SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State Game Day

Sioux94

Rudolph goes back and forth on being a very good OC and a very poor OC. For long stretches he's overly conservative, lacks imagination, and becomes very easy to read. Then all of a sudden the playbook opens, the offense hums along looking unstoppable, and everyone wonders where that was the rest of the game. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Feff said:

Rudolph goes back and forth on being a very good OC and a very poor OC. For long stretches he's overly conservative, lacks imagination, and becomes very easy to read. Then all of a sudden the playbook opens, the offense hums along looking unstoppable, and everyone wonders where that was the rest of the game. 

Yup. Very frustrating

24 minutes ago, HawkinNutts said:

Disagree with #5 (kinda),

UND's offense was clicking when Keaton was hurt, just coming off an ingenious double reverse for ~30 yards. UND may not find the momentum it needed without that play.  Without the injury (that BTW happened on a QB sweep, not QB power) UND's passing game would've picked up. Only after the backups were in did we completely telegraph which plays were coming.  Studs could've been injured like that on any play, not Rudolph's fault. 

Yes, but why would we risk it when we've got 3 rb's and a fb?  I am disappointed with how much we ran Studs, even though he typically does excel in that style. Even worse, he keeps running with the backup qb. Whaddya do when he gets injured?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

That read option with Studs has been a stupid waste. Only ever worked against garbage Sacramento and now it may cost us our only QB. 

Rudolph needs to be held personally responsible for getting Studsrud hurt.  You could see each time he carried the ball in the second he was getting more and more beat up.  Then Bartels got hurt late in the fourth on a running play to the Weber sideline.  The offense ran the same five plays all day.

• Upvote 3

I felt like I jinxed the team by not making the GameDay thread..... Then I picked up a lucky penny at half time and it worked out in the end. Rudolph had a very off day. 0 passes in the first quarter from my memory. Can't do that. How do you expect the qb to find any rhythm that way? Schmidt also had a bad first half. Didn't bring enough pressure. Second half, as usual, he had them figured out. Can't blame Rudolph for TE injury but I wasn't at all happy with his play calling. It felt like he didn't think our WR could separate from their DBS. By the way their DBs are pretty good. Heidelbaugh threw a beatiful pass on that deep ball that was dropped. If you're going to play him he needs to throw it. Tough tough game today against a good team but we pulled it out. We're limping to the finish but damn it our team doesn't quit. I like our team.

• Upvote 1

It's was easy to see coming.

Studs got up showing signs of being banged up after running the last two games. Including a called run that studs came up hurting earlier in this game.

Did rudolph the red nosed reindeer not know und was a injury away from being 2-7.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I felt like I jinxed the team by not making the GameDay thread..... Then I picked up a lucky penny at half time and it worked out in the end. Rudolph had a very off day. 0 passes in the first quarter from my memory. Can't do that. How do you expect the qb to find any rhythm that way? Schmidt also had a bad first half. Didn't bring enough pressure. Second half, as usual, he had them figured out. Can't blame Rudolph for TE injury but I wasn't at all happy with his play calling. It felt like he didn't think our WR could separate from their DBS. By the way their DBs are pretty good. Heidelbaugh threw a beatiful pass on that deep ball that was dropped. If you're going to play him he needs to throw it. Tough tough game today against a good team but we pulled it out. We're limping to the finish but damn it our team doesn't quit. I like our team.

That was Bartles. But same principle. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I guess I disagree with you guys, I was ok with the QB bootleg, if you catch them off gaurd you likely pick it up and seal the game.  You can't always play call just to not get hurt.  

True, but I think you need to when you are already using a backup and are apparently unwilling to play your freshman.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's was easy to see coming.

Studs got up showing signs of being banged up after running the last two games. Including a called run that studs came up hurting earlier in this game.

Did rudolph the red nosed reindeer not know und was a injury away from being 2-7.

He also has to call the game to get to 7 wins and a chance at 8, than 9.  

Sucks getting the QB hurt but to Oxbows point earlier Weber was putting 8 in the box.  We weren't running great and Studs wasn't exactly tearing it up throwing the ball pre-injury.  

I think he was hurt coming in.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Feff said:

Rudolph is a bad OC.  SantIago and brady can only carry him so long.  Good to average DCs will expose him 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, homer said:

He also has to call the game to get to 7 wins and a chance at 8, than 9.  

Sucks getting the QB hurt but to Oxbows point earlier Weber was putting 8 in the box.  We weren't running great and Studs wasn't exactly tearing it up throwing the ball pre-injury.  

I think he was hurt coming in.  

If Studs "was hurt coming in" and not 100% that makes the decisions by Rudolph to keep pounding him even more ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll go back to UND's first 2 offensive series.......WSU had 8 in the box with deep safety within 10-12 yards of the line of scrimmage....not even a PA pass called. Became a numbers game. Tough to get a push being outnumbered most of the game.

Why is it we don't call more PA passes? The way teams play us they need to pass to open up the run.