SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It has more to do with leaving the WCHA for the B1G. They had a story in one of the papers where the scalpers couldn't give tickets away. 

Wisconsin is felling it too, but Eaves made it worse. At least fans are coming back to see a winning Badger team, but still a long way off from what it use to be.

Agreed, that is part of it. Most (obviously not all) fans, miss the old, historic, rivalries. Wisco definitely got the worse end of it with Eaves and some terrible years. BUT, even when UND went down to Mariucci there were some open seats, because they just charge too much.

Tough to charge that much for a college hockey ticket, when you also have to pay for parking down there. Especially when there are so many other shows in town. Multiple factors at play, but I'd say lower your ticket price a bit, bring some of the fans back, then you can reassess any future raises. Gotta build that fan base back up though. I know the fans are there, but I think you would get more to watch in person instead of TV, if you made it more affordable.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Minnesota acted first and did what it believed best for it.
North Dakota then did what it believed best for it. 
Nothing more need be said. 

Not sure MN really had much of a choice in the matter. I'm pretty sure all the B1G teams were pretty much told, "this is happening". Which is fine.

But, to your point, UND had to reasses their situation and did what they believed was best, AND I'd say it has worked out just fine for them. They can hardly look at the last handful of years and regret their performance.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Not sure MN really had much of a choice in the matter. I'm pretty sure all the B1G teams were pretty much told, "this is happening". Which is fine.

But, to your point, UND had to reasses their situation and did what they believed was best, AND I'd say it has worked out just fine for them. They can hardly look at the last handful of years and regret their performance.

It also worked out for the WCHA too. Mankato and Michigan Tech making the NCAA benefited them.

Just now, cberkas said:

It also worked out for the WCHA too. Mankato and Michigan Tech making the NCAA benefited them.

Agreed, I think without some of the perennial powers that were in the WCHA, they have had much more room to perform. Bemidji too, who always seems to have talent and ability, just needs to find more consistency.

That being said, I would still love to see some of the old WCHA rivalries on a consistent basis, particularly MN and WI, but the NCHC has been pretty fun too. As long as we keep scheduling MN and WI in the non-conference, I'm happy.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I think without some of the perennial powers that were in the WCHA, they have had much more room to perform. Bemidji too, who always seems to have talent and ability, just needs to find more consistency.

That being said, I would still love to see some of the old WCHA rivalries on a consistent basis, particularly MN and WI, but the NCHC has been pretty fun too. As long as we keep scheduling MN and WI in the non-conference, I'm happy.

NCHC has done fairly well playing teams in the WCHA, I'm sure they would like to play more a year but they need to find ways to get the other conferences on the schedule too. UND has found away to play at least 2 WCHA teams a year, and seems to have a rotation going on.

So, since we've been going around in circles, I'll take a stab at something else.

This is Moy's bracketology for this week:

East Regional (Providence):
14 Boston College vs. 3 Minnesota-Duluth
10 Vermont vs. 6 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
13 Ohio State vs. 4 Boston University
11 Cornell vs. 5 Massachusetts-Lowell

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
15 Air Force vs. 1 Penn State
9 Western Michigan vs. 8 Minnesota

West Regional (Fargo):
16 Bemidji State vs. 2 Denver
12 Harvard vs. 7 North Dakota

What do you guys think? Wasn't Harvard just a really high seed? I don't think Minny wants to see WMU in round one (Dave may disagree ;) ). This bracket feels really spread out and has quality all over the board. No true "Regional of Death", IMO. I'd love this to be the tournament, but of course, this'll change.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, since we've been going around in circles, I'll take a stab at something else.

10 Vermont vs. 6 Union

West Regional (Fargo):

What do you guys think? Wasn't Harvard just a really high seed? I don't think Minny wants to see WMU in round one. This bracket feels really spread out and has quality all over the board. No true "Regional of Death", IMO. I'd love this to be the tournament, but of course, this'll change.

I thought it was funny when someone said Penn State is going to be like Mankato, #1 seed then gets rolled by the #16 seed. 

Just think if Miami makes it and gets Penn State in Cincinnati.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

10 Vermont vs. 6 Union

West Regional (Fargo):

What do you guys think? Wasn't Harvard just a really high seed? I don't think Minny wants to see WMU in round one. This bracket feels really spread out and has quality all over the board. No true "Regional of Death", IMO. I'd love this to be the tournament, but of course, this'll change.

Harvard has lost 3 straight to RPI, Union, and Dartmouth... falling like a rock in PWR

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

10 Vermont vs. 6 Union

West Regional (Fargo):

What do you guys think? Wasn't Harvard just a really high seed? I don't think Minny wants to see WMU in round one (Dave may disagree ;) ). This bracket feels really spread out and has quality all over the board. No true "Regional of Death", IMO. I'd love this to be the tournament, but of course, this'll change.

Harvard would be a tough first matchup as they have a lot of skill, however, they have lost to some pretty bad teams lately.  Also, making them travel that far would be a plus.

I think MN would take the WMU draw honestly; their speed would give WMU some serious problems.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Harvard would be a tough first matchup as they have a lot of skill, however, they have lost to some pretty bad teams lately.  Also, making them travel that far would be a plus.

I think MN would take the WMU draw honestly; their speed would give WMU some serious problems.

Think so? I think our speed is on par with Minny and WMU gave us trouble. Plus, I know Minny doesn't enjoy a physical game and WMU brings such.

With respect to Penn St., their season gives me a sense of deja vu.  Their season, and all the discussion fans and writers are having about it, remind me so much of the 2010-11 Yale season.

Up to that time the ECAC had been pretty terrible.  Yale did have a couple of appearances in the tournament including some upsets that we remember, but generally speaking they received no respect in the hockey world, nor did the ECAC.  At about this point in that season, Yale was something like 17-1 or 18-2.  They were elevated to #1 in the polls, much to the outrage of everyone who pointed out they literally had beaten no one of any consequence to that point.  Generally, people who claimed to be "in the know" just said "wait and see what happens."

Yale did start to lose a few games, but because of their hot start maintained a pretty high ranking going into the tournament. 

In the NCAA's, they escaped a scrappy Air Force team before getting rolled by eventual champion Duluth.

But I remember coming away from the tournament thinking, "Ok, they were a little better than I thought."  I didn't think they were the best team in the country, nor did I even think they were a top 4 or 5 team after watching the two NCAA appearances, but I concluded they were certainly a top 10 team.

That's kind of what I think I'll see with Penn St. as the year progresses.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Think so? I think our speed is on par with Minny and WMU gave us trouble. Plus, I know Minny doesn't enjoy a physical game and WMU brings such.

That physical game of Western's doesn't translate well in the NCAA's when they start calling every little bump out there.  If your PP is decent you can make Western pay for that style.

5 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

With respect to Penn St., their season gives me a sense of deja vu.  Their season, and all the discussion fans and writers are having about it, remind me so much of the 2010-11 Yale season.

Up to that time the ECAC had been pretty terrible.  Yale did have a couple of appearances in the tournament including some upsets that we remember, but generally speaking they received no respect in the hockey world, nor did the ECAC.  At about this point in that season, Yale was something like 17-1 or 18-2.  They were elevated to #1 in the polls, much to the outrage of everyone who pointed out they literally had beaten no one of any consequence to that point.  Generally, people who claimed to be "in the know" just said "wait and see what happens."

Yale did start to lose a few games, but because of their hot start maintained a pretty high ranking going into the tournament. 

In the NCAA's, they escaped a scrappy Air Force team before getting rolled by eventual champion Duluth.

But I remember coming away from the tournament thinking, "Ok, they were a little better than I thought."  I didn't think they were the best team in the country, nor did I even think they were a top 4 or 5 team after watching the two NCAA appearances, but I concluded they were certainly a top 10 team.

Absolutely 100% spot on, IMO.

6 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

That's a good comparison, in all honesty it seems like there's more often than not a team like this.

Myself, I'm more impressed/worried about a team that makes this sort of run towards the back half of the season.

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

That physical game of Western's doesn't translate well in the NCAA's when they start calling every little bump out there.  If your PP is decent you can make Western pay for that style.

That's fair, but I don't think this is the average WMU team. They have more top end skill this year since the year Danny DeKeyser was there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That's a good comparison, in all honesty it seems like there's more often than not a team like this.

Myself, I'm more impressed/worried about a team that makes this sort of run towards the back half of the season.

Kind of like Northeastern last year?

Oops :D

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

We made a similar run to them last year so it was the unstoppable force vs the immovable object.

Union comes to mind.

I was totally just kidding. It was just that narrative the Northeastern had coming in that they were the hottest team in the tournament and many picked them to beat us.

Union was really good that entire season.