SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Utilize indoor facility.

If someone was to get hurt, longer healing time before fall camp.

Give the guys a taste of football to remind them to not be idiots over spring break.

More time to study for finals.

-just guessing

All of this^^^^

And more efficient spring recruiting time for the staff.

Attended practice today for about half hour. Couple things:

I truly believe Hunt has a chance to start.   He has all the skills just a bit of a tweener.  

Violent blocking hit between santiago and jahmere followed by the two face masking it up and santiago shoving jahmere to the ground.  Love the intensity, just a weird interaction between team mates afterwards that I can only hope was a one time deal. Jahmere immediately left the field to vomit numerous times.  

Heidlebaugh looked much better today.  Seems to be reading the defense a little better and making crisper throws.  

Keaton looked good. 

Jawon has the speed at OLB to be a menace to offenses. He could very well be the secret assassin this year.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Attended practice today for about half hour. Couple things:

I truly believe Hunt has a chance to start.   He has all the skills just a bit of a tweener.  

Violent blocking hit between santiago and jahmere followed by the two face masking it up and santiago shoving jahmere to the ground.  Love the intensity, just a weird interaction between team mates afterwards that I can only hope was a one time deal. Jahmere immediately left the field to vomit numerous times.  

Heidlebaugh looked much better today.  Seems to be reading the defense a little better and making crisper throws.  

Keaton looked good. 

Jawon has the speed at OLB to be a menace to offenses. He could very well be the secret assassin this year.  

How is receiving corps looking?

52 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

How is receiving corps looking?

Stetson Carr stood out in a big way today. He's a beast, and he's on no one's radar in the BSC or all of FCS like Stanley and Georges are. We shall see.

Sills and Santiago episode happens all the time. Just competitors being competitors. They're good.

Alex Reed looks really good, too.

Outside of WR:

Despite the puking episode, Sills continues to play at a level above what he displayed in his first year with UND. Now that he's got the schemes down, his breaks to the ball and on the ball are much sharper and more confident. Just needs to continue on working hard to wrap up on tackles.

D. Harris had multiple PBUs today and and one INT.

Torrey Hunt is a stud.

Finally saw today what coaches have been noticing from DE Bennett.... very violent through the line. Nice!

Noticed Jawon, too, today. He was all over the field finishing plays.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Expectations are as said: leave no doubt. Expect a minimum of 8 wins in 2016 otherwise season is a disappointment. 

Go UND! 

I sincerely believe that the minimum we should expect or accept is 8 regular season wins and at least 1 playoff win.    We need to make strides every year.

22 minutes ago, TRex said:

I sincerely believe that the minimum we should expect or accept is 8 regular season wins and at least 1 playoff win.    We need to make strides every year.

Yep, we made big strides last year, nobody expected us to go to wyoming and control the whole game...

Cannot help but think our secondary will be vastly improved. Not only in experience but the individual improvement of jahmere.  Jahmere has been lights out the few times I saw him and he obviously has the talent having played in the sec.   Also Torrey hunt is perhaps the most talented db on the roster.  Not only do I think they pull his redshirt, I believe he has a great chance to start.  As talented as holm is, he might be redshirted because of what's in front of him.   The depth, experience and talent in the secondary is far ahead of last year.  They will still be extremely young as there is no seniors on the current depth chart but from having played so many true freshman over the last two years the experience is much better.  Nice to have a talented experienced depth chart in the secondary.  

Biggest question by far is the o line.  Very thin in numbers as well as the experience factor.  Cannot sustain any more losses in the offseason or injuries.  

Depth behind Keaton scares the hell out of me.   Never been sold on Bartles and heidlebaugh is an unproven freshman.  

With their schedule next year there's no reason why und couldn't go at least with a 9-2 re cord or maybe 10-1.  I'm really liking their chances against bowling green now as well.  Again, to me, the o line is the question mark on how they gel, mesh and gain experience that is critical come conference play.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of 'culture' talk from Barry today at Fargo Luncheon......the same message and mission of the football team and staff.

Tidbits from spring ball.  Hunt is legit.  4 horseman at RB are all starting caliber.  Sounds good about Grady returning.  Reed is turning heads.  Even without Grady, O-line coming together.  Seibel has a shot at returning mid-season, seems to be  a long-shot to me.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

A lot of 'culture' talk from Barry today at Fargo Luncheon......the same message and mission of the football team and staff.

Tidbits from spring ball.  Hunt is legit.  4 horseman at RB are all starting caliber.  Sounds good about Grady returning.  Reed is turning heads.  Even without Grady, O-line coming together.  Seibel has a shot at returning mid-season, seems to be  a long-shot to me.

Your assessment is spot on with mine on all accounts. Crossing my fingers on Josh Seibel but hope he doesn't rush it, either.

17 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The Grady news is just awesome. Hope the secondary can live up to the talk that we have about them regarding improvement. Can't wait for Football to start. It was a great hockey season ... Now it is Football's turn! It all starts with the Spring game. Hopefully a lot of these Freshman intend to be on campus this summer. When I was on the Bowling Green message boards, they have us inked in as an auto-win. Let's go get them! Stony Brook first of course, but I'm really excited to see what we can do against BGSU.

50 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The Grady news is just awesome. Hope the secondary can live up to the talk that we have about them regarding improvement. Can't wait for Football to start. It was a great hockey season ... Now it is Football's turn! It all starts with the Spring game. Hopefully a lot of these Freshman intend to be on campus this summer. When I was on the Bowling Green message boards, they have us inked in as an auto-win. Let's go get them! Stony Brook first of course, but I'm really excited to see what we can do against BGSU.

Wyoming had an auto win on their schedule, not sure how that worked out for them....

Real early prediction, we establish a run game and give BG all they can handle, close game either way.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Wyoming had an auto win on their schedule, not sure how that worked out for them....

Real early prediction, we establish a run game and give BG all they can handle, close game either way.

Yeah their board was pretty confident last year. Lakes bison even showed up for a couple rants! 

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Bowling green better not be over confident as they lost a boat load....a complete overhaul!  This is not to say that they won't be any good, but I for one, have much more confidence in our crew.  

Cant say this enough..." Grady, please please please"!!!  This would be absolutely huge for the team and for him personally.  I believe with 3 years of weights he could easily be a 2nd round draft pick.  

Cant wait for the spring game on Saturday !!!  Hoping for no injuries but want to see some ball'n from the boys!   

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Bowling green better not be over confident as they lost a boat load....a complete overhaul!  This is not to say that they won't be any good, but I for one, have much more confidence in our crew.  

Cant say this enough..." Grady, please please please"!!!  This would be absolutely huge for the team and for him personally.  I believe with 3 years of weights he could easily be a 2nd round draft pick.  

Cant wait for the spring game on Saturday !!!  Hoping for no injuries but want to see some ball'n from the boys!   

He was overlooks by MANY as a high school recruit. So long as he plays to his potential, I don't expect him to be overlooked by NFL scouts.

Remember, though, just how much a kid matures and changes mentally and physically between 17 years old and 19 or 20 years old.  Sometimes that high school highlight film doesn't look anything like the same player when they are two or three years older.

3 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Remember, though, just how much a kid matures and changes mentally and physically between 17 years old and 19 or 20 years old.  Sometimes that high school highlight film doesn't look anything like the same player when they are two or three years older.

Greg Hardin. Perfect example. Came in running a slow 4.5 and was blazing 4.3s as a senior.