SiouxSports.com Forum

Player Departures

homer

1 minute ago, Ozzie82 said:

I'm sorry everyone. I should not have started this firestorm. I was wrong to do so.  I am not going to compound my mistake, however, by divulging anything further until the University announces it first.

I too will leave the topic alone for reasons previously mentioned. We will all know soon enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFMSGT said:

Getting a kid to commit is great, but building relationships with kids already in your program goes a long way toward recruiting other good kids. I get the sense from reading previous posts that the goal at UND is to keep getting better as a program by bringing in better talent, which from a business standpoint, makes perfect sense.  But, I also think if you don't continue to build a relationship with those that have already let blood, sweat and tears for you...defections will continue to happen. And I think some of the kids are feeling that way according to the rumor mill.  On the flip side, the kids need to know and understand that college football is a business.

Some kids these days never cease to amaze me.  It's all about them.  They aren't "appreciated".  You gotta be F'n kidding me.  

This program just came off a 7-4, playoff caliber year where the positives were abundant and some kids are worried about being appreciated by the staff.  Unbelievable.  

Just now, UND1983 said:

Then why did you bring it up?   

This is a discussion board where it is ok to post rumors and second hand information. I have no problem with them doing this as long as it is presented as that and not fact. I can't stand how some people attack posters on the board for bringing up info but not releasing names, they have every right to do this and we should be thankful they have shared what they have.

I have no inside info so this is purely guessing on my part but my guess is that they are younger players who were in a reserve role and not from the area as that is what most defections are. My guess is someone like Demon Taylor or Bryce Blair, someone with no ties to the school and not regional players.

Thank you to every poster who shares whatever inside info they have and are comfortable giving us, some of us appreciate it

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

This is a discussion board where it is ok to post rumors and second hand information. I have no problem with them doing this as long as it is presented as that and not fact. I can't stand how some people attack posters on the board for bringing up info but not releasing names, they have every right to do this and we should be thankful they have shared what they have.

I have no inside info so this is purely guessing on my part but my guess is that they are younger players who were in a reserve role and not from the area as that is what most defections are. My guess is someone like Demon Taylor or Bryce Blair, someone with no ties to the school and not regional players.

Thank you to every poster who shares whatever inside info they have and are comfortable giving us, some of us appreciate it

No it isn't OK to continuously post the same "rumor".  We heard the "rumor" a few days ago.  All todays stuff did was piggyback that and essentially tell us nothing.  How many times can they keep saying nothing?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

I'd say you keep your "guesswork" off of a public message board, especially naming names when you have no idea on the kid's commitment & attitudes towards the program.

If kids officially leave, then the names will come out, until then keep the speculation off of here please...

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No it isn't OK to continuously post the same "rumor".  We heard the "rumor" a few days ago.  All todays stuff did was piggyback that and essentially tell us nothing.  How many times can they keep saying nothing?

Just because you feel that way doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you. If enough people post the same rumor then there must be some sort of truth that goes along with it. It's reasons like these that I no longer post info when I hear about it, you just get your head torn off by people.

38 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Well If there is a chance they will come back after Christmas why even go down the road? What is the need to share that you know something, that you can't share, that might not happen.

I don't know if they will change their minds or not after the holidays (I personally hope they do) which I am entitled to my hopes. But to answer your question, the topic was already brought up; I simply commented, then chose to no longer comment. Period.

You know what the worst part of this is? Why we sit here and bicker about who is or isn't leaving our program, Joel Heitkamp is on KFGO broadcasting live from the Fargodump, doing a 3 hour pre-pre-game show before NDSU's nationally televised FCS Semifinal game vs. Richmond. :glare:

Bubba's rebuiilding job cannot be finished soon enough. :angry:

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Westside said:

Let's all just watch this video again (specifically the 1:47 mark until the end) & then ask ourselves if Bubba & his staff don't appreciate the players....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3889465-und-football-big-sky-dumbfounded-fcs-playoff-picks

Just for clarity, how you might feel about me and how I think you feel about me can be two different things. No one said Bubba or his coaches don't factually appreciate the players.  I used "me" and "I" simply to illustrate a point. I/me am not one that Bubba should care about. I don't play for UND. Just want to make that perfectly clear.

Every year  we have some freshmen leave the program.  They might be decent  players but they might be thinking it is going to be tough to crack the lineup and they are insecure as to how much playing time they think  they will get in the future.  They all want to play right away.  I am not sure what is going on in this case.  Every player is different.  Some need more attention than others.  I think Bubba will handle it appropriately.

3 hours ago, AFMSGT said:

I will say this though, and its just my 2 cents that don't matter to anyone important; the staff should take the time to reconnect with its current roster and remind them they are appreciated for what they did in 2015. I am hearing some kids feel unappreciated while others just have other goals in life that are competing with football (and school).

Getting a kid to commit is great, but building relationships with kids already in your program goes a long way toward recruiting other good kids. I get the sense from reading previous posts that the goal at UND is to keep getting better as a program by bringing in better talent, which from a business standpoint, makes perfect sense.  But, I also think if you don't continue to build a relationship with those that have already let blood, sweat and tears for you...defections will continue to happen. And I think some of the kids are feeling that way according to the rumor mill.  On the flip side, the kids need to know and understand that college football is a business.

Moving from high school to college in general - and college athletics specifically - can be a big slap upside the head for many. Whether in the classroom, the weight room, the meeting room, or on the field, it's the first time some guys have truly been tested. And in their freshman years they find out that the fantasy of playing college football is far different from the reality of it.

Most are able to roll with it and come out stronger. Others find they just aren't ready or willing to make that sort of commitment. Right or wrong - who knows, but they make their choices to stay or go and then have to live with whatever comes next. That's just part of becoming an adult.

If the rumored departure is true, from what I have heard it's got nothing to do with lack of appreciation or potential for playing time. It's just a kid that believes that college, or college football, just isn't for him and other considerations are more important. I heard a similar thing about Justus Merz - that he wants a life that doesn't require a college degree and decided not to just hang on and put out a half-hearted effort. It's unfortunate for us as fans. It sucks for the coaches. It might or might not be a mistake for the young men - but I'd rather have guys that are committed to going to class, doing the work, and representing the program on and off the field. If they can't do that, it's easy to make an argument that the responsible and more courageous thing to do is to move on and let someone who really wants the opportunity to have it.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Per Dom's twitter, I see ndsu dismissed a kid from Sioux Falls and a player from Missouri quit the team (Nice timing on the release to the media 2 hours before kickoff of a semifinal game).

Point being is that attrition happens everywhere.

I get your greater point.  It's just magnified when it's on a team that is trying to build quality depth.

13 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I get your greater point.  It's just magnified when it's on a team that is trying to build quality depth.

I do not disagree nor am I discounting the importance.  Just some perspective.

I would hate to lose anyone right now given what you said. We are finally starting to turn the corner in that department since the staff change.