SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. DU Pioneers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

If any one has watched this season's team offensively under Berry and have not been able to see they play differently than Hak's teams did scheme wise in the offensive zone....................

Hak had success at UND.......really good success but it is obvious Berry is more willing to let his players use their offensive talents and adapt vs running a "system" because that is what needs to be done........"play within the system".

• Upvote 3

Whatever the cause of this play is, it sure is a privilege to watch.   Until we play the top teams from the east we will not know for certain how they match up, but I like our chances.  

If the boys do win a banner this year, the most obvious and indisputable change has been the name.   Quite sure that is the difference maker.   

Ducks down for incoming . . .

LOL! :lol:

Seriously though, you are right, it is a privilege to watch this team. As for "the top teams from the east", I am not scared of any of those teams. The NCHC is, top to bottom, the toughest conference in the country. We'll be battle-tested and ready for whatever comes our way in March and April.

• Upvote 2

If any one has watched this season's team offensively under Berry and have not been able to see they play differently than Hak's teams did scheme wise in the offensive zone....................

Hak had success at UND.......really good success but it is obvious Berry is more willing to let his players use their offensive talents and adapt vs running a "system" because that is what needs to be done........"play within the system".

I'll agree with this, but does it have anything to do with the talent we have on the current sqaud? I'm not fully convinced it's a Barry vs. Hak system kind of thing, I feel like it's a talent thing. I don't seem to remember the DOT line, the Pony Express or even the likes of Nelson, Kristo and Knight dumping the puck in very much. Seems like these guys all created plays into the zone because they had that ability. We haven't had this kind of talent in a forward group over the last handful of years, but when we have in the past, I feel like it has looked a lot like the play UND has brought this year.

• Upvote 2

LOL! :lol:

Seriously though, you are right, it is a privilege to watch this team. As for "the top teams from the east", I am not scared of any of those teams. The NCHC is, top to bottom, the toughest conference in the country. We'll be battle-tested and ready for whatever comes our way in March and April.

Definitely agree with that. After this weekend, regardless if we do stumble at some point of the year, which I'm sure we will, UND will be able to look back at the Denver series and know that when they are at their best, they can beat anyone. It's not just the talent, it's the effort. The compete level was through the roof for 120 minutes this past weekend. Couple that with a really tremendous group of talent, it'd be silly for anyone to think we aren't the cream of the crop, or AT MINIMUM, right near the top.

• Upvote 3

As to the teams from the east, I wasn't implying that we are not as good as them, just that we don't know how the personnel and styles of play match up.  

One thing I think Denver's D will remember from this series is not to give the shooter so much room on the odd man rushes if the shooter is Boeser or Caggiula.   They really let them into prime scoring position several times, letting the goalie take the shooter.  That said, there really is no good alternative with those three, is there?   :)

Edited by burd

I'm tired of hearing about the east

Why don't we play them until the end & then they win ?

& it seems they have one or 2 stars & a bunch of average seniors & a goalie who decides to stand on his head

Our formula of 1 or 2 year stars just can never get it done

I'm tired of hearing about the east

Why don't we play them until the end & then they win ?

& it seems they have one or 2 stars & a bunch of average seniors & a goalie who decides to stand on his head

Our formula of 1 or 2 year stars just can never get it done

I'd like to see them travel further than forty miles to play also. BC and BU, and all the others have essential home games every year.

• Upvote 2

BC hasn't been winning tournaments because of home ice advantage. 

You don't say?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that, but it's not like there isn't an advantage to not have to travel either. I was just saying it would be nice to see them play somewhere other than forty miles from campus for once.

• Upvote 1

Certainly hasn't hurt though.  ;)
When they do get shipped out of the east, it typically doesn't end well for them:

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1011/boxes/mbc_cc_1.m25

You're right that it doesn't hurt, brian.   I don't know, but I think BC and others like BU, Mich, and UMinn usually get shipped only when their seeding is lower. UMinn gets a similar sweetheart deal, though obviously not as sweet due to the dearth of options close to Mpls.  But it always sticks in my craw a little so see them playing in town so often.  

But it's a marketplace reality we have to deal with, since the FF is not coming to GF anytime soon.  And we can, because we're good enough.  

You're right that it doesn't hurt, brian.   I don't know, but I think BC and others like BU, Mich, and UMinn usually get shipped only when their seeding is lower. UMinn gets a similar sweetheart deal, though obviously not as sweet due to the dearth of options close to Mpls.  But it always sticks in my craw a little so see them playing in town so often.  

But it's a marketplace reality we have to deal with, since the FF is not coming to GF anytime soon.  And we can, because we're good enough.  

How about the Alerus Commission wake up and figure out how to host a Hockey regional?

• Upvote 1

How about the Alerus Commission wake up and figure out how to host a Hockey regional?

That would work, wouldn't it? Off-campus, large enough, and you know we would pack the place.

I don't think they put pipes into the Alerus Center when they built it; I kept hearing the argument "there are many fine facilities already available". :silly: And remember, this was before REA was announced. ???

Maybe it is worth rethinking now?

Hockey is terrible to watch in a football arena. Does the Alerus Center even have the necessary capabilities to host it? If so, they'd have to buy a ton of new equipment that would get used maybe once or twice. The place already has a hard enough time making money.