SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

EWU would actually either have a 1 game winning or losing streak, to end the year. If they finish the year with a  3 game losing streak, that means they lose their last 2 and end up at 6-5. If they split, they get in before UND at 7-4 with their losses being Oregon, UNI, NAU and PSU/Montana.

Good insight, crazy how what seems to be the top teams this year don't play each other until the last couple weeks. Also strange to see who the upper teams seem to be this year. A lot of parity in the Big Sky and FCS in general.

You are correct, I missed that. If EWU loses out, they are 6-5 and out of the playoffs. 1-1 and they are on the bubble. Really crazy, how some of these big games were scheduled so late. I'm not complaining though, it makes for a really fun/interesting end to the season. I just hope in two weeks we are all talking about the first round, and not a missed opportunity. I really think we have the skill to win these last two games, but we MUST play a full 4 quarters. 

7 total wins with one of them being D2 will get nobody into the playoffs. This is why I love that we don't have D2 teams on the schedule. We played enough of them in the transition out of necessity. Not playing D2s gives us a distinct advantage. 

Completely agree. Also makes it really understandable why some FBS schools don't want to schedule FCS teams.

You are correct, I missed that. If EWU loses out, they are 6-5 and out of the playoffs. 1-1 and they are on the bubble. Really crazy, how some of these big games were scheduled so late. I'm not complaining though, it makes for a really fun/interesting end to the season. I just hope in two weeks we are all talking about the first round, and not a missed opportunity. I really think we have the skill to win these last two games, but we MUST play a full 4 quarters. 

Short of the Brawl of the Wild, I don't think anyone expected these late games to mean that much (and even that one doesn't mean a whole lot).  Here are the preseason polls for reference:

2015 Preseason Football Polls
Coaches' Poll
1. Montana State (6)                            134
2. Eastern Washington (6)                  133
3. Montana (1)                                      121
4. Cal Poly                                             111
5. Northern Arizona                               95
6. Idaho State                                       90
7. Sacramento State                             66
8. Southern Utah                                   64
9. Portland State                                    51
9. North Dakota                                     51
11. Weber State                                     43
12. UC Davis                                          33
13. Northern Colorado                           22

Media Poll
1. Eastern Washington (17)                 553
2. Montana State (17)                          541
3. Montana (5)                                    446
3. Idaho State (5)                               446
5. Cal Poly (1)                                     433
6. Northern Arizona (1)                       399
7. Sacramento State                           278
8. Southern Utah                                 255
9. North Dakota                                   226
10. Weber State                                   160
11. UC Davis                                         145
12. Portland State                                133
13. Northern Colorado                          127

Short of the Brawl of the Wild, I don't think anyone expected these late games to mean that much (and even that one doesn't mean a whole lot).  Here are the preseason polls for reference:

2015 Preseason Football Polls
Coaches' Poll
1. Montana State (6)                            134
2. Eastern Washington (6)                  133
3. Montana (1)                                      121
4. Cal Poly                                             111
5. Northern Arizona                               95
6. Idaho State                                       90
7. Sacramento State                             66
8. Southern Utah                                   64
9. Portland State                                    51
9. North Dakota                                     51
11. Weber State                                     43
12. UC Davis                                          33
13. Northern Colorado                           22

Media Poll
1. Eastern Washington (17)                 553
2. Montana State (17)                          541
3. Montana (5)                                    446
3. Idaho State (5)                               446
5. Cal Poly (1)                                     433
6. Northern Arizona (1)                       399
7. Sacramento State                           278
8. Southern Utah                                 255
9. North Dakota                                   226
10. Weber State                                   160
11. UC Davis                                         145
12. Portland State                                133
13. Northern Colorado                          127

Pretty funny to see how things have worked out so far. As is said every year, preseason accolades don't mean squat. 

Now that Keaton's back, and IF und were to win out , could und pitch the fact the team has only 1 loss with him as a starter. And that 1 loss is the team that's one hour south. 

I don't consider the idaho st a loss for him. Und was in control and leading (31-18? ) in the 4th qtr before he was injured.  He just seems to have the "it" factor, and more importantly, he seems to have the backing and respect from his team mates which is monumental for a qb. Just listen to their interviews.     

You can say that there have been many injuries that have affected play, and und has their fair share of them, but ultimately the qb position is the one position that is hardest to replace  and the one that requires the most leadership skills. If New England were to lose brady, could they finish the season undefeated ??  

That's not to say its the only reason why und lost the those games, because they can definitely clean up with the fumbles,the stale predictable offensive play calling and the secondary fundamentals but Keaton's record indicates he has "something" that obviously Bartles doesn't have and that cost und !!!

I believe this group of seniors will be the class we look back at and say they were the the ones that got us back to being relevant.  The players want it, the coaches want it and for damn sure we as fans want it!!!  Get out to the alerus this Saturday and be loud and proud and send the seniors off with a victory!!!!!

• Upvote 3

Now that Keaton's back, and IF und were to win out , could und pitch the fact the team has only 1 loss with him as a starter. And that 1 loss is the team that's one hour south. 

I don't consider the idaho st a loss for him. Und was in control and leading (31-18? ) in the 4th qtr before he was injured.  He just seems to have the "it" factor, and more importantly, he seems to have the backing and respect from his team mates which is monumental for a qb. Just listen to their interviews.     

You can say that there have been many injuries that have affected play, and und has their fair share of them, but ultimately the qb position is the one position that is hardest to replace  and the one that requires the most leadership skills. If New England were to lose brady, could they finish the season undefeated ??  

That's not to say its the only reason why und lost the those games, because they can definitely clean up with the fumbles,the stale predictable offensive play calling and the secondary fundamentals but Keaton's record indicates he has "something" that obviously Bartles doesn't have and that cost und !!!

I believe this group of seniors will be the class we look back at and say they were the the ones that got us back to being relevant.  The players want it, the coaches want it and for damn sure we as fans want it!!!  Get out to the alerus this Saturday and be loud and proud and send the seniors off with a victory!!!!!

I really dont see that as a pitch. There are plenty of other teams that run into the same issue (ex. Montana). There are also plenty of other team that lose key players in other positions to injury. I just think the injury argument is irrelevant. You have to go by the product you had ON the field.

I stil think UND looks good as long as we win our next two. The field should clear up after this weekend.

I really dont see that as a pitch. There are plenty of other teams that run into the same issue (ex. Montana). There are also plenty of other team that lose key players in other positions to injury. I just think the injury argument is irrelevant. You have to go by the product you had ON the field.

I stil think UND looks good as long as we win our next two. The field should clear up after this weekend.

The "injury bug is irrelevant" comment could stick if that injury was a season ending injury but Keaton is back and 1-0 since his return.  When he was injured the team went 0-3 and 4-1 when he started and finished the game.  5-1 with Keaton, 0-3 without.  I believe they could make an argument !

You're right on the fact that every team has injuries but when it's the qb position and it's a team that's already young and inexperienced like und is, losing your starting qb deflates.  Your example is montana.  Montana has won some games with their 3rd string,  as where und was just lost with their 2nd stringer.  Plus montana is a perennial power team.  They just reload.  

You mentioned , "you have to go by the product you have on the field" !  That's what I'm saying ! 

• Upvote 1

The "injury bug is irrelevant" comment could stick if that injury was a season ending injury but Keaton is back and 1-0 since his return.  When he was injured the team went 0-3 and 4-1 when he started and finished the game.  5-1 with Keaton, 0-3 without.  I believe they could make an argument !

You're right on the fact that every team has injuries but when it's the qb position and it's a team that's already young and inexperienced like und is, losing your starting qb deflates.  Your example is montana.  Montana has won some games with their 3rd string,  as where und was just lost with their 2nd stringer.  Plus montana is a perennial power team.  They just reload.  

You mentioned , "you have to go by the product you have on the field" !  That's what I'm saying ! 

Argue about the injuries all you want, but UND's situation is not unique in college football, this year or any year.  Several teams have lost their starting QB, a few that come to mind are Villanova, James Madison, Montana (already mentioned).

If the playoff selection committee were to consider scenarios like the one you describe, then all FCS teams could come up with a similar scenario.  So, as siouxfan512 stated:  "you have to go by the product you have on the field", the committee bases their selection on the entire season, no matter who was or wasn't in the starting line-up for each team.

Anyways, IMHO, the selection committee will consider UND's final record, which if it is 7-4, can make a case for being in the playoffs, based on who they've played and beat.

Argue about the injuries all you want, but UND's situation is not unique in college football, this year or any year.  Several teams have lost their starting QB, a few that come to mind are Villanova, James Madison, Montana (already mentioned).

If the playoff selection committee were to consider scenarios like the one you describe, then all FCS teams could come up with a similar scenario.  So, as siouxfan512 stated:  "you have to go by the product you have on the field", the committee bases their selection on the entire season, no matter who was or wasn't in the starting line-up for each team.

Anyways, IMHO, the selection committee will consider UND's final record, which if it is 7-4, can make a case for being in the playoffs, based on who they've played and beat.

Nova and James Madison qbs are season ending, not sure with Montana's situation.   They  couldn't make that argument.  Keaton is back. 

Lets say ndsu went  0-3 without carson but knew he would be back before the playoffs, if at that point the playoffs were looking murky, you couldn't tell me the fans wouldn't be asking or saying the same thing.  

Again, two games left, a lot of football to be played and perhaps come Saturday this will be a mute point.  My question has been, would und make a pitch, not saying the committee should or better take that into consideration.  So I'll agree to disagree in saying that und wouldn't at least throw that pitch towards the playoff committee if they win out. 

Nova and James Madison qbs are season ending, not sure with Montana's situation.   They  couldn't make that argument.  Keaton is back. 

Lets say ndsu went  0-3 without carson but knew he would be back before the playoffs, if at that point the playoffs were looking murky, you couldn't tell me the fans wouldn't be asking or saying the same thing.  

Again, two games left, a lot of football to be played and perhaps come Saturday this will be a mute point.  My question has been, would und make a pitch, not saying the committee should or better take that into consideration.  So I'll agree to disagree in saying that und wouldn't at least throw that pitch towards the playoff committee if they win out. 

Committee won't consider the injuries.

Its all about wins and losses, and who those wins came against. 

After this Saturday, playoff debate for UND better not be a moot point. I expect UND to get the job done at home. Let's respect Northern Colorado, but not fear them. 

• Upvote 2

But you can't just throw out two losses because Keaton was out injured. How many losses would MT throw out? Hell they beat NDSU when their starter was in.

If a guy goes down, the rest of the team needs to step up to win those games. I get where you are going with it. Basically if we are a bubble team we could be perceived as better now that we are playing with our starters, I'm just not sure how relevant of an argument that is, when other teams have key injuries as well, even if they may be at other positions. It could also be noted that UND didn't lose those games purely because Keaton was out. We had two score leads in those games, and completely fell apart late, on offense and defense.

I hope we win out, and I hope we make the playoffs, but I really hope our team remembers those losses over these next two week, and even these next couple years. That is why you need to play a full 4 quarters.

Committee won't consider the injuries.

Its all about wins and losses, and who those wins came against. 

After this Saturday, playoff debate for UND better not be a moot point. I expect UND to get the job done at home. Let's respect Northern Colorado, but not fear them. 

Exactly. Kick their ass all game long but help them up after every play so you can give it to them again on the next one.

But you can't just throw out two losses because Keaton was out injured. How many losses would MT throw out? Hell they beat NDSU when their starter was in.

If a guy goes down, the rest of the team needs to step up to win those games. I get where you are going with it. Basically if we are a bubble team we could be perceived as better now that we are playing with our starters, I'm just not sure how relevant of an argument that is, when other teams have key injuries as well, even if they may be at other positions. It could also be noted that UND didn't lose those games purely because Keaton was out. We had two score leads in those games, and completely fell apart late, on offense and defense.

I hope we win out, and I hope we make the playoffs, but I really hope our team remembers those losses over these next two week, and even these next couple years. That is why you need to play a full 4 quarters.

Could you imagine how crazy the playoff selection would be if there was a point system to award teams for having injuries? It would look something like this I'm sure.

I agree they can't really look at injuries for the most part, there are just too many injuries for too many teams.  However if they are down to the final 2 teams for one spot, one team had a healthy QB all year and ours was injured and we suffered some losses without him, but finished up the season strong with 3 wins with him back in, they may take that into consideration.  Let's just win these last two and hope it all shakes out! 

Keeping with the theme that "the playoffs start today", this game against Northern Colorado is probably the most meaningful game to be played in the Alerus Center since the 1st round playoff game in 2005 when we sort of limped into the playoffs on a two game losing streak after breezing through most of the season.  Ironically, Bubba was the opposition head coach for UM Duluth that day. 

• Upvote 3

Keeping with the theme that "the playoffs start today", this game against Northern Colorado is probably the most meaningful game to be played in the Alerus Center since the 1st round playoff game in 2005 when we sort of limped into the playoffs on a two game losing streak after breezing through most of the season.  Ironically, Bubba was the opposition head coach for UM Duluth that day. 

That was just two weeks after the meltdown vs. Omaha that ruined that entire season. The program really was never the same after that as a Division II playoff contender. :(

Guys I'm worried about how low we are in the GPI. That is supposedly what the committee looks at for selection and seeding.  Prior to this win we were 42.

http://www.fcsinsider.com/news/articles/2015/371/gridiron-power-index--ndsu-back-at-no-1/

I'm not sure how many but there are teams ahead of UND that lost or are sitting with 6 wins as well. Today's win also won't hurt.  Beat Cal Poly next week is all UND can control