SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Remember, you're talking to someone who went to a school were budgets and projections obviously aren't taught.

When are the final proposals due for the mandated cuts? UND has been very open and upfront about what they are planning on doing, not so much for other NDUS schools outside of delaying funding, hiring freezes and kicking the can down the road. Very curious to see where the NDSU athletic department is trimming their budget since, as you noted, the students obviously foiled plan A.

Didn't you read McFeely's article about every school but UND being in great financial shape?  

5 minutes ago, homer said:

Didn't you read McFeely's article about every school but UND being in great financial shape?  

Yes, unfortunately. Not sure how he typed it with a straight face.

On a semi-related note, the GFH had a really good Q&A with Schafer on the budget issues, going a little more in-depth on some of the decisions and why they were made. 

51 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Remember, you're talking to someone who went to a school were budgets and projections obviously aren't taught.

When are the final proposals due for the mandated cuts? UND has been very open and upfront about what they are planning on doing, not so much for other NDUS schools outside of delaying funding, hiring freezes and kicking the can down the road. Very curious to see where the NDSU athletic department is trimming their budget since, as you noted, the students obviously foiled plan A.

Remind me which school carried a 5 M deficit?  Fact is UND is  in worse shape than expected and that's why Schafer is slash and burning. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Remind me which school carried a 5 M deficit?  Fact is UND is  in worse shape than expected and that's why Schafer is slash and burning. 

There was a $5 million projected budget shortfall due to the legislature capping the tuition increases, causing the revenue side of the model to be shorter than projected, not an actual deficit. Big difference, but I wouldn't expect you to understand. UND already addressed that and is now taking actual steps to address the mandated cuts plus some instead of delaying the inevitable (all without playing PR games in the media with child care facilities). Schafer is doing what should be done at every school within NDUS, UND being no exception.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

FCOA was already accounted for in the budget (which also includes increased revenue)..... so yes.  Good luck on the increased fee requests to pay for ndsu's FCOA.....

No luck needed. They turned down the request to help with increased travel costs etc. TM is now making all season ticket holders(even end zone) pay TM dues for their seats. They have also set up a separate giving fund for future costs. Not to mention that funding has already been secured to the tune of 900K.

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

There was a $5 million projected budget shortfall due to the legislature capping the tuition increases, causing the revenue side of the model to be shorter than projected, not an actual deficit. Big difference, but I wouldn't expect you to understand. UND already addressed that and is now taking actual steps to address the mandated cuts plus some instead of delaying the inevitable (all without playing PR games in the media with child care facilities). Schafer is doing what should be done at every school within NDUS, UND being no exception.

This is correct. UND went with the higher tuition cap that was authorized by the State Board of Higher Education but later the State Legislature imposed the lower cap, which caused the shortfall. There wasn't enough time to reverse the process for UND so it was stuck with the original $5M shorfall. 

19 minutes ago, bison73 said:

No luck needed. They turned down the request to help with increased travel costs etc. TM is now making all season ticket holders(even end zone) pay TM dues for their seats. They have also set up a separate giving fund for future costs. Not to mention that funding has already been secured to the tune of 900K.

Did the travel costs increase or did the money they got from the school that was "allocated" for travel costs decrease so they went to the students to help make it up? Because travel costs don't almost triple in just 2 years...

Are they going to use all that extra money to finally pay off the last $1.4 million for locker/office renovations from a decade ago the NDSU Foundation has been carrying? How about that big shortfall in SHAC fundraising or did they cut out enough stuff and recycle enough bleachers to get that taken care of?

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, bison73 said:

What they are charging for football tickets is outrageous when you factor in all the TM fees.  That is great they can get it now but the crash is going to be all-time when reality sets in with the FB program.  NDSU is going to be counting on that money every year and there is no way they can continue at this pace. 

Have they every shown a percentage increase to you guys over the past 10 years?

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Did the travel costs increase or did the money they got from the school that was "allocated" for travel costs decrease so they went to the students to help make it up? Because travel costs don't almost triple in just 2 years...

Are they going to use all that extra money to finally pay off the last $1.4 million for locker/office renovations from a decade ago the NDSU Foundation has been carrying? How about that big shortfall in SHAC fundraising or did they cut out enough stuff and recycle enough bleachers to get that taken care of?

I already told you what the money was going to be used for.

Travel costs do go up considerably when you want to travel on different days, stay longer and add more games to your schedule.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

What they are charging for football tickets is outrageous when you factor in all the TM fees.  That is great they can get it now but the crash is going to be all-time when reality sets in with the FB program.  NDSU is going to be counting on that money every year and there is no way they can continue at this pace. 

Have they every shown a percentage increase to you guys over the past 10 years?

There were over 2000 season ticket requests that couldnt be filled last year.   So they are testing the market to see what it will bear. Just like any successful program. Plus with the fact that the tailgate scene has become an event unto its self I will let you worry about our supposed demise.

What reality do you speak of?

9 minutes ago, bison73 said:

There were over 2000 season ticket requests that couldnt be filled last year.   So they are testing the market to see what it will bear. Just like any successful program. Plus with the fact that the tailgate scene has become an event unto its self I will let you worry about our supposed demise.

What reality do you speak of?

That their all-in season ticket costs are not too different than LSU's.

32 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

That their all-in season ticket costs are not too different than LSU's.

50 yard line seats are expensive no matter what successful  program you go to where they are selling out and have a waiting list to get tickets.

You dont think people realize what they are spending?

33 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

If UND hockey ticket prices are sustainable why can't NDSU's be?  Is there a big price difference?  Hate to ask since this thread is way off the rails...

My tickets are on the 50. about 20 rows up on the aisle. cost--240.00 for tickets and 800.00 TM dues for the seat.

The rows below me the TM dues are more expensive.

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

My tickets are on the 50. about 20 rows up on the aisle. cost--240.00 for tickets and 800.00 TM dues for the seat.

The rows below me the TM dues are more expensive.

You definitely planned that right, the dues for the seats right below you is $2,750/seat (!!). That's quite the jump in price to go up one less step.

15 hours ago, bison73 said:

There were over 2000 season ticket requests that couldnt be filled last year.   So they are testing the market to see what it will bear. Just like any successful program. 

No argument on any of that, but at what donation level are those would-be season ticket holders interested in joining? Will be interesting to see. UND has had a similar situation in the REA for quite a few years. People are interested in season tickets until they see what donation level they need to be at to get how many tickets or the location they want.

15 hours ago, bison73 said:

I already told you what the money was going to be used for.

Travel costs do go up considerably when you want to travel on different days, stay longer and add more games to your schedule.

You repeated the excuse the athletic department came up with after the students called them out on the carpet. It may be part of it but it is nowhere near the whole story. That's not just my opinion, that is what I've been told by people with a vested interest in NDSU and their athletic programs. I work with a lot of different businesses, if costs of any kind (travel) jump unexpectedly by 2-3x (only 2 years into a 5 year agreement) with no material reason (changes in opponents/conferences/etc), than whoever is planning the travel or doing the budgeting should be fired.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You definitely planned that right, the dues for the seats right below you is $2,750/seat (!!). That's quite the jump in price to go up one less step.

No argument on any of that, but at what donation level are those would-be season ticket holders interested in joining? Will be interesting to see. UND has had a similar situation in the REA for quite a few years. People are interested in season tickets until they see what donation level they need to be at to get how many tickets or the location they want.

You repeated the excuse the athletic department came up with after the students called them on the carpet. It may be part of it but it is nowhere near the whole story. That's not just my opinion, that is what I've been told by people with a vested interest in NDSU and their athletic programs. I work with a lot of different businesses, if costs of any kind (travel) jump unexpectedly by 2-3x (only 2 years into a 5 year agreement) with no material reason (changes in opponents/conferences/etc), than whoever is planning the travel or doing the budgeting should be fired.

From what I understand there is some pretty big money waiting on tickets. I do know that staff were giving up their extra tickets so others could get tickets. A couple of years ago a guy asked how much it would cost to get tickets. They quoted 6 or 7 figures and he wrote them a check. They found him tickets.

5 hours ago, bison73 said:

From what I understand there is some pretty big money waiting on tickets. I do know that staff were giving up their extra tickets so others could get tickets. A couple of years ago a guy asked how much it would cost to get tickets. They quoted 6 or 7 figures and he wrote them a check. They found him tickets.

Your football staff was selling their tickets? 

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I didn't notice many donors at the game?

Was it still walk right in?

I'm going to assume these would be the biggest crowds UND baseball has ever seen being it will more than likely be the last games of its existence ever and all...