SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Weber St.

bincitysioux

I sure as hell hope that UND never leaves the Big Sky as I love this level of competition.  If the toughest team on the schedule is Weber State we should start to see a slew of conference titles and playoff berths with Bubba at the helm.  Montana and EW are overrated as well.

16 hours ago, siouxweet said:

I sure as hell hope that UND never leaves the Big Sky as I love this level of competition.  If the toughest team on the schedule is Weber State we should start to see a slew of conference titles and playoff berths with Bubba at the helm.  Montana and EW are overrated as well.

MT may be a bit overrated this year, though they would still give us a hell of a game, especially with their heavy pass offense. EWU has completely earned their ranking. They have dominated almost everyone, taken the defending 5 time Nat'l champ to OT, and looked the part of a champion. Yes, their D could be much better, but their offense makes up for it.

• Upvote 2

Weber is the game I've looked forward to the most this season.  I expect this game to be a battle . . . a flash back to the first few games of the season.  I know, I'm sadistic!!  But I like to watch games that make a person throw things and punch walls!

I'd be happy with a complete blow out by UND, though:D

21 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Explain how EWU is overrated?

• Upvote 2

Its been a long time coming.  Two huge matchups in the conference with EWU/Griz and UND/Weber.  UND always seems to play well at home.  Early thoughts right now is a close win for the good guys.  Would love to see Santiago step up and snap off some long runs.  Good to hear Reyes is going to give it a go as well.

In thinking of the minor picture:  A chance to get to 6 conference wins in the Big Sky for the first time, finish the month of October unbeaten, and match the number of wins from last year.

Read somwhere UND is favored by 8 points.  I would guess right around there for a difference in final scores, like a 31-23

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think EWU has the best resume in the country. 

Weber sure scares me!  I think this is a 50/50 game.  The little bit I've watched them, their offense looked pretty explosive IMO.    

Im more confident in our defense when Reyes is playing, which bubba says he is. But it comes down to whether he can stay on the field for the WHOLE game, not just for a couple of quarters.

54 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

When was the last time they played anything that resembled defense?

Seriously? Washington St, ndsu, UNI (regardless of record, their defense is solid), even Cal Davis D is decent. EWU has done more to earn their ranking than most. 

Are you just trolling for the mvfc? 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:
2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

When was the last time they played anything that resembled defense?

Seriously? Washington St, ndsu, UNI (regardless of record, their defense is solid), even Cal Davis D is decent. EWU has done more to earn their ranking than most. 

Siouxweet is saying that EWU does not play solid defense.

• Upvote 1

This game is so huge now that ND and Weber State have won all their conference games to this point. Either team can win this one, the Hawk's Nest gives us a little advantage, I see turnovers as the key factor in this game. The winner here will have inside track on conference champ/co-champ.  Winning would also shore up the fan base!

So pumped for Saturday! Big time game, and time for UND to take care of business. These are the kinds of situations this program has been waiting to be in. A lot of the stat categories are pretty comparable between these teams. I think UND needs to focus on three things:

1. Establishing the run - Weber St. does not have a great run D, but Idaho St wasn't supposed to either, and they did a pretty nice job, especially in the first half. I have to imagine last weekend, woke up the offensive line a but. Hopefully Stockwell is feeling better, as it was really nice camera work to get him puking on the field.??? Also, need to be getting all of these RBs plenty of carries. Gordon has, more than, earned his time on the field.
  2. Time of Possession - This goes hand in hand with running the ball. The key being we need to sustain drives. I believe it was the first of second drive of the 2nd half against Idaho St, when the (somewhat obnoxious) announcers, made a pretty big deal about UND having a roughly 8 minute drive. That kind of time will be crucial in giving our D a rest. Especially against another passing team, who "could" sustain some drives themselves.
  3. Turnover Battle - Pretty clean game last weekend, I don't think either of Keaton's INT's this year have been poor throws, but have been deflected by the receivers. Not worried about him, also the RBs have done a better job of holding onto the ball. I was really surprised we didn't get any takeaways against Idaho St. given their turnover issues, but credit to them, they played a pretty clean game. I expect Weber's passing game and the addition a Reyes back into the lineup to create a few more turnovers this weekend. Would really like to hear Deion's name called after such a hot start early in the season. If Weber is going to mimic Idaho St's 3 step drops and quick passes, I'd like to see our corners jump a few routes .... especially with Reyes in to cover on the back end.

38 -24 UND!!!

SCORING OFFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
6 North Dakota 8 31 9 28 0 0 1 243 30.4
7 Weber State 7 27 4 23 2 0 1 203 29
SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1 North Dakota 8 22 8 18 0 0 0 174 21.8
7 Weber State 7 28 5 25 1 1 0 212 30.3
TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G  
6 North Dakota 8 1757 1538 570 3295 5.8 28 411.9  
8 Weber State 7 1097 1749 498 2846 5.7 25 406.6  
TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G  
2 North Dakota 8 872 1908 549 2780 5.1 20 347.5  
5 Weber State 7 1526 1307 503 2833 5.6 27 404.7  
RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yards Avg. TD Yards/G      
2 North Dakota 8 371 1757 4.7 17 219.6      
8 Weber State 7 252 1097 4.4 10 156.7      
RUSHING DEFENSE G Att Yards Avg. TD Yards/G      
1 North Dakota 8 260 872 3.4 5 109      
10 Weber State 7 294 1526 5.2 14 218      
PASS OFFENSE G Comp Att Int   Pct. Yards Avg. TD Avg/G
4 Weber State 7 153 246 8 62.2 1749 7.1 15 249.9
11 North Dakota 8 120 199 2 60.3 1538 7.7 11 192.2
PASS DEFENSE G Comp Att Int   Pct. Yards Avg. TD Avg/G
1 Weber State 7 116 209 4 55.5 1307 6.3 13 186.7
5 North Dakota 8 158 289 13 54.7 1908 6.6 15 238.5
PASS EFFICIENCY G Comp Att Int   Pct. Yards TD Effic.  
6 North Dakota 8 120 199 2 60.3 1538 11 141.5  
7 Weber State 7 153 246 8 62.2 1749 15 135.5  
PASS DEFENSE EFFIC. G Comp Att Int   Pct. Yards TD Effic.  
2 North Dakota 8 158 289 13 54.7 1908 15 118.3  
4 Weber State 7 116 209 4 55.5 1307 13 124.7  
KICKOFF RETURNS G No. Yards TD Avg.        
3 North Dakota 8 27 612 0 22.7        
6 Weber State 7 19 408 0 21.5        
PUNT RETURN AVG G No. Yards TD Avg.        
9 Weber State 7 12 41 0 3.4        
11 North Dakota 8 11 35 0 3.2        
INTERCEPTIONS G No. Yards TD Avg.        
1 North Dakota 8 13 163 3 12.5        
9 Weber State 7 4 70 1 17.5        
PUNTING G No. Yards Avg/P Ret. Avg. TB Net/P  
5 Weber State 7 39 1707 43.8 103 2.6 6 38.1  
7 North Dakota 8 47 1951 41.5 58 1.2 8 36.9  
FIELD GOALS G Made-Att Pct.            
7 North Dakota 8 15-Sep 0.6            
13 Weber State 7 11-Apr 0.364            
SACKS BY G No. Yards            
4 North Dakota 8 15 76            
12 Weber State 7 9 67            
SACKS AGAINST G No. Yards            
3 Weber State 7 10 55            
11 North Dakota 8 19 122            
FIRST DOWNS G Rush Pass Pen Total Avg/G      
4 North Dakota 8 84 69 10 163 20.4      
9 Weber State 7 55 83 9 147 21      
OPPONENT 1ST DOWNS G Rush Pass Pen Total Avg/G      
3 North Dakota 8 49 83 10 142 17.8      
4 Weber State 7 73 60 12 145 20.7      
PENALTIES G No. Yards Avg/G          
4 Weber State 7 40 340 48.6          
9 North Dakota 8 56 493 61.6          
TIME OF POSSESSION G Poss. Time            Avg/G            
1 North Dakota 8 276:29:00  34:33:00            
3 Weber State 7 222:06:00  31:43:00            
  Gained Lost  
TURNOVER MARGIN G Fumb Int Total Fumb Int Total Margin Per/G
1 North Dakota 8 6 13 19 8 2 10 9 1.12
9 Weber State 7 5 4 9 3 8 11 -2 -0.29
  • Upvote 4

My thought is that we need to have a winning season in Football to make the crowds sustainable...Putting together a sweet run like they have helps, but it needs to be the norm to get guys to drop out of the Deer stands and come in with their kids during youth deer season.  Sad, but likely true.  I do agree that the University could be doing a better job of amping up the game by giving free tickets to the students and getting them out to the tailgating spots...Like last year, if its cold and its deer season, the tailgating will be a ghost town again.  Maybe Kennedy can put a committee together to study it and give recommendations to him and Faison?!? :)

29 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

My thought is that we need to have a winning season in Football to make the crowds sustainable...Putting together a sweet run like they have helps, but it needs to be the norm to get guys to drop out of the Deer stands and come in with their kids during youth deer season.  Sad, but likely true.  I do agree that the University could be doing a better job of amping up the game by giving free tickets to the students and getting them out to the tailgating spots...Like last year, if its cold and its deer season, the tailgating will be a ghost town again.  Maybe Kennedy can put a committee together to study it and give recommendations to him and Faison?!? :)

Some sort of volunteer student committee actually wouldn't be a terrible idea. At least you could guage how to get more students there, and get them hooked on some winning football. I think they should really tap into the greek community. Thats a lot of kids right there, and if you can make it appealing to a solid base of them, more will follow.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Some sort of volunteer student committee actually wouldn't be a terrible idea. At least you could guage how to get more students there, and get them hooked on some winning football. I think they should really tap into the greek community. Thats a lot of kids right there, and if you can make it appealing to a solid base of them, more will follow.

In the early 70's, there would be large pockets of Greeks in the stands.

8 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

In the early 70's, there would be large pockets of Greeks in the stands.

Need to tap back into that crowd. Like I said, its a fairly substantial number of students. Maybe you give each out a tailgating spot, or a discounted tailgating spot. Create some tailgating competitions (Best Tailgate spot, Greek Tailgate Relay, whatever....) something to get them there in numbers and get them hooked.

Maybe it wouldn't work, but it might be worth a shot. You already have a greek council that could team up with the athletics department to try to get it goin.