SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

8 hours ago, DaveK said:

Now let's stop living off the previous seasons and focus on the current one.

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

I'm including the good times as well as the bad and everything else in between. I'm not excluding anything.

So, wait.  In one post, we can't look at prior seasons, only the current one.
But then a few posts later, we're supposed to include the entire history of programs/conferences when discussing how "great/poor" they are?

Spin cycle is in full effect!  :)

• Upvote 4

Look, guys.  Dave certainly has just as much right to be a Gopher/MSU/Ohio State fan just as much as we have the right to be Sioux/Hawks fans.  He seems very young and is obviously in serious need of attention.  I gave him some of it, and that was a mistake.  I won't make it again.  I suggest we all ignore him in an effort to save the thread.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Five of those six teams have been around much longer than the conference. When they joined the conference they brought all of their national championships won in previous eras. If you think they have to leave those titles behind in the conferences that they came from... well then I guess that makes you a special kind of stupid.

Wow DaveK!  You are so much nicer in person.  Have a great day!

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Young? :lol:

I wish! The fact of the matter is I'm an old geezer, old enough to remember the Herb Brooks era of Gopher hockey.

Try again.

Herb Brooks?  Yeah, I remember when his teams won all those Big Ten and National Championships!

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, DaveK said:

But I'm not from Minnesota, truly I do not care. That state of hockey stuff doesn't do a thing for me. I dislike both UMD and SCSU, and feel completely neutral towards both Bemidji and Mankato. I don't like the Wild either. I'm a Gopher fan, not a fan of all things Minnesota.

Since you are a gopher fan, why do you spend so much time here? I mean, if I were a gopher fan I would despise this place. Sort of like how I NEVER go over to bisonville. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, DaveK said:

For many years it bothered me to have the Gophers and Badgers not in the same conference as Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State. It was like a dream come true for me when, thanks to the addition of Penn State's D1 hockey program, the Big Ten finally recognized hockey as a conference sport. As much as I loved the old WCHA, I now love the Big Ten so much more.

The problem that I have is with the likes of UND, DU, CC, SCSU, UMD, UNO, Miami, and Western Michigan to abandon what remained of the old WCHA/CCHA. That was a classless move in my opinion. If they left to join a conference that they were already members of in every other sport but hockey I would support them all the way, but for them to do what they did at the time they did it was an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction to the Big Ten. It was a petty and spiteful move made based on a bad case of sour grapes.

You cannot be serious with this? Are you a politician?

Current Massey Ratings
Please note that the NCHC has "9" teams. Massey for some reason has Arizona State included in the NCHC ranking calculation. Even with that drag* ... 

Team Record Tms Rat Pwr Off Def HFA SoS SSF EW EL  
NCHC

49-35-15
9 1
-0.17 1
0.00 0.00  
Big 10

45-27-11
6 2
0.23 3
0.00 0.00  
Hockey East

71-48-17
12 3
0.34 2
0.00 0.00  
Eastern CAC

44-48-12
12 4
0.48 4
0.00 0.00  
WCHA

16-45-5
10 5
0.05 5
0.00 0.00  
Atlantic Hockey

17-39-12
11 6
0.11 6
0.00 0.00  
Correlation 940   1000 998 972 857 -102 955 991 NaN NaN

http://mratings.com/rate.php?s=ch2017&sub=11590&c=1

*ASU is 51; CC is 33. 

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

Five of those six teams have been around much longer than the conference. When they joined the conference they brought all of their national championships won in previous eras. If you think they have to leave those titles behind in the conferences that they came from... well then I guess that makes you a special kind of stupid.

Are you sure you aren't looking in the mirror at yourself? You don't see NCHC fans including championships previously won in a different conference. Yet it seems to be a BTHC fan thing to do to make them feel better for how impotent the conference has been so far or it's probably just you. Most likely the latter.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Are you sure you aren't looking in the mirror at yourself? You don't see NCHC fans including championships previously won in a different conference. Yet it seems to be a BTHC fan thing to do to make them feel better for how impotent the conference has been so far or it's probably just you. Most likely the latter.

The conference it's self doesn't take credit for the titles won in the WCHA.

9 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Looks like another sellout!!

ows_14566282826256.jpg

Ugh, this seriously bothers me. I'm by no means a Gopher fan, but i did grow up as one, and I can remember when that place was packed, almost every game. It sucks to see what is happening there. I will give it to their student section, they seem to still pack those sections and they are a pretty vocal bunch. But they need to make the games more affordable for the others. Particularly their younger alumni. Hard for people in their late 20s or early 30s to afford those ticket prices when they are just starting out, or raising young families. At that point, people will just watch on TV.

Even without being a fan of the team, there is no doubt they have, and can still recruit talent. No reason they shouldn't be able to fill that place better than they do. Obviously they are not the only show in town, and the success of the Wild, and maybe even the Gopher Basketball team has something to do with it. But the U needs to take a hard look at their ticket prices, and who they schedule for non-conference opponents.

As a team that has one of the larger arenas in college hockey, and having a pretty historic program, they could definitely do a better job that they are a filling seat and attracting crowds. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ugh, this seriously bothers me. I'm by no means a Gopher fan, but i did grow up as one, and I can remember when that place was packed, almost every game. It sucks to see what is happening there. I will give it to their student section, they seem to still pack those sections and they are a pretty vocal bunch. But they need to make the games more affordable for the others. Particularly their younger alumni. Hard for people in their late 20s or early 30s to afford those ticket prices when they are just starting out, or raising young families. At that point, people will just watch on TV.

Even without being a fan of the team, there is no doubt they have, and can still recruit talent. No reason they shouldn't be able to fill that place better than they do. Obviously they are not the only show in town, and the success of the Wild, and maybe even the Gopher Basketball team has something to do with it. But the U needs to take a hard look at their ticket prices, and who they schedule for non-conference opponents.

As a team that has one of the larger arenas in college hockey, and having a pretty historic program, they could definitely do a better job that they are a filling seat and attracting crowds. 

It has more to do with leaving the WCHA for the B1G. They had a story in one of the papers where the scalpers couldn't give tickets away. 

Wisconsin is felling it too, but Eaves made it worse. At least fans are coming back to see a winning Badger team, but still a long way off from what it use to be.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

UND has no obligation to remain in a conference, just as the Gopher would have no obligation to remain in the conference.

Minnesota acted first and did what it believed best for it.
North Dakota then did what it believed best for it. 
Nothing more need be said. 

• Upvote 3