SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ Denver

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

At C or W? I just can't seem him playing over Simo. I think St. Clair has really ramped up his play and think he gets a wing spot.

Man. Tough stuff.

I wouldn't have a problem with Sanderson at W or C. I do think that the best the 4th unit has looked all year....both in the offensive zone and the defensive zone.....has been the last few weeks, with Sanderson on it.

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think he does play over Simo at this point. One is producing and the other isn't.  I don't know, it's a tough call. We'll see on Friday.

With that criteria, then St. Clair sits.  Simonson has 2 assists in the last 3 games, one big one to give us the lead at Western on Saturday.  Sanderson has been playing well too, but hasn't put up points since the 1st game vs. CC.   Gornall also scored against CC, so you have a lot of guys deserving of playing, but my guess is Simonson plays on Friday. Sanderson could fill Olson's spot, depending on what kind of game they think they need to win on Friday.  

31 minutes ago, tnt said:

With that criteria, then St. Clair sits.  Simonson has 2 assists in the last 3 games, one big one to give us the lead at Western on Saturday.  Sanderson has been playing well too, but hasn't put up points since the 1st game vs. CC.   Gornall also scored against CC, so you have a lot of guys deserving of playing, but my guess is Simonson plays on Friday. Sanderson could fill Olson's spot, depending on what kind of game they think they need to win on Friday.  

I think you give St. Clair a bit of a pass based on what we've seen he can bring to the ice and coming off recovering from injury for several months to hit 100%.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I like this line-up, however I think JJ plays over somebody.  He's good.

I wouldn't be shocked at all by that either. The last couple spots came down to Janatuinen, St.Clair, and Olson for me. I think St.Clair will keep getting better as he continues to get games and went with Olson over Janatuinen to bring a little more physical presence and I also thought JJ struggled a little against Western Michigan although it sounds like he might have been dealing with some sickness that weekend.

22 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

How so?

Just it's been awhile that they are all back

Do u think any of the combinations that we had during that time were helpful or could impact future lines ? Or will other lines be more productive now ?

2 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Just it's been awhile that they are all back

Do u think any of the combinations that we had during that time were helpful or could impact future lines ? Or will other lines be more productive now ?

I think the CBS line should still be ok :D

Seriously though, I think Rhett Gardner came into his own in the last few weeks as a legit secondary scoring threat. Poganski also has shown flashes too with being strong on the puck.  So when the CBS line took a few weeks off we found the secondary scoring we'll need to get to #8.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think you give St. Clair a bit of a pass based on what we've seen he can bring to the ice and coming off recovering from injury for several months to hit 100%.

I give St. Clair a pass because of his work ethic, and leadership, and I have heard the coaches speak often about Simonson bringing the same intangibles, that is why I believe he will be in the lineup on Friday.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bottom line.......if Wilke is going to continue to play a top 6 role he needs to start producing as of this weekend.

He's been mostly a third liner hasn't he?  Either way I get what your saying.  Before the year started a lot of people thought him or gersich would have the typical freshman adjustment period however it appears that both are.  That's fine though.  Im hoping one or both of these boys start scoring some big goals.

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He's been mostly a third liner hasn't he?  Either way I get what your saying.  Before the year started a lot of people thought him or gersich would have the typical freshman adjustment period however it appears that both are.

I like them both, but what you say about the freshman adjustment period is true, and it makes Boeser's success all the more impressive.  He IS having to learn some things in the D zone though, and maybe that will keep him in GF for an extra year.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think he does play over Simo at this point. One is producing and the other isn't.  I don't know, it's a tough call. We'll see on Friday.

I guess I don't really think 2 goals is "producing" but from a fourth liner, I guess it doesn't bother me if he stays in. Still lacks the physicality and energy that I think Simo brings. Sanderson is playing with confidence right now, though. So, I won't hate if he's in, I just prefer Simo or St. Clair.

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I don't really think 2 goals is "producing" but from a fourth liner, I guess it doesn't bother me if he stays in. Still lacks the physicality and energy that I think Simo brings. Sanderson is playing with confidence right now, though. So, I won't hate if he's in, I just prefer Simo or St. Clair.

2 goals in the last 5 games from a 4th liner? I'd definitely call that producing.

Especially when the alternative(Simo) hasn't scored a goal since October 23rd...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

2 goals in the last 5 games from a 4th liner? I'd definitely call that producing.

Especially when the alternative(Simo) hasn't scored a goal since October 23rd...

Two goals, period. What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter to me if a fourth liner is scoring unless it's much more than that. If they score more, they'll be moved up. The top 6, even 9, need to be producing. The rest is just gravy. I'd give up those two goals for the consistent, heavy forecheck that Simo brings and also, his ability to win a big draw.