SiouxSports.com Forum

What does this team need?

johnsowe

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

From what my sources say, Berry is cutting 75% of the team at semester break and adding recruits from the UND intramural league.
The players that are getting cut are trying to get picked up by DIII colleges, which is more appropriate to their talent level.

Not sure is you meant this comment to be snotty or funny, but other than Jost and Gersech I didn't see a lot of talent vs MS this weekend - no scoring touch, poor puck handling, ill-timed penalties, and out of position a lot.  If you think differently, make your case.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Ausmus needs to pick a home game full of students, sometime in the first period. Wait for the right reason to react, and he needs to over react! Put a helmet and gloves throwing beat down on a guy! Make the building erupt, make his team feel juiced up, yes get ejected, but all for the good of the team!

I think this would start the run! It has in the past...

That would only put him in box and give other team power play. If that is what we "need" we are in deep trouble and not very smart. Getting ejected doesn't ever help team. Clean hard checks can do same thing for majority of fans and keeps him on the ice.  If other team scores on power play everyone will scream for him to be benched for being stupid.  Gotta play smart. We aren't the brightest fans but we are smarter than that.  Building will erupt with fast play, hustle and clean hard checks that leave all our guys on the ice. We have had enough dumb penalties to last the season.

More than anything we need time and patience.  The solution will come from within not from fans.  Terrible play the last month plus but if they remain close as a team, keep working to get better we will be ok.  Can't explain the weekend debacle against Michigan State but we saw the potential the week before.  I do agree Cam is struggling. He needs a break.  

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

That would only put him in box and give other team power play. If that is what we "need" we are in deep trouble and not very smart. Getting ejected doesn't ever help team. Clean hard checks can do same thing for majority of fans and keeps him on the ice.  If other team scores on power play everyone will scream for him to be benched for being stupid.  Gotta play smart. We aren't the brightest fans but we are smarter than that.  Building will erupt with fast play, hustle and clean hard checks that leave all our guys on the ice. We have had enough dumb penalties to last the season.

History proves you wrong...sorry! The general did it, Frattin I believe did it, didn't Lamaroux even do it? Don't turn this into a, no he didn't argument, I may be wrong on the specifics but I know it happened, multiple times! 

And I think it would be a good thing once more to get things going! Even if that makes me "not a bright fan" to you...:)

3 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

History proves you wrong...sorry! The general did it, Frattin I believe did it, didn't Lamaroux even do it? Don't turn this into a, no he didn't argument, I may be wrong on the specifics but I know it happened, multiple times! 

And I think it would be a good thing once more to get things going! Even if that makes me "not a bright fan" to you...:)

I said "we" aren't the brightest.....   Doesn't mean anyone in particular and I included myself.    I have been watching for 46 years and  I am not saying it has never fired up the fans. I'm saying I would rather see a clean hard check that rocks an opponent but leaves our guys on the ice.  You may be right, but for  every time we think a fight does something positive I bet we can find 4 or 5 where it hurt us. We tend to forget stupid penalties that hurt us and remember  a fight that fired us up.  For the fight to fire us up we also need to win the fight. Right now, one of the keys is staying out of the penalty box.  We didn't need a fight to dominate a very good SCSU team.  I think our PK needs to get back to what it was earlier this year and Cam needs to get refocused before we take a chance on losing a player for a game and a half. We aren't deep enough defensively to lose Ausmus.  

Can someone PLEASE explain to me the thinking on the 3vs3 last night?

Jost, Gersich and wolanin out for the first shift...sure, makes sense. THEN pogo, Gardner and poolman?? I instantly thought, slow, SLOW and slow...this can't be good for 3on3. 

Only thing I can think of is that they didn't care at that point and weren't thinking.

3on3 is open ice fast pace backyard hockey, not rough and tough tight hockey like those players excel at. I was blown away by that line up choice. 

35 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

David Hale did it against Mankato and as he went down the tunnel he told the team to finish this and they did.

Remember that this team is missing 9 top-level players from last year's squad.  Yeah, they are, at times, difficult to watch because of their lack of performing as they should, but remember that a lot of them are not even through their first season at the D1 level.  Patience as a fan is sometimes hard to endure, but this team will get better as the season progresses.  And don't forget that they played the past couple of games without one of the top offensive talents in the college game today.  That didn't help the past weekend, but maybe in the long run the younger players, and even the veterans, will learn to elevate their games to where they need to be to win at the D1 level.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Can someone PLEASE explain to me the thinking on the 3vs3 last night?

Jost, Gersich and wolanin out for the first shift...sure, makes sense. THEN pogo, Gardner and poolman?? I instantly thought, slow, SLOW and slow...this can't be good for 3on3. 

Only thing I can think of is that they didn't care at that point and weren't thinking.

3on3 is open ice fast pace backyard hockey, not rough and tough tight hockey like those players excel at. I was blown away by that line up choice. 

The 3v3 meant literally nothing which made if confusing as to why #57 celebrated his goal like he'd never been there before(on 2nd thought...)

I was commenting to my wife that the only thing playing 3v3 was to see if we could get a guy injured. I suggested maybe a free throw contest next time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The 3v3 meant literally nothing which made if confusing as to why #57 celebrated his goal like he'd never been there before(on 2nd thought...)

I was commenting to my wife that the only thing playing 3v3 was to see if we could get a guy injured. I suggested maybe a free throw contest next time.

#57 has been there before. Friday night lol. He wasn't fooling anyone with those celebrations... 

7 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Right.  The game, being nonconference,  was already considered a tie.  Why the skills competition at the end?  It just put the icing on a memorably bad weekend.

• Upvote 1

What's this team need? Leadership. 

Remember when I said 2-5-11-8. 

Two seniors. One is a backup goalie. The other wears a "C" but casually skates to the puck with four minutes to play in a tied must-win game, and proceeds to misplay it and get stripped in his own end of the ice. <-- That right there is the most frustrating thing I saw on the weekend. Where the < bleep! > is the accountability. 

Five juniors. One is the starting goalie (who honestly could use a break if nothing else for the mental reset). Pogo is hot and cold (not a sign of a leader, or maturity). Simonson and Olson are bottom six guys who haven't been consistent enough either. Poolman is trying to do it all by himself. 

I'll say it again: If this team is going anywhere, it's going to take a couple sophomores to step up, not so much on the ice, but in the room. 

16 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Based on overall play this season to date and his position draft wise Jost hopefully took the floor and called some people out. IMO this should be his team moving forward. When your best player gives more effort than almost everyone on the ice others need to heed his voice and opinions.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's this team need? Leadership. 

I'll say it again: If this team is going anywhere, it's going to take a couple sophomores to step up, not so much on the ice, but in the room. 

I'll disagree...............................................