SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

When UND went DI the then acting athletic director* (the man tasked with cleaning up Buning's mess) told the assembled coaches that things would be fine through the transition but that in 8 to 10 years a couple of them would be gone as it makes no sense nor is fiscally viable for a DI UND to be supporting 21 programs. 

*Love him or hate him, I personally do miss Phil Harmeson. 

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When UND went DI the then acting athletic director* (the man tasked with cleaning up Buning's mess) told the assembled coaches that things would be fine through the transition but that in 8 to 10 years a couple of them would be gone as it makes no sense nor is fiscally viable for a DI UND to be supporting 21 programs. 

What is the minimum number of programs for DI? Does our neighbors (NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, MSU) have 21?

20 hours ago, darell1976 said:

What is the minimum number of programs for DI? Does our neighbors (NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, MSU) have 21?

Someone else said 14 is the minimum earlier. By my count it's:

ndsu - 16,

USD - 17,

SDSU - 21,

Montana - 15,

MSU - 15, and

UND - 21 but will have 19.

On 4/23/2016 at 11:10 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Schafer has said multiple times that UND doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem. 

............if only Kelley would have been half the president Clifford was.

Can't lead without setting a tone of accountability at some point.

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Someone else said 14 is the minimum earlier. By my count ndsu has 16, USD has 17, SDSU has 21, Montana has 15, MSU has 15, and UND has 21 but will have 19.

So UND could cut as much as 5 more programs and still be DI compliant that's good, that we aren't close to that number but 21 seems like a lot especially when our rivals are in the 15-17 range. 

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Someone else said 14 is the minimum earlier. By my count ndsu has 16, USD has 17, SDSU has 21, Montana has 15, MSU has 15, and UND has 21 but will have 19.

Counting indoor and outdoor track and field as two separate sports, the minimum is 16.  NDSU is currently at the minimum, and thus can't cut any sports.  Not sure about the other schools mentioned.

2 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Counting indoor and outdoor track and field as two separate sports, the minimum is 16.  NDSU is currently at the minimum, and thus can't cut any sports.  Not sure about the other schools mentioned.

16 is the minimum of FBS.  Also must have 200 scholarships for FBS.

14 is the minimum for FCS.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

16 is the minimum of FBS.  Also must have 200 scholarships for FBS.

14 is the minimum for FCS.

Isn't the scholarship minimum specification 200 scholarships or at least $4 million on scholarships? 

Assume UND fully funded in FB, MH, WH, MBB, WBB (63, 18, 18, 11, 13?) so there's 120+. For some reason the number 188 for UND is in my head but I'm not on the right computer right now.  

On 4/13/2016 at 3:34 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Here's the athletics budget info from the 2013-14 school year.  http://www.undsports.com/fls/13500/Athletic%20Dept/BusOps/FY%202014%20NCAA%20AUP.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13500

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Isn't the scholarship minimum specification 200 scholarships or at least $4 million on scholarships? 

Assume UND fully funded in FB, MH, WH, MBB, WBB (63, 18, 18, 11, 13?) so there's 120+. For some reason the number 188 for UND is in my head but I'm not on the right computer right now.  

According to this (page 25), we were at $3.9 million and over 200 scholarships 2 years ago. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How many scholarships is swimming/diving and volleyball? That may put us over the 200.

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That same man was the one who pushed hard for Buning's hire, along with TOK.  They both made damn sure that Bollinger didn't get the job and thus hired the disaster that was Buning.  

Essentially, Phil was cleaning up his own mess.  

56 minutes ago, petey23 said:

But it is just easier to ask....

For 2014-2015, UND had 104.3 men's scholarships (including 0.5 of exhausted/medical/other) valued at $2.1 million and 104.3 women's scholarships (including 3.5 of exhausted/medical/other) valued at $2.2 million for a total of 208.6 scholarships distributed to 313 athletes worth $4,272,018.

Dropping baseball and golf removes 5.6 scholarships and $118K from those totals.

For comparison, in 2013-2014, UND had 105 men's scholarships (including 0.75 of exhausted/medical/other) valued at $2.0 million and 104.6 women's scholarships (including 6.9 of exhausted/medical/other) valued at $1.9 million for a total of 209.6 scholarships distributed to 326 athletes worth $3,883.398.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

But it is just easier to ask....

For 2014-2015, UND had 104.3 men's scholarships (including 0.5 of exhausted/medical/other) valued at $2.1 million and 104.3 women's scholarships (including 3.5 of exhausted/medical/other) valued at $2.2 million for a total of 208.6 scholarships distributed to 313 athletes worth $4,272,018.

Dropping baseball and golf removes 5.6 scholarships and $118K from those totals.

Would people probably agree now that cutting those two was the easy way out and really didn't achieve what Schafer has been preaching?  

Schafer has told everyone that major, deep cuts are being done now to get the University back in line with it's mission/finances, etc.  Apparently, that was only true for the rest of campus or he would have told them to cut more sports or at least one's with a budget.

4 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Would people probably agree now that cutting those two was the easy way out and really didn't achieve what Schafer has been preaching?  

Schafer has told everyone that major, deep cuts are being done now to get the University back in line with it's mission/finances, etc.  Apparently, that was only true for the rest of campus or he would have told them to cut more sports or at least one's with a budget.

Schafer is saving $700k a year, in perpetuity, by cutting golf and baseball.  How is that not in line with what he has been "preaching"?

I doubt that is all they will be doing in regard to the athletic department.  They have probably saved 250 - 300K by not canning Jones, which they may have done if we didn't have a budget issue.  

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

Schafer is saving $700k a year, in perpetuity, by cutting golf and baseball.  How is that not in line with what he has been "preaching"?

Because he needs another 1.5 million (roughly) next year that he kicked onto Mark Kennedy.  Cut it all now and be done like he is trying to do with the rest of the campus.  He is pushing this "do it the right way...now" philosophy, which is outstanding.  But even he is scared to kick out the big elephant in the corner of the room and hides behind Title IX.  

Cutting 700K from those two sports is a joke.  

24 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Because he needs another 1.5 million (roughly) next year that he kicked onto Mark Kennedy.  Cut it all now and be done like he is trying to do with the rest of the campus.  He is pushing this "do it the right way...now" philosophy, which is outstanding.  But even he is scared to kick out the big elephant in the corner of the room and hides behind Title IX.  

Cutting 700K from those two sports is a start.  

Well then, I fixed your post.  Are you upset that that they cut baseball, or that they didn't cut baseball + more?

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I doubt that is all they will be doing in regard to the athletic department.  They have probably saved 250 - 300K by not canning Jones, which they may have done if we didn't have a budget issue.  

Is it really saving 700k when that is what its going to cost for FCOA?

3 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Is it really saving 700k when that is what its going to cost for FCOA?

FCOA was already accounted for in the budget (which also includes increased revenue)..... so yes.  Good luck on the increased fee requests to pay for ndsu's FCOA.....

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

FCOA was already accounted for in the budget (which also includes increased revenue)..... so yes.  Good luck on the increased fee requests to pay for ndsu's FCOA.....

Remember, you're talking to someone who went to a school were budgets and projections obviously aren't taught.

When are the final proposals due for the mandated cuts? UND has been very open and upfront about what they are planning on doing, not so much for other NDUS schools outside of delaying funding, hiring freezes and kicking the can down the road. Very curious to see where the NDSU athletic department is trimming their budget since, as you noted, the students obviously foiled plan A.