SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Weber St.

bincitysioux

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

When I was a student, turning football into a frat party probably would've made me less likely to go.

I'm not saying turn it into a drunk crazy fest. Not all frats are the Animal House stereotype. I would say most houses are not quite that stereotype, though every house may have a few poor examples within it. Just saying it is one way you could get people involved and try to ramp up attendance. I could be way off, but I'll be if you head to SEC country, greek communities are much more involved in tailgating and gameday activities.

Another reason I wish you could bring football back to campus, especially right where Memorial stadium is. You have a big parking lot for tailgating. You can do an easy park and ride from the Ralph over. You have University Ave right there for when there are parades. You have all of the greek houses there that can have their own event right on their front lawns. It would be a pretty sweet college atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Need to tap back into that crowd. Like I said, its a fairly substantial number of students. Maybe you give each out a tailgating spot, or a discounted tailgating spot. Create some tailgating competitions (Best Tailgate spot, Greek Tailgate Relay, whatever....) something to get them there in numbers and get them hooked.

Maybe it wouldn't work, but it might be worth a shot. You already have a greek council that could team up with the athletics department to try to get it goin.

Greek council? Who's in charge of UND Greek council? I hope not the Alpha Beta's. Maybe they could hold the Greek Olympic 's in the parking lot before the game.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Need to tap back into that crowd. Like I said, its a fairly substantial number of students. Maybe you give each out a tailgating spot, or a discounted tailgating spot. Create some tailgating competitions (Best Tailgate spot, Greek Tailgate Relay, whatever....) something to get them there in numbers and get them hooked.

Maybe it wouldn't work, but it might be worth a shot. You already have a greek council that could team up with the athletics department to try to get it goin.

I think that is a great idea, giving discounted or free tailgating spots to greeks and or student groups like that on campus.  Heck you could have a McVey Hall tailgating area,  College of Business tailgating area, and have a competition between them for the best tailgate.  Greeks wouldn't be a bad place to start as I think they would be the most likely to take that option up first and then once it got started it may spread to other groups on campus.  Who knows if it would work, but I like the idea!  

We're talking about getting students to buy in, but W's will do it in time.

As great as the Ralph is, how many students show up to a hockey game if the team is .500 for a few years as they move up a division (if that were possible)?  It's not about gimmicks or tricks; they'll respond to a winner because they want to be a part of something special.

Oh ... and free beer!

12 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

When I was a student, turning football into a frat party probably would've made me less likely to go.

You can't be serious, you really think siouxfan512 meant turning football into a frat party? 

We need to build our fan base.  We need more fans and we need fans that will cheer on in a way to give UND a home field advantage. Die-hard Fans!

To get this to happen, all organizations at UND should to be encouraged to get involved.

We are so far away from the Bison in fan support for football and attitudes like yours keeps us from getting there.  Our Football team is closing the talent gap with our friends to the south, but in comparison our fans are a long ways away.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tailgating is perhaps the best way to get more people interested. My sister in law wouldn't have been caught dead at a UND football game. But after last week when she went tailgating for the first time she suggested going to the game with my wife and I this week. She was blown away by the tailgate and said she had thought it would have been "a joke with maybe one tent". I hope someone is grilling up some crow this week for her.

I've been saying this for awhile. And the people that bring trailers, campers, and custom rigs are the most valuable for the tailgate atmosphere, but costs $60 for four spots on gameday....that same amount of spots at NDSU on gameday.....$20. 

I haven't tailgated this year.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I've been saying this for awhile. And the people that bring trailers, campers, and custom rigs are the most valuable for the tailgate atmosphere, but costs me $60 a game to pull my trailer, park my truck, and have a hanging out spot on gameday....and if I bought that same amount of spots at NDSU on gameday it's only $20. 

I bet there a quite a few people turned off by the cost

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I bet there a quite a few people turned off by the cost

But then, the Bison charge you plenty to get into the game.  Although probably worth looking into tail gating prices..  UND FB ticket prices will go up eventually, if they keep winning and get to the point of consistently filling the Hawk's Nest.

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I've been saying this for awhile. And the people that bring trailers, campers, and custom rigs are the most valuable for the tailgate atmosphere, but costs $60 for four spots on gameday....that same amount of spots at NDSU on gameday.....$20. 

Reserved spots are $50/spot/year, which is $10/game the last few years. With current demand, do you think single game prices should be cheaper than those? From my experience most people who tailgate more than once or twice a year get season passes and those who only bring setups once or twice aren't concerned about paying a few extra dollars when they do come because they are still spending less than season passes cost. 

Big difference than in Fargo, you don't have to get in line the night before in Game Forks. For whatever reason, they charge the same for parking whether you tailgate or not. Seems strange but maybe it's too much pressure on the workers to remember two prices.

33 minutes ago, Cratter said:

$50 per spot for a season pass.  I have 3 and it's money well spent.  I have more than $150 worth of fun at every game. :)

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Reserved spots are $50/spot/year, which is $10/game the last few years. With current demand, do you think single game prices should be cheaper than those? From my experience most people who tailgate more than once or twice a year get season passes and those who only bring setups once or twice aren't concerned about paying a few extra dollars when they do come because they are still spending less than season passes cost. 

Big difference than in Fargo, you don't have to get in line the night before in Game Forks. For whatever reason, they charge the same for parking whether you tailgate or not. Seems strange but maybe it's too much pressure on the workers to remember two prices.

I don't think I should be able to buy a UND football ticket cheaper than UND tailgating spot on gameday.

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I don't think I should be able to buy a UND football ticket cheaper than UND tailgating spot on gameday.

If it makes you feel better, the fees make the football ticket more expensive. Also a lot more tickets available than tailgating spots currently, though as the season goes on, spots don't seem to be in high demand either. 

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Must be an awesome problem to have. 

I'm sure it is which is why it makes no sense that they only charge $5. For the record, if given the choice, I'd much rather pay more than have to sleep in that line again. 

44 minutes ago, Cratter said:

and to help fund the other 19 sports we are keeping that will have to go up...and up...and up..til there is no one left to care or we finally CUT SOME SPORTS!

36 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

But then, the Bison charge you plenty to get into the game.  Although probably worth looking into tail gating prices..  UND FB ticket prices will go up eventually, if they keep winning and get to the point of consistently filling the Hawk's Nest.

I heard that Montana State didn't charge tailgatting fees. is that true?