SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

3 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I'm talking a borderline, and just posing the question.  Say 3 bottom tear teams win their tournaments, and only the top 13 pairwise get in.  Would it be out of the question to treat hockey like every other one of the NCAA sports, and find an excuse to flip the 12 and 13 overall?  Maybe it is - Hockey has been much more mathematical in the decisions than basketball, football, etc., but I just posed it as a "Do you think they would?" type of question.  You definitely answered "No." :D

Every other sport has a human element ranking teams, where hockey has only the PWR.

6 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

Let me throw a wrench in the "Pairwise rules all matchups" scenario:  Say there's a couple of schools that win their conference tournament and get in, but wouldn't be in otherwise.  If UND is within 1 - 2 spots of a 3 seed, but PW says should be a 4, I'm thinking they may get assigned a 3 seed, just so UMD can get put in Fargo while avoiding a round 1 matchup.  No proof, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Won't happen. It has made sense to do that in the past and they didn't do it....they will flip a 9 and an 11 but not n 8 and a 9. Your way makes sense but they have not done that in the past.

17 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Thanks for all the conversation ... I guess what started it all for me was the reaction out of BU if they got sent to Fargo (instead of 50 miles to Providence or 70 miles to Manchester).

====================

Which brings me to an idea that would make the selection show more interesting.    The talking heads fill in the bracket with teams that have to be placed (hosts).  Then, the highest seeded team picks where they want to play.   And so on down the list until all the spots are filled.    I think that would make for fabulous drama, and the bulletin board material coming out of it would also be fascinating. 

"The #1 seed is Duluth.   Scott Sandelin, where do you want to go?"

"We'd like to be in Cincinnati as the #1 seed, please."

and so on.   

=======================

I love the interest this would generate! But in your hypothetical, after four convincing wins I'd think Sandy would go to Fargo to have a few fans in the stands after beating UND again. 

Jerry York: I'll go to Fargo as the #2... I've secretly always loved plane rides, it's always been the NC$$ trying to keep us at home.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, cberkas said:

You are making this way harder then it needs to be. 

If there are three 1 seeds from the NCHC and one NCHC team is a 4 seed and BU is the one of the 1 seeds they will play the NCHC team even if UND is that 4 seed and BU is the #1 overall seed.

It truly is the nightmare scenario for the NCAA selection committee.  They need UND to either miss the tournament or, more ideally, make it up to a #2 or #3 seed.  That way they can park Duluth close to home in Fargo, match up UND with someone like Minnesota in the #2-#3 matchup, and let Duluth play an autobid like Bemidji.

49 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

It truly is the nightmare scenario for the NCAA selection committee.  They need UND to either miss the tournament or, more ideally, make it up to a #2 or #3 seed.  That way they can park Duluth close to home in Fargo, match up UND with someone like Minnesota in the #2-#3 matchup, and let Duluth play an autobid like Bemidji.

#1 Duluth v #4 Bemidgi

#3 UND v #2 Minnesota

That's one hell of a Regional!!!

Moy's Brackets this week:

East Regional (Providence):
14 Vermont vs. 4 Minnesota
10 Boston College vs. 7 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
13 Cornell vs. 3 Boston University
12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 5 Harvard

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
15 Air Force vs. 2 Denver
11 Penn State vs. 6 Western Michigan

West Regional (Fargo):
16 Bemidji State vs. 1 Minnesota-Duluth
9 North Dakota vs. 8 Providence

Again, not easy, but I'd rather face Providence in the first round than Minnesota. That East region is rough.

• Upvote 2

On 2/3/2017 at 1:13 PM, tnt said:

Funny to see the GPL crowd talking trash about what the attendance will be at Fargo if UND doesn't make it.  I guess the attendance would look similar to a Minnesota home game!

I'm not so sure this is true because a lot of UND fans are hockey fans in general. If I still lived in GF and had tickets I would still go to the regional games if UND was not there.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Moy's Brackets this week:

East Regional (Providence):
14 Vermont vs. 4 Minnesota
10 Boston College vs. 7 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
13 Cornell vs. 3 Boston University
12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 5 Harvard

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
15 Air Force vs. 2 Denver
11 Penn State vs. 6 Western Michigan

West Regional (Fargo):
16 Bemidji State vs. 1 Minnesota-Duluth
9 North Dakota vs. 8 Providence

Again, not easy, but I'd rather face Providence in the first round than Minnesota. That East region is rough.

I think Prov would be tougher than MN.  The gophs just lost Novak for the season and Providence has been on fire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I think Prov would be tougher than MN.  The gophs just lost Novak for the season and Providence has been on fire.

It's not because either team stands out to me over the other, it's because I don't want to play the Gophers in the first round. Too much acid reflux LOL :D

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I think one at most of those first round match-up will actually happen. 

It's too early to look at this kind of thing. There's still a lot of hockey to play. The PWR is going to rattle around.