SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/7671

George Hammond wrote this article on 11/2/2015. ... 

Are you sure? I load the article and it says "Sun, 11/03/2013". 

That, and he has Eastern Washington, Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona coming from the BSC. Uh ... no. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Are you sure? I load the article and it says "Sun, 11/03/2013". 

That, and he has Eastern Washington, Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona coming from the BSC. Uh ... no. 

The article is from 11/03/2013, but if you click the link to the bracket, the bracket was updated 10/31/15

The article is from 11/03/2013, but if you click the link to the bracket, the bracket was updated 10/31/15

But even in his 10/31/15 bracket and his 11/01/15 article he has Montana State in. Heck, he has Northern Iowa in. 

The sound you just heard was his credibility needle bouncing off zero. 

Stats.com has a bracket that includes 4 BSC teams but no UND.

Http://www.fcs.football/fcsfront.asp

check out the article by Craig Haley.

I don't think that dude does his homework.   if 4 big sky teams gets in, I think we'll be in with two more wins.   we will benefit from everyone else who sits ahead of us in the standings playing other teams above us in the standings over the next two weeks. 

It's going to be real interesting to see how this shakes out, and how the unbalanced schedule and the tie breakers come into play.  Just looking at the loss column of the standings, I see 5 teams still in the running for the Big Sky's autobid:  SUU, EWU, PSU, NAU, and UM.  It is difficult to make heads or tails of it, especially when those 5 are basically going to all be playing each other over the next two weeks.

Northern Arizona should beat Sac St. this weekend and will likely enter the final week at 5-2 in conference play.

Northern Colorado probably helped our cause by beating PSU.  Our best chance for getting in right now is obviously for us to win the next two, but also for PSU to lose their next two.

Here's who the 5 Big Sky title contenders have left:

-Southern Utah (6-0):  @ Portland St., vs. NAU

-Eastern Washington (5-1) @ Montana, vs. Portland St.

-Portland St. (4-2): vs. Southern Utah, @ Eastern Washington

-Northern Arizona (4-2): vs. Sacramento St., @ Southern Utah

-Montana (4-2):  vs Eastern Washington, @ Montana St.

I will be cheering hard this Saturday for North Dakota, Southern Utah, Sacramento, and Eastern Washington.  It would definately be in our best interests for the two conference front-runners, SUU & EWU, to do well the next two weeks.

I don't think UNC has playoff hopes IMO.  Even if they win out, they'd only have 6 DI wins.

Edited by bincitysioux

It's going to be real interesting to see how this shakes out, and how the unbalanced schedule and the tie breakers come into play.  Just looking at the loss column of the standings, I see 5 teams still in the running for the Big Sky's autobid:  SUU, EWU, PSU, NAU, and UM.  It is difficult to make heads or tails of it, especially when those 5 are basically going to all be playing each other over the next two weeks.

Northern Arizona should beat Sac St. this weekend and will likely enter the final week at 5-2 in conference play.

Northern Colorado probably helped our cause by beating PSU.  Our best chance for getting in right now is obviously for us to win the next two, but also for PSU to lose their next two.

Here's who the 5 Big Sky title contenders have left:

-Southern Utah (6-0):  @ Portland St., vs. NAU

-Eastern Washington (5-1) @ Montana, vs. Portland St.

-Portland St. (4-2): vs. Southern Utah, @ Eastern Washington

-Northern Arizona (4-2): vs. Sacramento St., @ Southern Utah

-Montana (4-2):  vs Eastern Washington, @ Montana St.

I will be cheering hard this Saturday for North Dakota, Southern Utah, Sacramento, and Eastern Washington.  It would definately be in our best interests for the two conference front-runners, SUU & EWU, to do well the next two weeks.

I don't think UNC has playoff hopes IMO.  Even if they win out, they'd only have 6 DI wins.

I agree with your analysis.  if all of that happens, we would enter the last weekend with a chance to end up tied for third at the worst with another win, and possibly in third alone....  I think.... and if we're tied with Portland St. at the end of the year we have the head to head.... but if tied with NAU I think their conference wins will look better IMO, however, they have a division 2 victory.....  

Edited by Siouxphan27

It's time for this team to deliver. Finishing 7-4 would be a great sign that things are headed in the right direction and quicker than most expected. If we do finish 7-4 I'm sure I won't be alone in lamenting how close we were to being 9-2... that would have been ridiculous. Making the playoffs would be incredible given where we were two seasons ago. Let's support the hell out of this team on Saturday and give them any advantage we can. This is where we help bring the football program back to legitimacy.

I don't think I'll be able to completely make myself forget about those two horrible losses, because UND was such a surprise going into that Idaho St. game. Nevertheless, this team has shown a ton of improvement. Closing this season out the right way would just reinforce the improvements we have seen so far, and would show that not only has our skill improved, but that our team is developing a winning mentality. Ask the Bison player and fans about it, they have developed the kind of winning mentality that winning programs need.

This has been a really fun season for UND football, and I can't believe there is only to weeks left in the regular season. Playoffs Baby! Lets do it!

• Upvote 4

Back to UND FOOTBALL!!! Glad the bye week has passed!

We all know exactly what UND needs to do take make the playoffs. Win! It’s that simple. Beat UNC and Cal-Poly and you are in the discussion. Unfortunately, there are several other Big Sky teams that have a similar record, and are also in the discussion. So for entertainment purposes, where does UND line up with the other teams. Most of these teams have the potential to end 7-4, so how will it all play out. I’ve put together my own assessment, and it is very speculative, so feel free to make arguments, but I did the best I could. I think it because very evident (as you read below) just how important that FBS win could be, and just how much a D2 win can work against you.

Team (Record) (Remaining Schedule)

N. Colorado (5-4) (@ UND, vs. Abilene Christian)

This one is pretty simple, UND wins and we stay in the playoff picture. N Colorado has the potential to win out and be at 7-4, but I don’t think their strength of schedule puts them in the playoff picture with a D2 win.

Ideal: UND wins this week

Montana (5-4) (vs. E Washington, @ Montana St)

Another team that needs to win out, with two tough games left. E. Washington is beatable, and had several close games prior to losing this last one … but they will put up point. This could be another shootout. As for the Montana St game, this is all the Bobcats have left to play for, and we all know how those rivalry games can play out. Hopefully E. Washington can take care of business this weekend and take the Griz out of the playoff conversation.

If the Griz win out and end with a 7-4 record how do they compare to UND? We have the FBS win, but they smoked us. Advantage – Montana

Ideal: Montana beats E. Washington but loses to Mt. St. (I would also be happy to see MT lose this weekend, and be out of the playoff picture right away)

N Arizona (6-3) (vs Sacramento St, @ Southern Utah)

I really do not see N Arizona losing out, though this is a team that lost to UC-Davis, so I guess anything is possible. Though, it will be tough for them to go into Cedar City and beat Southern Utah, as S. Utah is undefeated at home and putting up a lot of offense. For argument sake, let’s assume N Arizona goes 1-1 to end the season 7-4. UND beat Wyoming; N Arizona beat a D2 school – Advantage – North Dakota

Ideal: N Arizona loses to Sacramento St, but beats S. Utah

Portland St (7-2) (vs S. Utah, @ E. Washington)

Portland St. is really a curious situation. They are at 7-2, which is great. They have to play against S. Utah and at E. Washington, which is not great. They have TWO FBS WINS, which is great. They lost to UNC and UND (who could end with the same record) which is not great. After losing to UNC, I really do see Portland St. bouncing back; remember how they bounced back after losing to us? (a 66-7 win @ N Texas). I think Portland State wins, at least, one more and is in the playoffs.

If they drop their next two, they are at 7-4. Two FBS wins, but if they are compared to a 7-4 UND team, who has the edge? I would think UND, as we beat them (in Oregon), but 2 FBS wins should count for something. Not sure how this one would get looked at.

Ideal: Portland St beats S. Utah and E. Washington (Solidifies our win over Portland St.)

E. Washington (6-3) (@ Montana, vs Portland St.)

E Washington is another team who needs (at least) one more win. They have had several close games (They beat MT ST, Cal Poly, N Colorado and Weber St by a COMBINED TOTAL of 9 points!; and none of these are dominant teams this year). The Eagles better bring their game these next two weeks, because they could easily drop two and be completely out of the playoffs.

Again for the sake of argument, let’s say they go 1-1 to end the season 7-4. They have an FBS loss (Oregon), UND has an FBS win (Wyoming) – Not comparable FBS games, but it is what it is. Other Key Wins: (UND – Portland St & MT St) (EWU – TBD) The Eagles key wins/losses will be these last two weeks). It would also be important to note, if both team are 7-4, UND would have a 3 game win streak, while EWU would have a 3 game losing streak. If both teams are 7-4, I have to give UND the edge with the FBS win and winning at the end of the season, though this is a pretty close one if both teams are 7-4

Ideal: EWU loses to MT and Portland St.

S. Utah (7-2) (@ Portland St, vs N. Arizona)

S. Utah has not lost since week 2 at SDSU, but they have also not played the toughest schedule (until now). 1 win and they are in for sure. 0 wins, and they are right in that 7-4 mix. Again, if this team ends at 7-4, I give UND an edge over them. FBS win vs a D2 win.

Ideal: S. Utah Loses to Portland St and N. Arizona.

Edited by siouxfan512

I know its not necessarily "Bubba Ball" but I think UND needs to not only win the next two but do so with some style points. UND's wins have been by 11, 3, 7, 2 and 6.  In those games they had leads of 21, 21, 18, 6 and 14 respecitvely.  UND is also sitting at -29 point differential on the year.

Back to UND FOOTBALL!!! Glad the bye week has passed!

We all know exactly what UND needs to do take make the playoffs. Win! It’s that simple. Beat UNC and Cal-Poly and you are in the discussion. Unfortunately, there are several other Big Sky teams that have a similar record, and are also in the discussion. So for entertainment purposes, where does UND line up with the other teams. Most of these teams have the potential to end 7-4, so how will it all play out. I’ve put together my own assessment, and it is very speculative, so feel free to make arguments, but I did the best I could. I think it because very evident (as you read below) just how important that FBS win could be, and just how much a D2 win can work against you.

Team (Record) (Remaining Schedule)

N. Colorado (5-4) (@ UND, vs. Abilene Christian)

This one is pretty simple, UND wins and we stay in the playoff picture. N Colorado has the potential to win out and be at 7-4, but I don’t think their strength of schedule puts them in the playoff picture with a D2 win.

Ideal: UND wins this week

Montana (5-4) (vs. E Washington, @ Montana St)

Another team that needs to win out, with two tough games left. E. Washington is beatable, and had several close games prior to losing this last one … but they will put up point. This could be another shootout. As for the Montana St game, this is all the Bobcats have left to play for, and we all know how those rivalry games can play out. Hopefully E. Washington can take care of business this weekend and take the Griz out of the playoff conversation.

If the Griz win out and end with a 7-4 record how do they compare to UND? We have the FBS win, but they smoked us. Advantage – Montana

Ideal: Montana beats E. Washington but loses to Mt. St. (I would also be happy to see MT lose this weekend, and be out of the playoff picture right away)

N Arizona (6-3) (vs Sacramento St, @ Southern Utah)

I really do not see N Arizona losing out, though this is a team that lost to UC-Davis, so I guess anything is possible. Though, it will be tough for them to go into Cedar City and beat Southern Utah, as S. Utah is undefeated at home and putting up a lot of offense. For argument sake, let’s assume N Arizona goes 1-1 to end the season 7-4. UND beat Wyoming; N Arizona beat a D2 school – Advantage – North Dakota

Ideal: N Arizona loses to Sacramento St, but beats S. Utah

Portland St (7-2) (vs S. Utah, @ E. Washington)

Portland St. is really a curious situation. They are at 7-2, which is great. They have to play against S. Utah and at E. Washington, which is not great. They have TWO FBS WINS, which is great. They lost to UNC and UND (who could end with the same record) which is not great. After losing to UNC, I really do see Portland St. bouncing back; remember how they bounced back after losing to us? (a 66-7 win @ N Texas). I think Portland State wins, at least, one more and is in the playoffs.

If they drop their next two, they are at 7-4. Two FBS wins, but if they are compared to a 7-4 UND team, who has the edge? I would think UND, as we beat them (in Oregon), but 2 FBS wins should count for something. Not sure how this one would get looked at.

Ideal: Portland St beats S. Utah and E. Washington (Solidifies our win over Portland St.)

E Washington is another team who needs (at least) one more win. They have had several close games (They beat MT ST, Cal Poly, N Colorado and Weber St by a COMBINED TOTAL of 9 points!; and none of these are dominant teams this year). The Eagles better bring their game these next two weeks, because they could easily drop two and be completely out of the playoffs.

Again for the sake of argument, let’s say they go 1-1 to end the season 7-4. They have an FBS loss (Oregon), UND has an FBS win (Wyoming) – Not comparable FBS games, but it is what it is. Other Key Wins: (UND – Portland St & MT St) (EWU – TBD) The Eagles key wins/losses will be these last two weeks). It would also be important to note, if both team are 7-4, UND would have a 3 game win streak, while EWU would have a 3 game losing streak. If both teams are 7-4, I have to give UND the edge with the FBS win and winning at the end of the season, though this is a pretty close one if both teams are 7-4

S. Utah (7-2) (@ Portland St, vs N. Arizona)

S. Utah has not lost since week 2 at SDSU, but they have also not played the toughest schedule (until now). 1 win and they are in for sure. 0 wins, and they are right in that 7-4 mix. Again, if this team ends at 7-4, I give UND an edge over them. FBS win vs a D2 win.

Ideal: S. Utah Loses to Portland St and N. Arizona.

Nice analysis.  Only thing i would add is that EWU has pedigree.  It shouldn't matter, but it does.  If there's a benefit of the doubt to be had, they will get it.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 1

EWU would actually either have a 1 game winning or losing streak, to end the year. If they finish the year with a  3 game losing streak, that means they lose their last 2 and end up at 6-5. If they split, they get in before UND at 7-4 with their losses being Oregon, UNI, NAU and PSU/Montana.

Good insight, crazy how what seems to be the top teams this year don't play each other until the last couple weeks. Also strange to see who the upper teams seem to be this year. A lot of parity in the Big Sky and FCS in general.