SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

21 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

OK... here we go!

Let me just start off with a hearty "Hallelujah!" for the HPC!  The hair on the back of my neck still stands up when I walk into that beast of a building.

1. Bubba preached more urgency and crispness during drills. Tried to get the boys attention that this stuff if for real now and they can't just hear what the coaches are saying, they need to really listen and execute.

2. After practice huddle: Bubble told the team to go to the Betty this afternoon at 2 p.m. to support WBB against MSU. He said Mia Loyd is tough and her play is worth the price of admission alone. Coach Freund, quickly piped in "But don't skip class!!!"  What Bubba didn't say was that there will be an NBA Hall of Famer in the building this afternoon, as former Jazz great John Stockton is an assistant with MSU. 

3. This just in:  Cole Reyes is one tough mutha F@##$%.  He is out there practicing with the team in the same gear as the rest of the team with a big old cast on his left forearm. He doesn't sit out any drills and goes as hard as you'd expect. He is truly UND football tough int the traditional sense.

4. Clive was running wild today. Nobody could cover him(and that's not a knock on the secondary)and he was sucking in every ball like a vacuum. He hauled in one that would have been good for a TD from 60+ out, and he pulled in another tough grab that would have went for long yardage. He looked like he was having fun out there.

5. Heidelbaugh started out fine in drills but was a bit unsettled with his footwork once things went uptempo in skelly work, causing several balls to sail on him. Studs and Bartels looked fine.

6. If you can believe this --- Santiago looks to have even sharper cuts through the line and more burst once hes' in the open than last year. Stay tuned. If the line can gel, who knows how far he'll go.

7. I liked what I saw from Stetson Carr at WR... he's a bigger version of Seibel and was featured a lot today with intermediate over the middle pass plays. He hauled in all but one that was broken up by a good play by an ILB.  If I remember correctly, he had a really good spring two years ago but eventually left the the team. Glad he's back!

8. A newbie that showed flashes today was DB Torrey Hunt, wearing #16.  The kid had a really nice break on one pass play where he picked it off just before it hit the receivers hands and he took it for what would have been a sure 6 points. He looks very fast albeit a bit thin at this point. I was impressed with his showing given is lack of familiarity with the defensive schemes. 

That's it for today.  I will try to get out there again tomorrow morning.

Enjoy!

Love the update, great job Teeder!  The excitement running through me makes it feel like it should be football season.  90% sure I'm making a trip out there today.  

34 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

1. Day 2 of Spring practice started early for me as I checked out the kickers. The good news, I think, is that it appears Taubenheim's leg has strengthened a lot from last year's injury-recovery season that saw him struggle to kick the ball deep. From the 35 yard line, Taubs was consistently booting the ball 70-75 yards well inside the five and most times into the end zone. Because of last year's issues, Meindel tended to be the better deep ball kicking option but, as we know, he's gone. MacGregor's kicks were not quite as long as Taubs this morning. He mostly put his ball inside the 5-yard line. Holmen long snapped and newcomer punter Jacob Meeks #97 held the ball on FG work. Meeks did not punt at all again this morning.

2.  Torrey Hunt, Josh Seibel, Santiago, Clive, Iwarri and Vashon Tucker all took time on Kick return duties today.  An audible "ooooh" from the well-attended peanut gallery on the HPC catwalk could be heard this morning on one of Santiago's returns during 3 on 1 special team drills. Santiago juked through the three converging KR coverage players and burst through and up the sideline. The only thing missing was Pat Sweeney announcing "So long, Santiago!"  His burst and speed were incredible.

3. WR Dulin appears to have developed some really good speed compared to last year, or at least I didn't notice it as much last year. The question is does he have the hands to match?

4. During skelly drills, Deon Harris got a pick on a tipped ill-advised pass. Harris made a nice athletic play to get to the deflected ball and snag it before it hit the turf.

5. From the safety spot, Flowers got a pick of his own off Heidelbaugh and took it for six. Flowers made a nice break on the ball and took it.

6. Runner up for catch of the day goes to Stetson Carr #87. Carr made a beautiful one handed snag while tight roping the sideline. Looked like he got a toe in with possession but I am sure the BSC officiating would have somehow disagreed with my assessment in a game situation.

7. Catch of the day goes to Santiago out of the backfield. The speedster tailback shot up and around the left end and burst 20 yards before summoning his inner Kenny Golloday and showing surprising vertical to snatch a sailing pass out of the air. Santiago had no business making that catch.  It was truly a great grab but the QBs should think twice before putting the valuable Santiago in that kind of vulnerable position to get laid out.

8. As far as I can tell, Daquan Baker is lining up with the DLs and Jawon Johnson is with the LBs.

9. Mollberg did pretty well today at the TE position, though, Francis and Matthewson look to be fighting for the two deep at that spot this spring. 

10. During 11-on-11 drills, Studsrud took most of his snaps under Aplin with Stockwell and Cox anchoring the ends and Bell and Taylor at the guard spots.

Really appreciate the updates/info!!!

Longtime Fan, that was fun!  Good stuff. I couldn't agree more on Jahmere Sills. He had a different motor today from the get go. At times, he was showing SEC level calibre stuff. 

It's hard to get a read on DL and OL players, as they are usually stuck in non-flashy drills. 

Dulin looked the part early but yes he did have three drops. He needs to make those catches. 

I do like what I have been seeing from former walk on receiver Stanley and Alex Reed. The WR corps could be a developing strength this year to complement the Offensive backfield, with Clive, Iwarri, Stanley, Seibel, Reed, Dulin, Carr and Walker.  Might be able to let Toivonnen RS and aclimate to the college game. On top of all that, you got Santiago out of the back field and a solid Fullback and TE contingent. 

10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Longtime Fan, that was fun!  Good stuff. I couldn't agree more on Jahmere Sills. He had a different motor today from the get go. At times, he was showing SEC level calibre stuff. 

It's hard to get a read on DL and OL players, as they are usually stuck in non-flashy drills. 

Dulin looked the part early but yes he did have three drops. He needs to make those catches. 

I do like what I have been seeing from former walk on receiver Stanley and Alex Reed. The WR corps could be a developing strength this year to complement the Offensive backfield, with Clive, Iwarri, Stanley, Seibel, Reed, Dulin, Carr and Walker.  Might be able to let Toivonnen RS and aclimate to the college game. On top of all that, you got Santiago out of the back field and a solid Fullback and TE contingent. 

Completely agree about the wr group.  If what I saw today with the exception of dulin the receiving game will be vastly improved.  Keaton has the feel of game in his pocket now.  Granted it's only spring practice, but he looked the part and did it very confidently.  Clive looks like the biggest improvement so far.  Crisp routes and glue fingers make his speed game look even better.  

It was nice to arnell out running around.  He wasn't practicing just simply helping out with what he could.   He was back pedaling at a decent clip when I noticed him and he did it like he hadn't ever sustained an injury.  He's smooth.

Taj was on a bike and walking around as well, just a little more of a gimp to him.  No crutches but definitely favoring his injured leg.  Man I hope he in 100% by September!!  

Also it was nice to see the hpc. Great recruiting tool. 

Has anybody seen Norberg working in at FB this spring? I think he could be our man there this year. With his size and speed he could be become a great lead blocker and a threat to carry the ball. I know Longtime mentioned how big he's gotten. I thought he could've been a great LB and I never liked the permanent move to RB. 

25 minutes ago, bang said:

Has anybody seen Norberg working in at FB this spring? I think he could be our man there this year. With his size and speed he could be become a great lead blocker and a threat to carry the ball. I know Longtime mentioned how big he's gotten. I thought he could've been a great LB and I never liked the permanent move to RB. 

I thought the same. SFI mentioned his hips may have been a little stiff for defense. 

45 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I thought the same. SFI mentioned his hips may have been a little stiff for defense. 

They would know better than I as far as him at LB. I don't really see it but I didn't see him play LB much.

I still would like to see him get lots of reps at FB. Especially in goal line situations. Last year they used Fiedler a couple times and I really think Norberg would be a lot better suited for 3rd/4th and inches scenarios. 

12 minutes ago, bang said:

They would know better than I as far as him at LB. I don't really see it but I didn't see him play LB much.

I still would like to see him get lots of reps at FB. Especially in goal line situations. Last year they used Fiedler a couple times and I really think Norberg would be a lot better suited for 3rd/4th and inches scenarios. 

I would imagine Norberg could be a nice FB or H-back type (see Adler in '15). Has the ability to both block with that build of his and also carry the ball some or catch it out of the backfield. Rudolph loves sneaking the blocking back out of the backfield on play-action, and Norberg could fit that role well.

I know that at one point today, Gordon, Santiago, Olivera, and Nevermann were at the north end of the facility working on RB drills while Norberg was working with the fullbacks and TEs. I'd imagine they see him getting reps at the FB position. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question, is it unusual for a team to have spring practice start before spring break and end after spring break, with that break in the middle?  It's nice that we are able to have spring practice earlier now, and really whenever since they can have it inside.  Seems in general when I think about it though, if they have a few practices and then kids are gone for spring break that they would lose a little momentum they were building in the first few days.  But maybe there are some benefits of having the break in the middle?  I'm sure Bubba and staff had a reason they scheduled it when they did with the break in the middle and maybe it was discussed before but I missed it. 

15 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Sorry to be a synic but in order for this to happen someone within the athletic department would have to actually care about the spring game and want to invest some thought and time into how to make is something for the fans. A couple of years ago they tried some things like grilling competitions and other activities - while they didn't draw an enormous number of people it did generate interest in the spring. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Sorry to be a synic but in order for this to happen someone within the athletic department would have to actually care about the spring game and want to invest some thought and time into how to make is something for the fans. A couple of years ago they tried some things like grilling competitions and other activities - while they didn't draw an enormous number of people it did generate interest in the spring. 

You are not being a cynic, I fully agree with you. Just a cool idea that was worth a share.

• Upvote 1

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=210827693

"It took us a while to get back into the flow of things, but overall, we took care of the ball, our QB-center exchanges were crisp as we got into our inside-run and team periods," Schweigert said. "At first, we caught the ball like we had been off for a couple of weeks, but that got better as the pratice moved along. 

"Defensively, our communication needs to get better, taking the week off for Spring Break, I expected a little bit of this, so we'll see how we react to this and come out on Friday for practice No. 6, which is a really important practice for us."

I posted this question about two weeks ago, but this thread has been pretty dead the past two weeks for obvious reasons.  Was asking if anybody new if there was a particular reason they started spring practice before the break, seems like having such a long break in between practicing could be counter productive?  Could be some positives from having a break too? 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:06 AM, Sioux94 said:

Question, is it unusual for a team to have spring practice start before spring break and end after spring break, with that break in the middle?  It's nice that we are able to have spring practice earlier now, and really whenever since they can have it inside.  Seems in general when I think about it though, if they have a few practices and then kids are gone for spring break that they would lose a little momentum they were building in the first few days.  But maybe there are some benefits of having the break in the middle?  I'm sure Bubba and staff had a reason they scheduled it when they did with the break in the middle and maybe it was discussed before but I missed it. 

Utilize indoor facility.

If someone was to get hurt, longer healing time before fall camp.

Give the guys a taste of football to remind them to not be idiots over spring break.

More time to study for finals.

-just guessing

• Upvote 4