SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC FROZEN FACEOFF - UND/SCSU/DU/UMD

AZSIOUX

8 hours ago, Old Time Hockey said:

So it sounds like the ice will suck again this year!  Why would one expect anything else from that dump!

Just another reason I will watch at home and hope the Sioux get placed at the X for the regional. Money will go to that venue not the Target Dump. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Nope. Should today.

Saturday Night Hammer said the games were at 2:00pm and 7:30pm.  

Glad to see it's actually 4pm as that is at least doable for getting out of work.  But yeah, 7:30pm would be best.  The afternoon game has such a Junior Varsity feel to it. 

Just now, GoalieMask said:

Saturday Night Hammer said the games were at 2:00pm and 7:30pm.  

Glad to see it's actually 4pm as that is at least doable for getting out of work.  But yeah, 7:30pm would be best.  The afternoon game has such a Junior Varsity feel to it. 

Except when we bring 10,000 fans :)

But yes, I'd MUCH rather play the night game. I get the rest reasoning, but I just don't agree with it. Regardless, I'm gonna be there and I cannot wait.

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/625046?referrer_id=878553 

Per NCHC website:

MINNEAPOLIS – With the field set for the 2016 National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) Frozen Faceoff, the NCHC has announced times for both semifinal match-ups on Friday, March 18 at Target Center in downtown Minneapolis.

The first semifinal Friday will feature top-seeded No. 2/2 North Dakota facing fourth-seeded No. 20/15 Minnesota Duluth at 4:08 p.m. CT. The second semifinal then features a top-10 battle between second-seeded No. 5/5 St. Cloud State and third-seeded No. 6/6 Denver. Both semifinal contests, along with the Frozen Faceoff championship game, will be televised live nationally on CBS Sports Network.

“After considering many factors, including the student-athletes, the fans and television, the conference has decided to place an emphasis on bracket integrity with the announcement of game times for Friday’s semifinals,” NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton said. “Being the top seed in this year’s tournament, North Dakota expressed their desire to play in the first semifinal on March 18. Our membership has indicated it is important to protect the top seed, which was earned throughout the regular season. I expect our membership to have further discussion on this topic in the future.“

The two semifinal winners then advance to the championship game at Target Center on Saturday, March 19 at 7:38 p.m. CT when the Frozen Faceoff champion will be crowned. The two semifinal losers meet first on Saturday in the third-place game at 3:30 p.m. CT. The third-place game is the only Frozen Faceoff game not on CBS Sports Network as that game will be streamed live on NCHC.tv.

The first semifinal pits back-to-back Penrose Cup champions North Dakota against Frozen Faceoff newcomer Minnesota Duluth. UND (30-5-3) heads to Minneapolis on an eight-game winning streak after sweeping eighth-seeded Colorado College in the NCHC Quarterfinals this past weekend. The Fighting Hawks, who won the 2015-16 NCHC regular-season title, have made all three Frozen Faceoffs but are yet to advance to the championship game yet. The Bulldogs (17-14-5) are making their first appearance at the Frozen Faceoff after sweeping fifth-seeded Miami in the quarterfinals last weekend, which marked UMD”s first two NCHC Tournament wins of any kind. The Bulldogs are riding a season-long six-game winning streak entering the Frozen Faceoff. North Dakota won all four meetings between the teams during the regular season though this is their first ever NCHC Tournament meeting.

The second semifinal features a pair of teams that tied for second place in the NCHC and are making return trips to Target Center for the Frozen Faceoff. St. Cloud State (29-8-1) is appearing in its second straight Frozen Faceoff after earning runner-up honors last season when the Huskies fell to Miami in the 2015 title game. SCSU enters the postseason on a four-game winning streak after sweeping seventh-seeded Western Michigan in the quarterfinals last weekend. Like UND, Denver (23-8-5) earned its third straight trip to the Frozen Faceoff, winning the inaugural NCHC Tournament crown in 2014 before taking third place last season. The Pioneers are riding an NCAA-best 11-game win streak into the semifinals, including sweeping sixth-seeded No. 17 Omaha in the NCHC Quarterfinals last weekend. SCSU swept Denver in Denver back on Dec. 11-12 in the teams’ only meetings of the season. This will mark the first NCHC Tournament meeting between the teams.

For the first time in the three-year history of the NCHC, all four higher seeds advanced to the Frozen Faceoff, while all four quarterfinals series ended in sweeps for the first time as well. All four participating teams head to Target Center on winning streaks of at least four games while all four are all ranked in the top 15 nationally as well.

“We believe the 2016 Frozen Faceoff will be the best experience that we have seen yet for fans and look forward to welcoming people from all four teams at Target Center this weekend,” Fenton said.

Along with the hockey games, the popular NCHC Fan Fest will once again be held at Target Center prior to games each day, including outside on 1st Avenue between 6th and 7th Streets on Friday, March 18. Fan Fest will once again feature some of Minneapolis’ best food vendors, drinks, live music and interactive games to get people excited prior to semifinal games in Target Center. Admission is free to Fan Fest on Friday, while those with a ticket for Saturday can attend Fan Fest when it moves indoors.

In addition, an official NCHC Post-Game Party with drink and appetizer specials will also take place after the games each night at 508 Bar & Restaurant, which is only one block from Target Center. Other events surrounding the NCHC Frozen Faceoff include an NCHC Fan Skate, presented by Sports Minneapolis, on Thursday, March 17, which is free to the public and takes place on the ice at Target Center, as well as the NCHC Awards Celebration on the evening of March 17. For a complete listing of events and other Frozen Faceoff information, visit Frozen Faceoff Live.

For tickets to the 2016 NCHC Frozen Faceoff, visit AXS.com, call 1-888-AXS-TIX (929-7849) or visit Target Center’s box office.

• Upvote 2

In my eyes, players are used to playing two evening games all year, so what's a few extra hours going to matter at this point? Take the late game, the prime time, and the time you'll most likely be able to draw a larger crowd of supporters. I live in the cities but can't make a 4pm game due to work hours. A 7pm game? Oh heck yeah I'd be there in a flash. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Feff said:

In my eyes, players are used to playing two evening games all year, so what's a few extra hours going to matter at this point? Take the late game, the prime time, and the time you'll most likely be able to draw a larger crowd of supporters. I live in the cities but can't make a 4pm game due to work hours. A 7pm game? Oh heck yeah I'd be there in a flash. 

We went through this exact same thing last year... Wonder how many fans we will lose due to this. We already have you and myself. Guessing a few.

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

“Being the top seed in this year’s tournament, North Dakota expressed their desire to play in the first semifinal on March 18. "

I get it fans want the late game.  But if the coaches want the early game, than we really can't complain.  The loser of the second game definitely is at at a disadvantage having to turn around and play the afternoon game the next day.  Berry and the coaches know what they are doing.  Trust  them.

As a selfish fan I prefer the late game but I can get on board with this.

• Upvote 1

The teams playing the evening game on Friday will have less rest than the teams they will playing on Saturday.  Playing the early game is not ideal for fans, but it is in the best interest of the team in order to succeed.  Selfishly we can complain, but really it's not too hard to get behind this logic.

If I look at this weekend only I hate the fact that we play the afternoon game. But if I look beyond this weekend I like the fact that we get a chance to play an afternoon game in preparation for the national tournament. It is rare you get to play all night games throughout the NCAAs. Since the NCHC thankfully avoids Sunday afternoon games during the regular season this shift in routine may be a good chance for the players to get an advanced feel for the next round. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yea well talk to me when you guys win a national ti...... Well at least we won ours more recen........ The roads in Duluth are of poor quality.

this made me smile. :)

21 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

As a selfish fan I prefer the late game but I can get on board with this.

same here

• Upvote 2

If the team wants the afternoon game then Im not going to argue with that. There is no denying however it sucks for the fans. Curious as to how we fair in the afternoon the past few years. Probably not much of a sample to even bother. Not sure why I just dont have a good feeling about it.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

“Being the top seed in this year’s tournament, North Dakota expressed their desire to play in the first semifinal on March 18. "

I get it fans want the late game.  But if the coaches want the early game, than we really can't complain.  The loser of the second game definitely is at at a disadvantage having to turn around and play the afternoon game the next day.  Berry and the coaches know what they are doing.  Trust  them.

We Sioux fans always bitched about not getting the prime time game at the X as the #1 seed because of the "gopher" rule.  I even remember a coach saying it was a joke.  Now I guess it is more important in case we lose to be better rested for a third place game.  Really?

This is a loser mentality!  Go big or go home!  

45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Nailed it. 

PS - Please also note how the NCAA schedules regionals: the highest seed gets semifinal 1 (and longer rest to the regional final). Doing this practices for that schedule scenario. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tenjac said:

Does anyone know which end (101 or 121) the home teams (UND) shoot twice? Target Center can't give me an answer. 

Target Center will let you know 1 hour before the game.  This is a complex logistical detail that will take several more days to sort out.

As we speak, Target Center officials are working on testing the point at when water freezes to ensure optimum ice conditions for this weekends NCHC jamboree!  

As a participating school, we folks supporting UND should applaud their first class efforts for hosting our yearly conference championship.  

Thanks Target Center....  There isn't anywhere else I would rather watch hockey this coming weekend!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2