of talent who will improve with time.  We have lots of dead weight and with our recruiting advantages (NHL Stars, top program, top facility) there is no way we should be in this boat.  Other schools have reloaded quickly.  If we don't have one of the best classes in history coming in, if we have early departures we will be in big trouble.  

12 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

It isn't #1 picks driving UMD right now, it's  upperclassmen who have developed and bought into the system and their roles.

I don't disagree and am not necessarily arguing for more #1 picks (although it would be nice).  My point is that other than the three stars we have very little talent to build into a Duluth like team.  Many are below average.  After the big 3 we have a serious lack of scoring - punctuated by Wilkie and if you saw our defense this week you know what I mean there too.  Not only that, we have serious issues clearing the slot and around the goal, clearing the zone, on the power play, and with concentration and not making stupid plays.  We don't seem to be able to play Sioux hockey for a whold game and sometimes for a whole period.   Maybe Gornal, Wilkie, and Wolanin will develop a lot, but I am seriously worried.  

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining - I guess the fans who insisted that just ONE national title would make them OK with a few down years were apparently fibbing.

UMD is a veteran team, they have seven seniors on their team. Last time I checked,  UND is a team that has 19 underclassmen. UND also lost four Juniors in the offseason. Imagine if Stecher, LJ, Schmaltz and LaDue had returned? That's a lot of experience that left. 

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

UMD is a veteran team, they have seven seniors on their team. Last time I checked,  UND is a team that has 19 underclassmen. UND also lost four Juniors in the offseason. Imagine if Stecher, LJ, Schmaltz and LaDue had returned? That's a lot of experience that left. 

Your honest assessment - other than the big 3, how much talent do you see in those 19 underclassmen?  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

And most of those veterans are 23-24 years old, having played juniors for a couple years after high school. It's the way a team is built without high draft picks.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Irish said:

Your honest assessment - other than the big 3, how much talent do you see in that 19 freshmen.  

I see a lot of talent. 

8 freshmen and 11 Sophomores.

Yon is going to be a great offensive player I think he has good hands and a decent shot. Dixon Bowen is great and upcoming forward with incredible speed, motor never stops. Hoff has grit and offensive talent. I like his mean streak. I like Smith's grit and he never quits. He's a diamond in the rough. 

All three Freshmen on the backend have made great strides. I really like Casey Johnson. 

I like the freshmen line of Yon, Hoff and Bowen. They're great forecheckers. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Forward Grades based on performance vs expectations:

Wilkie F

Simo F

Olsen F

Gardner D

Hoff D

JJ D

Pogo C-

Gornall C

Smith C