SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

8 minutes ago, DaveK said:

GREAT GAME!!! That was a great example of why I love college hockey so much, a game that to me was reminiscent of the classic Gophers/Badgers games back in the '80s and '90s when that rivalry was at its peak. I'm always happy to see a Gophers victory but tonight, at the same time, I'm also happy to see a Wisconsin team that appears to be most definitely on their way back to national prominence. They gave the Gophers everything they could handle and almost managed to steal a win. A rivalry is always better when both teams are good, and while that hasn't been the case in recent years there appears to be a resurgence in the Minnesota/Wisconsin rivalry coming on strong. The Gophers are now looking like one of the hottest teams in the nation, having won 9 of the last 10 games including the last 7 in a row. While those 10 games have not exactly been the toughest part of the schedule for this season, at least they're taking care of business and winning the games they're supposed to win. That is something that was lacking for the Gophers the past couple of seasons. Too many times they got caught looking past an opponent and losing games they had no business losing, which was frustrating considering how well they would play against better opponents. We still have a long way to go, but for now I am beginning to feel more and more optimistic about seeing the maroon and gold back in the Frozen Four where they belong..

Winning the B1g regular season didn't help them the last two years. Minnesota better win a game in the NCAA's before thinking on being in the Frozen Four.

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

GREAT GAME!!! That was a great example of why I love college hockey so much, a game that to me was reminiscent of the classic Gophers/Badgers games back in the '80s and '90s when that rivalry was at its peak. I'm always happy to see a Gophers victory but tonight, at the same time, I'm also happy to see a Wisconsin team that appears to be most definitely on their way back to national prominence. They gave the Gophers everything they could handle and almost managed to steal a win. A rivalry is always better when both teams are good, and while that hasn't been the case in recent years there appears to be a resurgence in the Minnesota/Wisconsin rivalry coming on strong. The Gophers are now looking like one of the hottest teams in the nation, having won 9 of the last 10 games including the last 7 in a row. While those 10 games have not exactly been the toughest part of the schedule for this season, at least they're taking care of business and winning the games they're supposed to win. That is something that was lacking for the Gophers the past couple of seasons. Too many times they got caught looking past an opponent and losing games they had no business losing, which was frustrating considering how well they would play against better opponents. We still have a long way to go, but for now I am beginning to feel more and more optimistic about seeing the maroon and gold back in the Frozen Four where they belong..

I admire your allegiance and passion for the Goofers but why post this on a Sioux hockey forum and not on a Goofer or Lil6 hockey blog site? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I admire your allegiance and passion for the Goofers but why post this on a Sioux hockey forum and not on a Goofer or Lil6 hockey blog site? 

Because his need for attention is at the root of that passion.  He may be old in years, but he is a child in that respect.  Otherwise, you are right, he would not waste his time here seeking responses that most people would not want or need.  We all knew that kid in middle school. 

• Upvote 2

So, I'm starting to get into a debate with a CC fan who's decided to lecture me on how disrespectful UND fans are regarding the national anthem (yelling SIOUX!) at the very end. While I find this tradition boorish and played, I don't believe any UND fans' intentions are to disrespect the anthem or the flag. I pointed out this older man who sits next to me at CC games who yells, "Let's go Tigers!" At exactly the same spot as where UND fans yell, Sioux! His retort is that it's different because it's only a CC fan or two and plus this guy is starting his cheer right "around" the word brave whereas UND fans are deliberately trying to cover up the word, brave. I called him out on his home team bias-why is it ok for one side to do it but not an opposing team. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So, I'm starting to get into a debate with a CC fan who's decided to lecture me on how disrespectful UND fans are regarding the national anthem (yelling SIOUX!) at the very end. While I find this tradition boorish and played, I don't believe any UND fans' intentions are to disrespect the anthem or the flag. I pointed out this older man who sits next to me at CC games who yells, "Let's go Tigers!" At exactly the same spot as where UND fans yell, Sioux! His retort is that it's different because it's only a CC fan or two and plus this guy is starting his cheer right "around" the word brace whereas UND fans are deliberately trying to cover up the word, brace. I called him out on his home team bias-why is it ok for one side to do it but not an opposing team. Thoughts?

Blackhawk fans cheer during the whole National Anthem. 

I don't have a problem with UND saying Sioux at the end, but some do. 

52 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So, I'm starting to get into a debate with a CC fan who's decided to lecture me on how disrespectful UND fans are regarding the national anthem (yelling SIOUX!) at the very end. While I find this tradition boorish and played, I don't believe any UND fans' intentions are to disrespect the anthem or the flag. I pointed out this older man who sits next to me at CC games who yells, "Let's go Tigers!" At exactly the same spot as where UND fans yell, Sioux! His retort is that it's different because it's only a CC fan or two and plus this guy is starting his cheer right "around" the word brace whereas UND fans are deliberately trying to cover up the word, brace. I called him out on his home team bias-why is it ok for one side to do it but not an opposing team. Thoughts

I've heard fans in other arena do the same thing - they shout "Huskies" at the same place in the song in St. Cloud for example and this is one of the most wacko campuses in the Midwest (they voted a guy in as homecoming queen then a few years later they outright cancelled homecoming permanently because it just encouraged drinking).  

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I've heard fans in other arena do the same thing - they shout "Huskies" at the same place in the song in St. Cloud for example and this is one of the most wacko campuses in the Midwest (they voted a guy in as homecoming queen then a few years later they outright cancelled homecoming permanently because it just encouraged drinking).  

I agree with you. I also pointed out that when I went to a CC series in Duluth, the fans there yelled "Dogs!" At the end of the anthem. Not saying it makes it right, just calling the guy out for having singled out UND fans. If you wanna see some obnoxious traditions, just google "Lawson Lunatics" and you'll get to read about the stuff they yell at opposing teams. 

9 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I know this is more of a rhetorical question because we all know his whole existence revolves around being an antagonist, which is quite sad. What other reason would there be to continually go on a rivals thread to say how great your team is.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

So, I'm starting to get into a debate with a CC fan who's decided to lecture me on how disrespectful UND fans are regarding the national anthem (yelling SIOUX!) at the very end. While I find this tradition boorish and played, I don't believe any UND fans' intentions are to disrespect the anthem or the flag. 

Is it disrespectful? Yes.

On a scale of 1 to 10? Point 5 

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Well, FWIW, I did in fact post something very similar on GPL last night. Having said that, this is the "2016-17 college hockey (non-UND hockey)" thread, so...

Lol, keep clinging to that belief. If that's what makes you feel better about your presence or existence.