SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. DU Pioneers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Pretty sure they have rented ice making equipment for Disney on Ice shows.  Hockey boards, probably can rent those also.  Ask someone who has hosted an outdoor game.   I'd rather keep the event in GF and have more seats than the Scheels Arena.  There should be a way of making this work.  Huge potential for concession sales (like a concert).

• Upvote 3

Pretty sure they have rented ice making equipment for Disney on Ice shows.  Hockey boards, probably can rent those also.  Ask someone who has hosted an outdoor game.   I'd rather keep the event in GF and have more seats than the Scheels Arena.  There should be a way of making this work.  Huge potential for concession sales (like a concert).

The NCAA gets most of the ticket revenue for NCAA tournament games. It would be hard for the Alerus Center to compete with regular arenas with hockey capability if they have to add costs for rental of ice and hockey equipment. It would be great for UND fans, but not much chance of it actually being viable.

The NCAA gets most of the ticket revenue for NCAA tournament games. It would be hard for the Alerus Center to compete with regular arenas with hockey capability if they have to add costs for rental of ice and hockey equipment. It would be great for UND fans, but not much chance of it actually being viable.

Then how about getting corporate sponsors to cover the rental costs to bring this event to GF instead of Scheels Arena in Fargo?

Then how about getting corporate sponsors to cover the rental costs to bring this event to GF instead of Scheels Arena in Fargo?

The NCAA gets the bulk of all revenue from the NCAA tournament.  They get all sponsor dollars. It is their event. They aren't going to give up those dollars so that UND fans can watch their team play in Grand Forks.

The NCAA gets the bulk of all revenue from the NCAA tournament.  They get all sponsor dollars. It is their event. They aren't going to give up those dollars so that UND fans can watch their team play in Grand Forks.

OK, so I guess we are stuck with Scheels Arena. 

I think it would be tough to get corporate sponsors when they aren't allowed to advertise at the event. They cover up all advertising along the boards and in the arena. It's about as sterile as possible in the venue. Plus I'm sure the NCAA makes sure they get their (large) cut of any sponsorships used to get the event here.