SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

7 hours ago, UND-1 said:

On the topic of UND dropping sports, what is UND's plan for Swimming and Diving?  I have heard their antiquated pool is now leaking.  If they aren't going to sink any money into it then why keep those programs?  Having that as their home pool is the equivalent of the football team playing their games at Memorial Stadium or the baseball team at Kraft.

you would think that the hyslop addition would be torn down/off or the entire hyslop demoed before any money is put into repairing anything or there.

40 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you would think that the hyslop addition would be torn down/off or the entire hyslop demoed before any money is put into repairing anything or there.

Also there was rumors before of a addition onto the wellness with a pool, so maybe they thought they would be able to switch over at that time? I haven't heard or seen anything more on the subject though, and I don't think a master planning ever had a pool at the wellness, so maybe it is just the wellness' dream. 

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

We both play BB so thats a fair comparison. We both play football in the same division as well so that a fair comparison. Not only on the team plays but attendance. We dont play hockey so you really cant make that comparison. But we know thats your hold card when your rebuttals start going south. :cool::silly:

UND plays in smaller arenas then NDSU in all the major sports except volleyball, plus with Fargo having a slightly higher metro population I hope you have higher attendance and of course how well the team is doing. UND football was towards the top in attendance before we moved up for this reason alone, lose and attendance go down (look at your numbers from 2009) people didn't jump on the Bison bandwagon until 2011, have a mediocre season after season and your bandwagon will fall apart, history has proved that.

35 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

UND plays in smaller arenas then NDSU in all the major sports except volleyball, plus with Fargo having a slightly higher metro population I hope you have higher attendance and of course how well the team is doing. UND football was towards the top in attendance before we moved up for this reason alone, lose and attendance go down (look at your numbers from 2009) people didn't jump on the Bison bandwagon until 2011, have a mediocre season after season and your bandwagon will fall apart, history has proved that.

Oh come on. Ive posted the attendance stats numerous times to rebutt this same statement you keep making. Just because you keep repeating it doesnt make it true.

Avg attendance

2012   18,516

2011    18,143

2010    15,944

2009    16,515

2008   18,032

2007    18,141

2006   16,377

Yep everything just fell apart  LOL

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

Oh come on. Ive posted the attendance stats numerous times to rebutt this same statement you keep making. Just because you keep repeating it doesnt make it true.

Avg attendance

2012   18,516

2011    18,143

2010    15,944

2009    16,515

2008   18,032

2007    18,141

2006   16,377

2010 you had 12,202 in the first ever playoff game in the dome after a 7-4 season (at least you didn't get screwed by WIU like we did), I don't think your bandwagon was fully there. In 2011 you had over 17,000 in the second ever playoff game and a 10-1 record..see the difference. And before you bring up it was a holiday weekend and this and that, UND hockey had 11,742 against Notre Dame. Maybe all your football fans were at the REA instead of the dome.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Yah, cause that is a vital part of an athletic program's viability at UND. 

Being male was their biggest flaw.

Not sure that gender makes my Top Ten.

1. Some years, due to weather/wetness, no home games until May.

2. Home game weather often iffy (cold, wind).

3. Too far from campus to draw casual students.

4. Too many day games to draw casual adults.

5. No marketing (unless you call the little two foot gameday sign on the ground at 17th & Columbia "marketing").

6. Not hockey.

7. Bizarre conference affiliations (NJIT?); too few quality (i.e., local/regional/traditional) rivalries.

8. No marquee alums (that I can name).

9. No recent winning tradition.

10. It's baseball, a notoriously fickle fan sport, and one that too few area parents wanted to immerse their kids in as spectators (based on personal observation over the years).

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

2. Home game weather often iffy (cold, wind).

3. Too far from campus to draw casual students.

4. Too many day games to draw casual adults.

5. No marketing (unless you call the little two foot gameday sign on the ground at 17th & Columbia "marketing").

6. Not hockey.

7. Bizarre conference affiliations (NJIT?); too few quality (i.e., local/regional/traditional) rivalries.

8. No marquee alums (that I can name).

9. No recent winning tradition.

10. It's baseball, a notoriously fickle fan sport, and one that too few area parents wanted to immerse their kids in as spectators (based on personal observation over the years).

Right.  The 10 reasons you listed weren't even on the radar when the choices were made about what to cut.  

You guys give our athletic director way too much credit.  Gender was #1.  Which male sport was #2.  

Folks, view this from the other direction:

Most recently, men's tennis was added for the Big Sky. Before that women's hockey was added. Prior to those two offering changes (correct me if I'm wrong) the last offering change was when wrestling (I guess today to be PC I have to say men's wrestling) was dropped. 

Now, two men's offerings are gone.

The next time the "stink eye" needs to go at offerings or budgets, clearly, it's a women's sport. 

But no matter what, the budget is balanced. And I trust Ed Schafer's decision making. (Face it, Faison recommends and opines, Schafer decides.) 

For a school this size, If you didn't realize that 21 sports is a DII department and that a reshaping would happen in a DI world, you are naive. 

• Upvote 2

On April 14, 2016 at 8:16 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Random thoughts about baseball:

1.  Do you think that UND does the classy thing and gives every player on the roster a 'senior day' sendoff at the end of the year, with the framed jersey, etc.?  Maybe some special fan/alumni events around the last few games at Kraft?

I floated this question on here a month ago, but I have seen and heard nothing.  Is anyone aware of planned events this weekend?  I predict decent to overflow crowds, even though the weather forecast is lousy for Fri/Sat.  Sunday looks better, 65 and sunny.

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

19 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

... the weather forecast is lousy for Fri/Sat.  Sunday looks better, 65 and sunny.

They're talking about frost on Saturday morning. It's mid-May and we have case in point. 

22 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Folks....

In related news, womens hockey will not be ticketed next year.

At all?  :silly:

Per my sources, there was a point in the season this year where they stopped ticketing.  "Wasn't worth putting people at the door" is what I was told.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The next time the "stink eye" needs to go at offerings or budgets, clearly, it's a women's sport. 

29 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Folks....In related news, womens hockey will not be ticketed next year.

I'd say they're setting them up for the "stink eye" ... patience. 

41 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Folks....

In related news, womens hockey will not be ticketed next year.

Don't do that - that could hurt the feelings of those with a misshaped sense of reality.

Oh, and I hear there are a few of those within the athletic department...

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd say they're setting them up for the "stink eye" ... patience. 

Lets hope so. I feel sorry for the girls especially those that could end up in the olympics, but women's hockey was never going to be a big money maker and attendance for it is brutal. Title IX is going to be the key to remove it. 

• Downvote 1

On 4/28/2016 at 0:08 AM, bison73 said:

Avg attendance

2012   18,516

2011    18,143

2010    15,944

2009    16,515

2008   18,032

2007    18,141

2006   16,377

Fargo has always been a football town and NDSU has always drawn well. Grand Forks is and always will be a hockey town. I don't see why this is even a discussion as it is quite obvious.