Nodak78

One week left and a mass confusion exists with the big sky

port st 7 d1 wins/  @ e wash

e wash 6 d1 wins/   port st

s Utah 6 d1 wins/   n. zona

mont 6 d1 wins/    @mont st

n zona 6 d1wins/    @s Utah 

und 6 d1 wins/   @ cal poly

Port st needs to beat e wash.  Port st in, e wash out.  6 d1 wins and with maybe one of those is considered a  decent win for e wash.  Weak 

mont st needs to beat mont.  I think?  Mont should not get in with 6 wins but they have a nice pedigree so who knows? 

n zona should and needs to beat S Utah.  S Utah has a very weak schedule this yr andwas crushed by sdsu.   6 d1 wins also.  

Und beats cal poly !!

I then see port st 8 d1 wins and a seed, n zona 7 d1 wins should be in and they have gelled and are playing great ball right now and und 7 d1 wins, shouldbe one of the last teams in? With montana being a very long shot with 6 d1 wins but nice wins against ndsu, n Zona , und and e wash.  

2 big sky teams for sure with maybe 3 and 4 teams potentially in the post season 

One week left and a mass confusion exists with the big sky

port st 7 d1 wins/  @ e wash

e wash 6 d1 wins/   port st

s Utah 6 d1 wins/   n. zona

mont 6 d1 wins/    @mont st

n zona 6 d1wins/    @s Utah 

und 6 d1 wins/   @ cal poly

Port st needs to beat e wash.  Port st in, e wash out.  6 d1 wins and with maybe one of those is considered a  decent win for e wash.  Weak 

mont st needs to beat mont.  I think?  Mont should not get in with 6 wins but they have a nice pedigree so who knows? 

n zona should and needs to beat S Utah.  S Utah has a very weak schedule this yr andwas crushed by sdsu.   6 d1 wins also.  

Und beats cal poly !!

I then see port st 8 d1 wins and a seed, n zona 7 d1 wins should be in and they have gelled and are playing great ball right now and und 7 d1 wins, shouldbe one of the last teams in? With montana being a very long shot with 6 d1 wins but nice wins against ndsu, n Zona , und and e wash.  

2 big sky teams for sure with maybe 3 and 4 teams potentially in the post season 

it will be an interesting week.  For sure the loser between SUI and NAU is done. 

I'm getting a headache just thinking about the possibilities.  And I haven't even started thinking about how many 6 d1 win teams are out there from all the other conferences at the moment...and how their win/lose scenarios could affect how many teams the big sky gets in.....

at least we saw a great game today, and a dominating win....that may help, if we follow up and do the same next weekend.     

Very much like a win at Poly, but wins on the road don't come easy.  The match up looks favorable, but not holding my breath for a playoff berth.  The team has already exceeded my expectations for them.  Things appear brighter on the horizon.  That Wyoming win will be very favorable to the playoff committee if UND  ages it to seven.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lock for the playoffs:

PSU is in with 7 wins right now.

Winner of SUU/NAU will have 7 wins - loser is out.

Others:

EWU has to beat PSU next for 7 wins - they win they are in.

Montana has to beat MSU next week for 7 wins - they win they are in.

UND has to beat Poly next week for 7 wins - they win and they are in.

The Big Sky can have 2 or as many as 5 teams in..

Lock for the playoffs:

Others:

i don't see EWU and UND both bbeing a lock if they get to seven wins.  If Montana gets to 7, they.could be the third team in.  The big sky probably isn't getting 5 teams in even of they have 5 at 7 wins.  In fact, I think e. Wash. might be out already with at most one quality win at Portland state, which is unlikely.

The NAU/SUU winner does not have an impressive resume, so the winner is not guaranteed anything.

that is true but I don't know if a 5th place team in the conference gets in. Our best bet, assuming we win is Montana and EWU losing.  Both are realistic. 

that is true but I don't know if a 5th place team in the conference gets in. Our best bet, assuming we win is Montana and EWU losing.  Both are realistic. 

agree.  This puts us in the top 3.  If e. Wash. wins, I still don't know that they look any stronger than we do.  We both beat Portland state, get blown out by Montana, and didn't beat any other ranked teams.  We have an FBS win and they don't.

i don't see EWU and UND both bbeing a lock if they get to seven wins.  If Montana gets to 7, they.could be the third team in.  The big sky probably isn't getting 5 teams in even of they have 5 at 7 wins.  In fact, I think e. Wash. might be out already with at most one quality win at Portland state, which is unlikely.

Think the Big Sky can get four in.  Five is very iffy and depends on how many other teams get 7 DI wins.

looking at all conferences there's about 19 teams with 7 or more wins right now.   and about 12 teams with 6 wins going into the last weekend. 

so......whatever that means....probably nothing as I have no idea if there's any D2 wins for those teams.  :blink:   

as someone mentioned earlier our ranking stinks so I think we need a lot of help.

The best is if e wash loses to port st for 2 reasons.   All wins for port st looks better for und because und beat them and e wash would only have 6 wins.   No way 5 big sky teams get in!    Mont need to lose mont st to keep them to 6 wins.     Port st is a lock, the s Utah n zona winner will have 7 wins and they're in.   Makes our chances a little better if we win and reach 7 wins

looking at all conferences there's about 19 teams with 7 or more wins right now.   and about 12 teams with 6 wins going into the last weekend. 

so......whatever that means....probably nothing as I have no idea if there's any D2 wins for those teams.  :blink:   

as someone mentioned earlier our ranking stinks so I think we need a lot of help.

I did a quick count of those rankings and 14 teams ranked ahead of UND can only finish with 6 D1 wins.  Those are the ones I know without digging too deep.  Plus Cal Poly will likely be ranked ahead of us next week.  Just win. 

Lock for the playoffs:

Others:

I must be missing something here, but even if Montana wins.....wouldn't we still be the 4th team in the Big Sky and have a good shot at making it?

1. PSU (after beating EWU)

2. Winner of SUU/NAU  - loser of that game is out

3. Montana (if beat MSU)

4. UND (if beat Cal Poly)

So if the above happens it would seem we'd only need 4 teams from the Big Sky to get in, but maybe I'm missing something?

So say if Southern Utah loses but they are still 7-4 overall just like UND (if UND wins).

But the worst SUU can finish is second (tied) in the Big Sky Conference.

UND wins and they could be fifth(?).

Does the commitee swap SUU and UND just because UND beat a FBS while SUU beat a Division 2? (Yet SUU was clearly the better team than UND playing the same teams within the conference.)

I must be missing something here, but even if Montana wins.....wouldn't we still be the 4th team in the Big Sky and have a good shot at making it?

1. PSU (after beating EWU)

2. Winner of SUU/NAU  - loser of that game is out

3. Montana (if beat MSU)

4. UND (if beat Cal Poly)

So if the above happens it would seem we'd only need 4 teams from the Big Sky to get in, but maybe I'm missing something?

PSU is in already with 7 wins...  if EWU beat PSU - they would be in also

Again, in really I see the following:

PSU win, NAU win, Montana win and UND win.... 4 teams from the Big Sky.  SUU/EWU miss the playoffs.

So say if Southern Utah loses but they are still 7-4 overall just like UND (if UND wins).

But the worst SUU can finish is second (tied) in the Big Sky Conference.

UND wins and they could be fifth(?).

Does the commitee swap SUU and UND just because UND beat a FBS while SUU beat a Division 2? (Yet SUU was clearly the better team than UND playing the same teams within the conference.)

UND would go over SUU - look at SUU wins:  UNC, Weber, Sac, Davis, Poly, MSU.

UND would have Wyoming, Drake, Davis, PSU, MSU, UNC, and Poly...

UND would get in because of the win over Wyoming...  SUU currently does not have a win against a team over .500

Edited by FSSD

PSU is in already with 7 wins...  if EWU beat PSU - they would be in also

Again, in really I see the following:

PSU win, NAU win, Montana win and UND win.... 4 teams from the Big Sky.  SUU/EWU miss the playoffs.

And SUU wins. They are in.

Portland is already in.

Montana Wins. They are in.

EWU wins, they are in.

UND wins. Could easily be sitting home.

7DI wins don't guarantee anything.

UND would go over SUU - look at SUU wins:  UNC, Weber, Sac, Davis, Poly, MSU.

UND would have Wyoming, Drake, Davis, PSU, MSU, UNC, and Poly...

UND would get in because of the win over Wyoming...  SUU currently does not have a win against a team over .500

But also look at losses.

SUU would only have two conference losses. UND would have three conference losses.

SUU with only two losses to top conference teams (Portland & Northern AZ).

UND three conferences lost with one being bottom dweller Idaho State (currently 1-6 with their lone win being against UND).

It's something how 2 years ago we were frustrated with 3 win seasons and firing coaches, now we are talking playoffs with a coach who has been with the team almost 2 full seasons and we have a running offense and defense towards the top of the FCS. This is what this program has been missing since 2007, and it's a relief that these type of threads and posts are back.  Good times are starting to flow again.

• Upvote 3