283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not sure I completely agree with that. The alternate NYI jersey is clearly not. Winter Classic jerseys are "trial balloons" for the future. The WCoH jerseys are somewhere in between. But I do understand what you are saying. 

I think the new font on the hockey jersey front would be fine, but that logo is a shoulder patch. 

My guess is that in the next two or three years you will see other logos or variations on this logo, the only place where I think this logo fits is with the aviation program and the flying team.

8 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Well the Football program spent years not really embracing the logo, now they are embracing the new logo and name. In contrast the Hockey program really embraced the fighting Sioux logo and Identity, and now they are not really embracing the new nickname or logo. The teams all have their own different sub cultures and styles, and the logo and font style doesn't really look great on hockey, especially considering the for hockey the tendency is to go for an older or more retro look rather than futuristic

The sioux logo would have looked horrible on a helmet. Can't put a huge logo on the chest like hockey either. There were sioux logos on all sorts of things like workout gear and workout sheets and playbooks etc. The sioux logo just didn't lend itself well to being on a football uniform.

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

People didn't want "cartoonish". OK, what came out yesterday is clearly not "cartoonish". This is "cartoonish". 

So we get something not cartoonish and that's all wrong because it's too corporate/abstract. 

When it comes to logos I see them fall into one of those two categories. 

So what else is there? 

I think there is middle ground between a cartoon and corporate.    I'm also not creative enough to make money creating this stuff so I can't develop an option.   But take the Iowa Hawkeye logo.   I don't see that as cartoonish or corporate, yet it's pretty simple.   That's just one example.  

Many of the problems we've seen in the past year regarding selecting a new nickname and choosing a logo stem from the methodology, not from the intent of the people involved.  If you ask one person, or a few people, with talent to come up with a nickname and a logo, you can easily end up with something unique and distinctive (Roghriders probably came closest among the finalists to fitting this bill).  However, if you ask 1000 people off the street to agree, you'll invariably end up with Eagles, Bulldogs, or the like, which is what happened here. 

In my opinion, more of the blame for the overall mediocrity of the new nickname and logo lie with those who defined the process (and failed to show any leadership themselves in implementing a process likely to produce a quality result) than with the people who voted in the nickname process.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I guess I'd tag Iowa's (abstract, two-color) as corporate. 

Yep.  If that was never Iowa's logo and UND just released that same thing as our new logo, people would be just as angry (if not angrier) than they are now.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Ok, but respectfully....that makes them "football only"?

Disagree and debate the differences of opinion all you want, no problem with that. But I submit that the terms "anti-hockey" and "football only" are both stemming from pure emotion and passion at this point. 

Those terms are like unicorns and leprechauns.

Ok - football only might be a reach, but in my opinion calling out individuals on a team that gave their heart and soul to give us an national championship because they aren't as fired up as Bubba about this change or because they expressed an opinion that seems to match almost everyone on this board is sad and counterproductive.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Irish said:

Ok - football only might be a reach, but in my opinion calling out individuals on a team that gave their heart and soul to give us an national championship because they aren't as fired up as Bubba about this change or because they expressed an opinion that seems to match almost everyone on this board is sad and counterproductive.  

I think (guess) if you could really get into Bubba's mind you would find out that he isn't fired up about the name change either.   He does understand what it means to be part of a larger organization (team) and how to support that team in public.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Irish said:

I don't think people are saying that every student athlete or coach has to be as fired up as Bubba is about the new logo.  Can you not like the final product, sure.  But these student atheletes are representing the University of North Dakota and the Athletic department.  Not saying they have to fall into line and all state publicly their support.  But as a representative of the UND athletic department, they should at least show a little refrain from criticizing it so vocally and publicly.  You want to talk counterproductive........well there you go.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I don't think people are saying that every student athlete or coach has to be as fired up as Bubba is about the new logo.  Can you not like the final product, sure.  But these student atheletes are representing the University of North Dakota and the Athletic department.  Not saying they have to fall into line and all state publicly their support.  But as a representative of the UND athletic department, they should at least show a little refrain from criticizing it so vocally and publicly.  You want to talk counterproductive........well there you go.

My feelings also.  Know who you are and who you represent.

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

This issue was handled just fine by the Hockey program - no one needed to be called out here including student athletes or coach Berry.  I feel the Hockey Program has earned a little respect.  Criticizing them because they haven't ratcheted up enough enthusiasm for a logo that is crap is very wrong.   They have always played hard and represented our university well.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Regarding not using the interlocked ND in the future:

I seem to recall when the version used by North Dakota was updated, from this to this, there was great noise as well. I recall letters to the GF Herald editor calling for Faison's head. 

My point? The interlocked has not been this great, unchanging constant that some claim. Nor have football helmets, as evidenced by this

Sorry Sic I disagree with you again.  Of course some people are going to be angry about anything.  It's a matter of degree.  I'm sure many more people are (or will be) upset about dropping the interlocking ND altogether than the number that were upset about the tweak that happened a few years ago.  

Think of it this way, UND has a very rich history and the interlocking ND was the oldest imagery associated with the university as far as I can tell.  You add that to the fact that the University's nickname and beloved Sioux logo were dropped just a few years ago, and the interlocking ND was the only image left tying UND to the past.  Granted, the interlocking ND logo is the not the best logo in the world and is too often confused for Notre Dame, but it was all UND had left of its historical imagery in athletics.  Given all the angst over this issue, did the administration really have to pour salt in the wound and take that away too?  It strikes me as unnecessary and done only to force teams to incorporate the new logo.  

The interlocking ND logo was not beloved like the Sioux logo.  There were/are many detractors to the logo.  But the bottom line is that if the new logo could not overtake the interlocking ND logo based on its own merit, it is not a good logo and not worthy of UND.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1