SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. DU Pioneers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Hope this team hasn't peaked already.  Wow, what a weekend, and what a top line.

I thought about that, too, but it's not just our skill that's winning, it's effort. Top to bottom, all zones. This team has bought in. Skill can wane from game to game, but if we bring it like we did this weekend, our skill will continue to roll teams. It's one thing to be better then a team, it's a whole different to outwork them. We're getting both. This team, man. Pretty special, right now.

• Upvote 3

When is the last time UND has had a class with four defensemen like Ausmus, Stecher, LaDue, and Thompson?

Maybe that one week, mid summer 1981 before Chelios changed his mind and they had James Patrick already coming in. I think Ludwig and Zombo were also on the blue line.  And that Whitsitt guy...but no, Chelios decided that Wisco was the place to be.  

(and it didn't matter).

Edited by 808287
obvious point.

I thought about that, too, but it's not just our skill that's winning, it's effort. Top to bottom, all zones. This team has bought in. Skill can wane from game to game, but if we bring it like we did this weekend, our skill will continue to roll teams. It's one thing to be better then a team, it's a whole different to outwork them. We're getting both. This team, man. Pretty special, right now.

I'd say this has to be the team to win it all!!!

Somebody posted before the game that Denver would probably be coming at Boeser harder in this game.  Look for teams to start hitting CBS as much as possible. 

I just dont know if it can stop them? All three of them just have incredible chemistry and are always a step ahead of the defense. Big hits that will draw space only give these three room to move. They all have ability to create space.

Being present at the games for the first time this season, I can't even compare them to anyone since the start of my fandom. The work ethic of every line, and the level of skill. They just took the 9th ranked team in the country and completely embarrassed them. Wow.

• Upvote 2

The power in college hockey has shifted decidedly to the East.  It'll be interesting to see how UND and SCSU, both of which look to be really good, and UMD and UNO, who probably are also but who I haven't seen, will match up with BC, Providence and Q.  Without checking, I think Q swept SCSU already this year.  So it might be tricky.

Also, UND's window with this group is exactly one year long, I fear.  Not that they can't do it again with another group, but there're a bunch of guys on this team too good to be in college again next year.

• Upvote 1

As good as the CBS line is so far, what about the goal tending? Who'd thought?

The goalies have been standing their ground, for sure.  That said, this team has "bought in" and is blocking a LOT of shots in front of those goalies.  The shot blocking and defense (a group of studs) are HUGE reasons that the netminders have had a good record.  Back to my opening lead though, the times when goalies have had to be solid, they have been solid for the most part.  Wisco friday night and JBSU saturday night are the lone two exceptions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That was a dominating weekend.

Congrats to Cam on his first shutout.

CBS line is amazing.

Other lines are starting to gel more, loved seeing Pogs get a few this weekend.

This team is very fun to watch right now, we'll see how they do next weekend on the road to Duluth!

I was surprised to see Sanderson replace Gersich, but that was the most dominant I've seen the 4th line this season.  They seemed to have good chemistry, and I noticed several times when they were just cycling away in the offensive zone.  Brad and Jayson made good points in the chat about Gersich sitting...he hasn't been producing the past month, and maybe the coaches sat him because they expect more out of him.  Either way, having Sanderson in there wasn't a bad thing, especially since he's a quality PKer.

LJ drives me nuts with his stupid penalties.  A tripping penalty on the end boards of the offensive zone?  Definitely not needed.

The CBS line continues to amaze me.  Schmaltz stole the puck several times by catching up behind someone on the backcheck, including on Cags goal.  Boeser's awareness to dive onsides plus the subsequent goal.  In addition to Caggiula's snipe, there were many other times when he drove hard to the net to create chances.

I'm thrilled Pogo is getting his groove back.  The first few weeks of the season, I couldn't believe the improvement from last season.  Then, he kind of disappeared for awhile.  Maybe it's just a matter of finding good line combinations.

I also think this was Chyzyk's best game in awhile.  He seemed to have some decent chances.  There was one shot that he batted out of midair, but it went just wide.

I like JJ as a top 6 forward.  I think he has the skill and tenacity to be up there, and he's significantly more noticeable in that role.

I didn't expect a sweep, and I certainly didn't expect a sweep in such decisive fashion.  This season is fun :D

And the smarts to go parallel to the line to get a foot on it. 

My favorite play of the game! That play isn't that far behind the tic tac toe for my money. not only do those guys score but they make it miserable for the other team. Constantly lifting sticks stealing pucks then immediately turning it up ice.  Even when they are 3 on 3 it seems like a odd man rush because of patience and constant movement without the puck 

also schmaltz two way game is outstanding. He and jewels on the pk is on bad decision from a scoring chance. All three play strong two way hockey as does the whole team.

if you want to see a one line team that doesn't have much else look at UNH. Their two guys are the ones around drake and nick in stats but are an average team at best. UND overall team d and current group of skaters are hard to match up against.

The style of play is much different than Haks. Very obvious to see that game by game. The pk got back on track this weekend. The pp is still so so but it hasn't mattered to this point 

Edited by AZSIOUX
  • Upvote 1

My favorite play of the game! That play isn't that far behind the tic tac toe for my money. not only do those guys score but they make it miserable for the other team. Constantly lifting sticks stealing pucks then immediately turning it up ice.  Even when they are 3 on 3 it seems like a odd man rush because of patience and constant movement without the puck 

also schmaltz two way game is outstanding. He and jewels on the pk is on bad decision from a scoring chance. All three play strong two way hockey as does the whole team.

if you want to see a one line team that doesn't have much else look at UNH. Their two guys are the ones around drake and nick in stats but are an average team at best. UND overall team d and current group of skaters are hard to match up against.

The style of play is much different than Haks. Very obvious to see that game by game. The pk got back on track this weekend. The pp is still so so but it hasn't mattered to this point 

In what way, exactly, AZ?    

In what way, exactly, AZ?    

Not AZ here, but from my prospective we carry in the puck much more which allows for much more creativity especially with the top line - not nearly as much ringing the puck around the boards.  Players seem to have more freedom to create this year.

• Upvote 2

I'm watching last night's UND game and to a non-Hawks fan, one would think Jake Brandt is the biggest homer announcer but to me, I absolutely love his enthusiasm and energy! He was so fired up with the team's play, particularly Schmaltz's defensive stick play!

• Upvote 1

Not AZ here, but from my prospective we carry in the puck much more which allows for much more creativity especially with the top line - not nearly as much ringing the puck around the boards.  Players seem to have more freedom to create this year.

Im not positive on this, but I have read that the defense dictates wether you carry it in or dump and chase. Maybe the speed of the offense this season changes the defense? 

If this simple change would give success verses not changing, why would Hak not do it? In other words, no way this is because of a coaching decision only, IMO.