SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

Keaton 6-1 this season, only loss to the #2 team in the nation.  This team is peeking!  The bye week was great as the team was able to heal up some wounds.

The playoffs are definitely in the discussion but a few things need to fall into place: und win, e wash lose, and mont to lose= und playoff bound.  

• Upvote 2

Worst UND can finish if they win is the 4th best resume in the BSC. They will jump the loser of SUU/NAU and will be ahead of EWU no matter what. I realize EWU is a bigger FCS name but even if they win they have the exact same record as UND without an FBS win. IMO UND is ahead of EW no matter what if UND wins.

if Montana also loses UND could get to the 3rd spot in the conference. Either way I do think UND is  in with a win. Across the country UND will jump any 7 win team without an FBS victory. I haven't looked at that but if we have the 3rd or 4th best resume in the sky we will be in, and we will have that with a win. Big Sky will get a minimum of 4 teams in, bank on it.

lets beat poly and then hopefully host a 1st round game.

Dom izzo's brackett on the bison media blog lays out this situation exactly. Win and in folks, let's get in these playoffs and see what happens!!

Edited by nodakhoops
  • Upvote 2

Keaton 6-1 this season, only loss to the #2 team in the nation.  This team is peeking!  The bye week was great as the team was able to heal up some wounds.

The playoffs are definitely in the discussion but a few things need to fall into place: und win, e wash lose, and mont to lose= und playoff bound.  

it would be better for seeding if EWU loses but we get in ahead of them no matter what. Just look at the resume, they would be the exact same except UND has an FBS win. UND wins they are at worst #4 in the BSC and #3 if Montana loses. IMO UND just needs to win and they will be in. See my previous post for explanation. WIN AND IN!

it would be better for seeding if EWU loses but we get in ahead of them no matter what. Just look at the resume, they would be the exact same except UND has an FBS win. UND wins they are at worst #4 in the BSC and #3 if Montana loses. IMO UND just needs to win and they will be in. See my previous post for explanation. WIN AND IN!

I'm not seeing it that way.  Yes, we do have a better resume but just like the weekly polls, the name on the jersey sways people.   Mont st was still in the top 25 poll with a losing record. Will ratelle was not recognized in the pre season,  wow!  We knew how good he was!  

If  e wash wins they're in.... Guaranteed! Hell if they lose they still might be in. Same goes with montana, if they lose they could be in.  They do however have a nice resume.  Und doesn't have the name recognition like their peers do, and like it or not, the committee and people in general use that as a sway tool, period!  And no way big sky gets 5 teams in, maybe 4

Und deserves to be in if they win but when you put it in the committees hands, well......

• Upvote 1

If UND wins I believe we get in.  only 4 from the Big Sky and we will probably be the fourth.  now my guess with regionalization we will probably be matched up UNI.  Can we out bid UNI for a home game.  this might be tough.  at any rate.  daybyday.  loved the confidence of this team yesterday.  It Shows.  They are playoff ready.

So, from the ongoing discussion, our best chances of getting into playoffs occur under the following scenario:

UND wins

PSU beats EWU

MSU beats MU

SUU beats NAU (not sure about this one, correct me if wrong)

Checking the schedule, one could spend all day next Saturday watching things unfold. MSU/MU play noonish/early afternoon. PSU/EWU and SUU/NAU start late afternoon. UND plays Poly at 8 PM Central.

Worst UND can finish if they win is the 4th best resume in the BSC. They will jump the loser of SUU/NAU and will be ahead of EWU no matter what. I realize EWU is a bigger FCS name but even if they win they have the exact same record as UND without an FBS win. IMO UND is ahead of EW no matter what if UND wins.

if Montana also loses UND could get to the 3rd spot in the conference. Either way I do think UND is  in with a win. Across the country UND will jump any 7 win team without an FBS victory. I haven't looked at that but if we have the 3rd or 4th best resume in the sky we will be in, and we will have that with a win. Big Sky will get a minimum of 4 teams in, bank on it.

lets beat poly and then hopefully host a 1st round game.

Dom izzo's brackett on the bison media blog lays out this situation exactly. Win and in folks, let's get in these playoffs and see what happens!!

Is it a fact that the committee views an FBS win as a superior win in every case or do they look at the FBS team and weigh in the quality of win it is?

No smack intended, just curious if the win is automatically viewed as a superior win in the selection criteria or if that is being assumed in this case?

Is it a fact that the committee views an FBS win as a superior win in every case or do they look at the FBS team and weigh in the quality of win it is?

No smack intended, just curious if the win is automatically viewed as a superior win in the selection criteria or if that is being assumed in this case?

i think it is generally considered a positive thing. Though I'm assuming the teams played are in that conversation. So a win against ndsu would have looked more impressive than a win against Wyoming. In our case we have an FBS win while some of the other bubble teams have a D2 win. In that scenario we should get the edge. At this point we just need to beat Cal poly, and wait.

So, from the ongoing discussion, our best chances of getting into playoffs occur under the following scenario:

UND wins

PSU beats EWU

MSU beats MU

SUU beats NAU (not sure about this one, correct me if wrong)

Checking the schedule, one could spend all day next Saturday watching things unfold. MSU/MU play noonish/early afternoon. PSU/EWU and SUU/NAU start late afternoon. UND plays Poly at 8 PM Central.

How long has it been since Montana, Montana State and Eastern Washington were all out of the playoffs?  Maybe the sun comes up in the west that morning.

• Upvote 1

i think it is generally considered a positive thing. Though I'm assuming the teams played are in that conversation. So a win against ndsu would have looked more impressive than a win against Wyoming. In our case we have an FBS win while some of the other bubble teams have a D2 win. In that scenario we should get the edge. At this point we just need to beat Cal poly, and wait.

I would consider it a positive on UND's resume as well. Just disnt know if the committee would view it the same way.

I would consider it a positive on UND's resume as well. Just disnt know if the committee would view it the same way.

Well, prior to the Wyoming game the conventional wisdom was that the Cowboys would mop the floor with us. So in my mind the UND win in Laramie should be meaningful, but my opinion carries exactly zero weight.

BTW, the games of interest next Saturday will be played in Cheney, Cedar City, Bozeman, and, of course, on Cal Poly's home turf.

• Upvote 1

If UND wins then we will have a 7-4 record, same as the loser of the NAU/SUU game. Both SUU and NAU have as one of their wins a sub-FCS opponent. So my speculation is that UND would then jump ahead of the loser of that game.

I'm excited about the fact that UND is in the playoff hunt with one game to play. However, I'm cautiously optimistic bordering on pessimistic that we actually get in the playoffs even with a win over Poly. We'll need some help to get in. A simple win and get in theory I'm afraid is not true. Several of you have figured out the best scenarios to get us in. I'll just wait, watch the game Saturday night (Hopefully I can stream the game) and wait to see what happens. 

• Upvote 1

they will without a doubt. Just look at NDSU when they snuck in that one year b/c they had a win over Kansas. Kansas was one of the worst teams in the country that year. Southern Utah 2 years ago is another example. The beat a middle to bottom sun belt S. Alabama team and that was the reason they got in.

The committees history has shown FBS wins carry a lot of weight no matter how good the FBS team is. UND will jump any team with seven wins that doesn't have an FBS win. Still need to win Sat. so I'm just gonna cut the playoff talk until then but to me it's pretty clear that a UND win gets them in.

check izzo's bracket. He is usually spot on when it comes to this and he says a UND win gets them in as well.

Worst case scenario even if UND wins:

Montana beats MSU

EWU beats PSU

I think if that happens even with a win  next week it leaves us looking in from the outside of the playoff picture. Couple that with a NAU win and our playoff hopes are really dim. 

Edited by bang

And SUU wins. They are in.

Portland is already in.

Montana Wins. They are in.

EWU wins, they are in.

UND wins. Could easily be sitting home.

7DI wins don't guarantee anything.

I agree.  The point I was making on my post was we don't need Montana to lose this week, we just need PSU to beat EWU, which to me seems like a pretty good chance they would, but you just never know. If PSU wins and we win, we are at worst the 4th team in the Big Sky and I would think would have a very good shot at the playoffs.    Still sucks thinking of what could have been if we would have held on for just one of those games against Weber or ISU.

OK, since I have not had much reason to pay attention for a few years, what can be expected for viewing options for the first round of the fcs playoffs? ESPN3 webcast? ESPN(2)?

Can we assume all games will be broadcast in some form?