SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I hope you're right. I think it might be slower than you think.... not that I agree with that approach. Let's just say ...they're not enthusiastic about changes right now. 

Emailed fans@theralph.com to see if I could get a response about how the Ralph plans to proceed with integrating the new Fighting Hawks logo.  Got a pretty prompt response from the marketing manager:

Good morning,

We’re working with UND to integrate the logo into game elements (pre-game videos, player introductions, etc.) as well as digital signage.  Changes to permanent signage will have to be approved by our board.  While there may not be wholesale changes right away, you should continue to see the Fighting Hawk logo more prominently at hockey games (including new jerseys).  Have a good day

Garth Wiedrich

Marketing Manager

Ralph Engelstad Arena

One Ralph Engelstad Arena Drive

Grand Forks, ND 58203

(P) 701.777.0833

www.theralph.com

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How will you know when the new logo really, truly has made it? 

When Mafia, Oxbow, Blackheart, and our own "Abe Vigoda" are filming their own local cable access, wait, too old school, internet video podcast sittin' around a table in a GF sports bar pondering what it'll take to beat ... "daaa--Hawks!" "Daaa Hawks." < clink > 

Or maybe other great ponderables like ... 

"So if you entered a school bus in the Indy 500, but Caggiula was drivin' da bus ... "
"Jewels"
"Jewels"
"Definitely Jewels"
"DaaaA - - - HAWKS." < clink > 

Loved that skit, but it didn't quite happen like that.  The best part was at the end when one of the guys says "Uh...I tink I still godda go with Rick Mears."  :lol:  He was promptly ridiculed by the rest of the gang because Coach Dikka was a no-brainer.  

56 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Just got back to the Ralph for the first time in a few years - it was great to see all the Sioux logos/mentions/etc. It'll be a bummer when they start jamming the Hawk down our throats, but I guess that's what we're in for.

Still think the choice of Hawks was awful, and even with incredibly low expectations for the logo - that's a huge disappointment also. So good to see Sioux gear outnumber Hawks gear 20-1 on gameday! At least this generation will be stubborn enough to stay Sioux - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it 50/50 at best in 20 years. Sioux yeah yeah!!!

Cool story, bro.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Just got back to the Ralph for the first time in a few years - it was great to see all the Sioux logos/mentions/etc. It'll be a bummer when they start jamming the Hawk down our throats, but I guess that's what we're in for.

Still think the choice of Hawks was awful, and even with incredibly low expectations for the logo - that's a huge disappointment also. So good to see Sioux gear outnumber Hawks gear 20-1 on gameday! At least this generation will be stubborn enough to stay Sioux - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it 50/50 at best in 20 years. Sioux yeah yeah!!!

Unfortunately the "hockey only" crowd is falling way behind the majority of the fanbases of the rest of the sports at UND in regards to supporting the new name and logo.  50 percent Sioux gear in 20 years?  Not likely. But you can continue to not accept reality and pretend we don't have a new name and logo. #notmynickname

The hockey team will be wearing gear with the Fighting Hawks logo on it next year.  Will you?!! :D

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Emailed fans@theralph.com to see if I could get a response about how the Ralph plans to proceed with integrating the new Fighting Hawks logo.  Got a pretty prompt response from the marketing manager:

Good morning,

We’re working with UND to integrate the logo into game elements (pre-game videos, player introductions, etc.) as well as digital signage.  Changes to permanent signage will have to be approved by our board.  While there may not be wholesale changes right away, you should continue to see the Fighting Hawk logo more prominently at hockey games (including new jerseys).  Have a good day

Garth Wiedrich

Marketing Manager

Ralph Engelstad Arena

One Ralph Engelstad Arena Drive

Grand Forks, ND 58203

(P) 701.777.0833

www.theralph.com

That seems pretty canned and ready. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Can't imagine where that idea would come from.
The football team prominently put the logo on their helmet and incorporated quite a bit of Fighting Hawk and hawk stuff into their gameday production, not to mention the staff has been the most supportive group at the University.
The Betty was rocking with a "Let's go Hawks" chant when UND won the MBB title. 
The crowd at the REA boos any time Fighting Hawks is mentioned.

Boom goes the dynamite!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Unfortunately the "hockey only" crowd is falling way behind the majority of the fanbases of the rest of the sports at UND in regards to supporting the new name and logo.  50 percent Sioux gear in 20 years?  Not likely. But you can continue to not accept reality and pretend we don't have a new name and logo. #notmynickname

The hockey team will be wearing gear with the Fighting Hawks logo on it next year.  Will you?!! :D

Nope, no Fighting Hawks gear for this guy. Happy to keep using the nickname I grew up with, and apparently most of the fans at the Ralph last weekend agree. I'd imagine all of those people have kids in head-to-toe Sioux gear from sizes now through adult too. Maybe some will go PC and switch to the Fn Hawks, but I don't think all. 

I accept reality - we have a new name and logo. If the name wasn't the most generic in athletics OR the logo wasn't super lame and embarassingly postal OR the whole nickname/logo process didn't play out the way it did - there's a chance I'd support the new name/logo and give it a shot. Roughriders/Nodaks fit that bill for me, but that didn't happen - can't say I'da switched then anyways.

Go Sioux! (good luck to the hoops vs Arizona, if Holy Cross can do it...)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

NO.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

There's a lot of us.  I always laugh at the 'hockey only' references because some people actually believe the majority of the 12k fans that fill The Ralph don't care about any of the other sports.

The Bison fans don't.

Biggest problem with the logo issue we are losing about $1,000,000 per year.  We should have launched the new brand with celebrations and sales of hawks gear and clothing the day the name was announced.  We have a new brand and haven't been the Fighting Sioux for years. I've had season hockey tix for 40 yrs and travel for some road games and 8 FF's, so I think I'm a UND hockey fan. I still wear Sioux gear and will until I wear it out, but I could give a rats behind about the former name or logo.  If anyone thinks the Sioux name or logo are coming back you are kidding yourselves.  I wouldn't want it anymore. It isn't worth the hassle.  We should be focused on building successful programs and championships. We should be focused on upgrading, expanding, remodeling and maintaining our facilities. To me it's the University and the people, athletes, coaches etc.  never has been, never will be about a logo to me.  When we aren't paying coaches and assistant coaches enough to keep them and cutting programs we should be bitching about the  revenues lost not the stupid logos, past or present.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

No mention of source of funds. Regardless, good to see the university spending toward the future. 

I thought about this earlier today.  If the HPC was built using money from donors and not from the state, wouldn't the cost of the new sign be covered by the same source?  And what about the Alerus?  I know UND has paid to have things added/changed, but its still a city owned facility.  There's probably less of a chance city money paid for the sign, but its still a possibility.  The op ed in the Herald this morning seemed a bit premature.