SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC FROZEN FACEOFF - UND/SCSU/DU/UMD

AZSIOUX

15 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

We Sioux fans always bitched about not getting the prime time game at the X as the #1 seed because of the "gopher" rule.  I even remember a coach saying it was a joke.  Now I guess it is more important in case we lose to be better rested for a third place game.  Really?

This is a loser mentality!  Go big or go home!  

I love the afternoon game, I get out of work early and I wont be too inebriated for it! :p 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

Target Center will let you know 1 hour before the game.  This is a complex logistical detail that will take several more days to sort out.

As we speak, Target Center officials are working on testing the point at when water freezes to ensure optimum ice conditions for this weekends NCHC jamboree!  

As a participating school, we folks supporting UND should applaud their first class efforts for hosting our yearly conference championship.  

Thanks Target Center....  There isn't anywhere else I would rather watch hockey this coming weekend!

This isn't a jamboree this is a show case each team plays two of the other teams. The jamboree is 1 town over where the little six brings in all their mite friends for a weekend. 

22 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

We Sioux fans always bitched about not getting the prime time game at the X as the #1 seed because of the "gopher" rule.  I even remember a coach saying it was a joke.  Now I guess it is more important in case we lose to be better rested for a third place game.  Really?

it wouldn't be an issue if they just nixed the 3rd place game.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

This isn't a jamboree this is a show case each team plays two of the other teams. The jamboree is 1 town over where the little six brings in all their mite friends for a weekend. 

The point I was trying to make is that the TC treats it like a jamboree and we fans expect and demand a better experience.  Crap ice, terrible boards, awful lines, etc.  You understood my usage of jamboree, just not the sarcastic tone that it was used.

Just now, hrkac said:

it wouldn't be an issue if they just nixed the 3rd place game.

That's a double edge sword.  Great to scrap it if you don't need it for the PW boost.  Two years ago it was essential to getting into the NC$$'s.  Typically I hate it, but what do you do?  This year if we play in the third place game, I hope the CBS line sits.  Let them know this before they drop the puck Friday for extra incentives!

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

I'm sure that's exactly why Coach Berry chose the afternoon game.  Do you know we would also have more rest for the Championship game by playing the 4pm game?

UND fandom is obviously really difficult if we're complaining about which game our own team chose to play. I can think of 4 other teams that would be happy to play in either game this coming weekend.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the answers. They told me they were waiting for instruction from the NCHC, which makes little sense. Looking forward to it anyway. 4 SOLID teams. Hopefully, TC will look look like St. Paddy's ran late. 

52 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm sure that's exactly why Coach Berry chose the afternoon game.  Do you know we would also have more rest for the Championship game by playing the 4pm game?

UND fandom is obviously really difficult if we're complaining about which game our own team chose to play. I can think of 4 other teams that would be happy to play in either game this coming weekend.

I echo this. If the coaches deem it better to play the afternoon game on Friday, then I am on board with it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NeedHockey said:

Game time is 5:00 Florida time.  Perfect!  Leave work, get home, turn on the TV, crack a beer, and watch the Sioux torture the Bulldogs.  Maybe take a little swim during the first intermission.  Then later on, watch the Huskies and the Pioneers beat each other up into 2 OTs, while our boys are resting.

Only 2 overtimes? That's being nice. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxstudent said:

If the team wants the afternoon game then Im not going to argue with that. There is no denying however it sucks for the fans. Curious as to how we fair in the afternoon the past few years. Probably not much of a sample to even bother. Not sure why I just dont have a good feeling about it.

This is the time that Coach Berry wanted. I have no problem with that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yelo09 said:

“After considering many factors, including the student-athletes, the fans and television, the conference has decided to place an emphasis on bracket integrity with the announcement of game times for Friday’s semifinals,” NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton said. “Being the top seed in this year’s tournament, North Dakota expressed their desire to play in the first semifinal on March 18. Our membership has indicated it is important to protect the top seed, which was earned throughout the regular season. I expect our membership to have further discussion on this topic in the future.“

So this year (again) they are emphasizing bracket integrity. I find that last sentence intriguing.   

Reading between the lines, might we see a "North Dakota Rule" that means we always draw the night game?   It would help attendance (i.e., be worth money for the NCHC), and a number of commenters on this thread have expressed a preference for UND to play evening on Friday.  

I would vote for bracket integrity over revenue, but then I'm not running a D-1 hockey budget.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So this year (again) they are emphasizing bracket integrity. I find that last sentence intriguing.   

Reading between the lines, might we see a "North Dakota Rule" that means we always draw the night game?   It would help attendance (i.e., be worth money for the NCHC), and a number of commenters on this thread have expressed a preference for UND to play evening on Friday.  

I would vote for bracket integrity over revenue, but then I'm not running a D-1 hockey budget.

I'd prefer there was some sort of rule or standard so we all know what we are going to get every year. Just make the rule the #1 seed plays the early game Friday every year, boom, done. No more complaining/wondering. Not sure why this should be discussed year after year if it is truly about bracket integrity like they say.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, NeedHockey said:

Game time is 5:00 Florida time.  Perfect!  Leave work, get home, turn on the TV, crack a beer, and watch the Sioux torture the Bulldogs.  Maybe take a little swim during the first intermission.  Then later on, watch the Huskies and the Pioneers beat each other up into 2 OTs, while our boys are resting.

Look out, you are starting to sound "haughty". :p