SiouxSports.com Forum

GO WILD

Fetch

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

Wild just fired their GM.  Looks like the Wild are going to be blown up and the rebuild process will start.

Would guess the new GM won't have the convenience of a long rebuild process.  If they have two guys like Parise and Suter for the long haul because of contracts, they will most likely be trying to figure out a way to change personnel around them to keep getting to the post season and finding the kind of supplemental players to get past the first round or two.  Easier said than done. 

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yes.  Make this happen!!  Bout time Fletcher got canned.  LOOOOOOOOOONG overdue.

I don’t see how there is any way to keep Parise and Suter through the nd of those deals, I also don’t see how they can move them.

The future for the wild may be doomed by those deals.

13 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I don’t see how there is any way to keep Parise and Suter through the nd of those deals, I also don’t see how they can move them.

He'll be know for those bad contracts.

I think they both have "no movement/trade"

It has to be a rebuild, even if Parise doesnt get hurt and Suter doesn't get hurt,  they just didnt match up to Winnipegs skill and physicality.

They simply are not going to move on from the 1st round without more talent up front and on the blue line.

Koivu and Stall just arent good enough, they protected the wrong people in the expansion IMHO. 

Too many vets that dont pull their weight every night.

• Upvote 2

On 4/23/2018 at 7:45 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Wow!   What a difference a few years make...when they signed Parise and Suter years ago it was supposed to be the missing pieces to become a serious Cup contender.  Now the perception is that they (their contracts) will be the reason the Mild cannot make  the necessary deals to actually win a first round series.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It has to be a rebuild, even if Parise doesnt get hurt and Suter doesn't get hurt,  they just didnt match up to Winnipegs skill and physicality.

They simply are not going to move on from the 1st round without more talent up front and on the blue line.

Koivu and Stall just arent good enough, they protected the wrong people in the expansion IMHO. 

Didn't Staal tie a franchise record for goals in a season?

• Upvote 2

On 4/23/2018 at 10:19 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Moving forward I somewhat agree with you, however they were missing one of the leagues best defensemen for the entire series, missing Parise (who was white hot), and spurgeon had missed a ton of time prior to coming back game one of the playoffs.  The odds were stacked heavily against them.  WPG is legit.  Also, it’s Staal not stall....guy scored 42 goals this year you should know how to spell his name :). Staal had to be one of the cheapest guys in the league last year. Phenomenal signing.

7 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

How about this for a core: 

Granlund: 39 playoff games, 8 goals
Zucker: 31 games, 4 goals
Coyle: 44 games, 7 goals
Nino: 39 games, 8 goals 
Koivu (since 2013): 43 games, 7 goals

not a lot of goals there... I wonder how that group's goals per game in the playoffs compares to the regular season...

19 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

not a lot of goals there... I wonder how that group's goals per game in the playoffs compares to the regular season...

Granlund .21 vs. .20

Zucker .13 vs. .29

Coyle .16 vs. .19

Nino .21 vs. .23

Koivu .16 vs. .19

Suter is a top 5 defensemen in the league right now, and Parise is arguably the best player on our team when he is healthy.  Those guys and their contracts aren't the problem.  Trading away pics, many times first rounders, for players at the trade deadline that don't pan out and move on at the end of the year is our problem.  Drafting players that don't fit the system of playing in the physical Western Conference that aren't build to win in the playoffs is the problem.  Signing bad deals to average players is the problem.  And the root of that problem was Chuck Fletcher.  Wild need a rebuild.  I think most Wild fans would take 2-3 years of missing the playoffs to eventually have a team that can contend for the Cup year in and year out as opposed to a team that is just good enough to llose 4-1 or 4-2 in the first round of the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Suter is a top 5 defensemen in the league right now, and Parise is arguably the best player on our team when he is healthy.  Those guys and their contracts aren't the problem.  Trading away pics, many times first rounders, for players at the trade deadline that don't pan out and move on at the end of the year is our problem.  Drafting players that don't fit the system of playing in the physical Western Conference that aren't build to win in the playoffs is the problem.  Signing bad deals to average players is the problem.  And the root of that problem was Chuck Fletcher.  Wild need a rebuild.  I think most Wild fans would take 2-3 years of missing the playoffs to eventually have a team that can contend for the Cup year in and year out as opposed to a team that is just good enough to llose 4-1 or 4-2 in the first round of the playoffs.  

Not a ton you can do other than trade current assets.  Parise and Suter might have a few good years left in them, but if they decide to stick it out, the new General Manager is going to have to be very, very creative and not miss on any transactions.  

38 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Burns-Coyle deal still chaps my a$$.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Also, it’s Staal not stall....guy scored 42 goals this year you should know how to spell his name :). Staal had to be one of the cheapest guys in the league last year. Phenomenal signing.

he had a good year. I have fat fingers.

What do you have more faith in, my fingers stayibg fat, or Stahl scoring 42 nezt season?

From Russo at the Athletic:

The Wild aren’t wasting time in their search for a third general manager.

Just two days after owner Craig Leipold informed Chuck Fletcher that he would not be returning for a 10th season, The Athletic has learned that the Wild have not only already received permission from the Nashville Predators to speak with longtime assistant GM Paul Fenton, Leipold and team president Matt Majka are in the midst of holding a daylong interview with him in Minnesota.

According to multiple sources, Fenton arrived late Tuesday and will return to Nashville on Wednesday night. The Predators open their second-round series against the Winnipeg Jets on Friday night.

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

he had a good year. I have fat fingers.

What do you have more faith in, my fingers stayibg fat, or Stahl scoring 42 nezt season?

A good year?  You mean an absolutely fantastic year.  Guy scored 42 and was only paid 3.5.  Highway robbery outside of entry level deals.  Folks can bitch about fletch all they want however he’s drafted well lately and that staal deal was beauty (albeit easy...he wanted to come here).

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Suter is top 5 D in the league?  Maybe in minutes played but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Suter and Parise as players are not the problem... the CONTRACTS are very much a problem and will be for some time yet.

I think the owner is 100% correct. The whole thing just needs new eyes, Its the best reasoning for a management change I've ever heard, its logical and it happened before the wheels fell off the bus so to say.