SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameday Thread

Dustin

My question is why didn't UND take more risk on plays on offense? Stutsrud should have tried to make more plays even if it risked getting picked off. I rather see an offense with 200 yards and 3 picks than 61 yards and no picks. 

Why was our secondary not taking risks. There were no passes that were close to picks. They never let the bison get behind them but they never really defended a pass.

we  didn't leave a lot on the field and that's unfortunate 

Do you think the talent gap was evident?  2nd year staff doesn't have the roster up to snuff... I am amazed.   How is Bohls roster looking in his 2nd year? 

I could care less how Bohl's roster is looking.

I never said it was unexpected for there to be a talent gap.  All I was trying to say is that the Wyoming game meant nothing in determining how bad or good UND was going to be. Wyoming is historically bad. It honestly is shocking how incredibly bad they are. I am not saying that via trying to bash UND. Honestly I am not. All I was trying to say is that Darrell stills thinks that if UND played like they did against Wyoiming , they would beat NDSU. He doesn't understand that the reason UND LOOKED like they did against Wyoming, was due to the fact of Wyoming being incredibly horrible. I am telling you , there was zero chance that UND could have beat NDSU. It honestly looked like high school kids playing against college kids.

NDSU's defense  just held UND to 61 total yards of offense and 3 first downs. Statistically, that is the best performance by an NDSU defense in the D1 era. Do you really think NDSU's defense is that good? I think they are average, at best, and played against an incredibly horrible UND OFFENSE that made them look good.

Edited by 2011BisonAlumni
  • Downvote 1

I never said it was unexpected for there to be a talent gap.  All I was trying to say is that the Wyoming game meant nothing in determining how bad or good UND was going to be. Wyoming is historically bad. It honestly is shocking how incredibly bad they are. I am not saying that via trying to bash UND. Honestly I am not. All I was trying to say is that Darrell stills thinks that if UND played like they did against Wyoiming , they would beat NDSU. He doesn't understand that the reason UND LOOKED like they did against Wyoming, was due to the fact of Wyoming being incredibly horrible.

NDSU's defense  just held UND to 61 total yards of offense and 3 first downs. Statistically, that is the best performance by an NDSU defense in the D1 era. Do you really think NDSU's defense is that good? I think they are average, at best, and played against an incredibly horrible UND OFFENSE that made them look good.

You really care.   Wow.   Thanks for all the info. 

Playing, watching and coaching in this game for 45 yrs. tailgating was impressive.  The fact that virtually everyone of their fans wear yellow is impressive.  Pre game atmosphere at UND tailgating at airport was good and AC fans were welcomed.  AC fans in their area were hospitable.  They have a great thing going pre game.  Game atmosphere is great for them.  Whomever thought playing this at a neutral site would make a difference hasn't a clue.  I'm not sure we had a false start.  The noise made it tough to communicate but everyone should have known what this was going to be like and been prepared. I was surprised that the UND fans were able to generate a bit of noise.  

From the beginning we seemed to be having trouble getting players into position. Offensively we are inept.  That isn't just on Rudolph.  It is the entire offensive staff and the players.   We didn't get anything fixed between Drake and this game and that is concerning.  Our receivers struggled to get open and when they were Studsrud couldn't get them the ball or was sacked.  Defensively we are ok.  We had a couple of missed assignments but overall we were ok.  Short fields, for the AC, a great QB for the AC and our defense on the field all day were factors.

I don't think it is fair to toss Studsrud under the bus.  He was rushed in last year when we had two guys hurt, and he still isn't ready.  Mollberg and Bartels were thrown under the bus last year with poor oline play and poor receiver play.  I'm not sure why we aren't improving the oline play and I agree our backs aren't always making their reads. Our game planning and play calling was unimaginative but it is tough to game plan if your oline can't beat anyone one on one.

Studsrud was like a deer in the headlights.  He is still not ready.  To his credit he corrected the fumbleitis he had last week and didn't throw an interception. He did throw one pass right to the DB but the DB dropped it. If if Bubba is going to stick with him, then he needs to roll him out and give him some run pass options but Studsrud has got to get through his reads and make a decision quicker.  He had no idea yesterday what to do.  You can blame the play calling but if you have the wrong play called then the QB needs to check out of that play.

I realize their are  a lot of  "Madden" experts who quit on Mollberg and Bartels but they both get through their reads faster and Mollberg has a much stronger arm.  He can make all the throws. Bartels given time, is smart and can also make all the throws given protection. Studsrud is quicker than the other two but he isn't anymore athletic.  If he is untouchable as a starter and Bartels and Mollberg are relegated to the bench, this is going to be a long season.  Bubba's philosophy of running the ball is great if you have some semblance of a running game.  Otherwise it is time to adjust and go with what you have.  Don't know if we are good enough to make the switch but I think we go to a spread offense with quick reads and throw the ball no matter who the QB is.  I doubt we get sacked anymore than now and it hopefully gives our RBs some room to make plays.  We sure as hell aren't dominating anyone on the line of scrimmage now. The philosophy of pounding the ball and playing defense only works if you can pound the ball.  We didn't against Drake, we couldn't against the AC.  I hope Bubba and staff can make the adjustments to utilize the strengths we have and minimize our weaknesses.  We should be seeing progress this year.  Next week is huge not only for the conference and the season but for this program moving forward.

• Upvote 2

Do you think the talent gap was evident?  2nd year staff doesn't have the roster up to snuff... I am amazed.   How is Bohls roster looking in his 2nd year? 

Obviously, what was inherited was quite different. But, I think it's fair to bring up that NDSU's staff is in their second year together also.

• Upvote 1

Remember when your buddies caught you making out with your sister? Run back to inbredville. Your comments aren't related to this thread and your Aunt/mom made some Mac and cheese. So, run up to the front of your trailer eat your Mac and cheese and make sure your not late for your shift at Taco Bell this afternoon. 

Oh my. The old trailer, your mom, and sister jokes. Yawn.

I never said it was unexpected for there to be a talent gap.  All I was trying to say is that the Wyoming game meant nothing in determining how bad or good UND was going to be. Wyoming is historically bad. It honestly is shocking how incredibly bad they are. I am not saying that via trying to bash UND. Honestly I am not. All I was trying to say is that Darrell stills thinks that if UND played like they did against Wyoiming , they would beat NDSU. He doesn't understand that the reason UND LOOKED like they did against Wyoming, was due to the fact of Wyoming being incredibly horrible. I am telling you , there was zero chance that UND could have beat NDSU. It honestly looked like high school kids playing against college kids.

Fair points.  I can't argue with any of them. 

I guess I don't know what you should call when you line isn't blocking well in the run game.  Your QB either takes a sack when he drops back or throws very inaccurate passes (incomplete).  Two of the RB's were not hitting the hole that was blocked.  The WR rarely if ever got separation yesterday.  The offense needs to improve dramatically everywhere and after the first 2 drives yesterday I probably wouldn't have called another pass play because it was either a sack with OL, QB, and the coordinator responsible or a wild pass that had no chance to be complete.  The only play yesterday that looks pretty consistent was the toss play that I would need to go back and take a look but I think was zone blocked.  Almost every time is was blocked for 2 to 5 yards for any RB that would get up field quickly.  Oliveira was the best RB yesterday and has a lot of improvements to make but he always gets a yard or two once contact is made past the LOS. 

Maybe call some screen plays if the line isn't blocking?   Maybe a quick hitter to the TE over the middle.  or maybe anything over the middle instead of throwing out routes that they were all over us.  Or maybe getting Stanley lined up against their small corner 1 on 1 and throwing it up and letting him make a play.  Seems like I recall the write up saying you need to beat the Tampa 2 over the middle, to me it seemed like all we threw were passes to the outside.  I do realize it's pretty hard when you aren't blocking anybody, to call plays....I get that.   Now maybe some of those plays were called and I missed it.  I went to the bathroom when we punted and recovered the ball, and then it sounds like we had a pass play over the middle to get us down to the goal line, I missed the recovery and that pass.  But from what it sounds like, that was the exact type of pass I had been yelling for up to that point and after that point.  I know it's easy to be an armchair QB, but you really can't argue I would have called a worse game.

• Upvote 1

I was at the IW game. This game was fare worse. The Bison defense last year, before the Beck injury , was special. Not on the level of the 2013 Bison, but still phenomenal . This year's NDSU defense is somewhere between the 2010 and 2011 defenses. Definitely not special . UND made them look like the 1985 Bears yesterday. This game easily could have been 52-0 type of game.

On the flip side, I really am sick of hearing about that vaunted UND defense . They were completely torn to shreds. Sure, UND only gave up 125 rushing yards, or whatever it ended up being, but they had 9 guys in the box, shooting the gaps the entire freaking game. I honestly have never seen anything like that. Playing like that is going to stop the run, but they are going to get absolutely touched against any team with an average QB.

And I am really sick of having you Bison trolls on here running your mouths after winning a game you were supposed to win. I am really surprised that fans of a team that is working on their fifth consecutive FCS title feels the need to come on here and complain about what our fans say on our discussion forum. Perhaps you got this forum mixed up with Bisonville?

And your HC whining in the paper this morning about how he got sick of hearing about UND's defense, which is way better than what it was two years ago, during the week leading up to the game was real low-class. So the media doesn't talk about the Bison 24/7/365 and totally ignore the team they are playing? Get over it! Is he going to do that during the MVFC season too ("I am really sick of hearing about what Northern Iowa brings to the table")? I certainly hope not.

Bubba obviously inherited an apocalyptic mess and is doing what he can to clean it up. And it's going to take more than one recruiting class, some Mussman leftovers and some transfers sprinkled in to do that. But when (not if, but when) we get our program up to the level where we are competing for FCS titles, I would hope that our fan base, media and coaches won't behave like the world revolves around us and nothing and nobody else matters.

Just another reason why I will never cheer for NDSU under the guise of supporting the State of North Dakota. Never.

• Upvote 2

Maybe call some screen plays if the line isn't blocking?   Maybe a quick hitter to the TE over the middle.  or maybe anything over the middle instead of throwing out routes that they were all over us.  Or maybe getting Stanley lined up against their small corner 1 on 1 and throwing it up and letting him make a play.  Seems like I recall the write up saying you need to beat the Tampa 2 over the middle, to me it seemed like all we threw were passes to the outside.  I do realize it's pretty hard when you aren't blocking anybody, to call plays....I get that.   Now maybe some of those plays were called and I missed it.  I went to the bathroom when we punted and recovered the ball, and then it sounds like we had a pass play over the middle to get us down to the goal line, I missed the recovery and that pass.  But from what it sounds like, that was the exact type of pass I had been yelling for up to that point and after that point.  I know it's easy to be an armchair QB, but you really can't argue I would have called a worse game.

I think the coaching staff understands that changes need to be made on offense and they will probably do some experimenting this week in practice. Bubba knows that we won't win games against anyone putting up less than 100 yards of offense per game.

And to those beating their chests about supporting this team and calling out "fair weather fans"...........stop. This product called UND FB is so painful to watch in its current state, and for the last 8+ years, that if someone has something else that is at a minimum as important as supporting UND FB why wouldn't you pass on driving miles to GF to continue to watch this. Irish has seen more UND FB than me and to say in 40+ year this offense has produced the worst halves of FB he has seen say something.........say a lot. Bubba needs to grab the rest of this season by the nuts before it is completely lost and IMO that start with the play calling.  

It's only 6:45 am and I'm popping Lisinopril like Pez I'm so worked up typing this and I still have almost 11 hours til GB/SEA kick off............

With all due respect, you are wrong. And I wasn't talking about people driving in from 100 miles away, I was talking about people in the Grand Forks area who probably will forget we have a program until the team is playoff-caliber. I don't like that attitude, whether the sport is football or hockey or whatever. How does it look to recruits if we have 3,000 to 4,000 people per game in a stadium that seats over 10,000? That is my big concern. I am a season-ticket holder and unless I am sick or there is some sort of family emergency that comes up, I will be there for every home game, win or lose.

• Upvote 2

Go back and watch the play where the UND safety got hurt. You can just catch the NDSU player as he dove at back of the leg just below the knee. That's why the foot was at a 45 degree angle from where it should be.  Complete punk a** play. If Kleiman had a pair he would sit the D Bag for a minimum of 2 games. 

• Upvote 1

My question is why didn't UND take more risk on plays on offense? Stutsrud should have tried to make more plays even if it risked getting picked off. I rather see an offense with 200 yards and 3 picks than 61 yards and no picks. 

Why was our secondary not taking risks. There were no passes that were close to picks. They never let the bison get behind them but they never really defended a pass.

we  didn't leave a lot on the field and that's unfortunate 

We actually had a ball hit Johnson in the hands so the quote "there were no passes close to picks" isn't what I would call accurate.

I know Bubba is still kind of golden here - he has a strong Sioux history, people are fired up for "Bubba Ball" and he's not Muss.  However, some of this fiasco needs to be on the coaches.  The offense is worse than last year, we have the same QB problems, and we are remarkably unimaginative.  As for Bubba Ball, I was hoping that a hallmark of this would be getting after the other team regardless of talent or game situation.  Well, the front defensive 7 give the illusion that we as a team are playing strong, physical football.  They are, but the rest of the team ain't getting after anyone.  D backs were soft in coverage and certainly are not ball hawks.  Our offense - well if you saw this game and last you know.  Not only are the players getting pushed around, the coaches don't seem to know more than 4-5 plays and are painfully predictable.  I expected a much better effort and frankly better coaching at this stage.  This is painful to watch.  Changes need to be made (not in the coaching staff, but by the coaching staff).  I hope we aren't stubborn to a fault.  On a positive note, The Bison were good hosts and with the exception of Jr. High kids like 2011BisonAlumni (whose idea of a fun Sunday is to come on here and tell us how bad we are in numerous posts) they were fun to mingle with - makes me hope that we can resume this series.  

I know Bubba is still kind of golden here - he has a strong Sioux history, people are fired up for "Bubba Ball" and he's not Muss.  However, some of this fiasco needs to be on the coaches.  The offense is worse than last year, we have the same QB problems, and we are remarkably unimaginative.  As for Bubba Ball, I was hoping that a hallmark of this would be getting after the other team regardless of talent or game situation.  Well, the front defensive 7 give the illusion that we as a team are playing strong, physical football.  They are, but the rest of the team ain't getting after anyone.  D backs were soft in coverage and certainly are not ball hawks.  Our offense - well if you saw this game and last you know.  Not only are the players getting pushed around, the coaches don't seem to know more than 4-5 plays and are painfully predictable.  I expected a much better effort and frankly better coaching at this stage.  This is painful to watch.  Changes need to be made (not in the coaching staff, but by the coaching staff).  I hope we aren't stubborn to a fault.  On a positive note, The Bison were good hosts and with the exception of Jr. High kids like 2011BisonAlumni (whose idea of a fun Sunday is to come on here and tell us how bad we are in numerous posts) they were fun to mingle with - makes me hope that we can resume this series.  

Bubba has exactly one recruiting class to work with. One. And I don't count the class he put together right after he was hired; there isn't much left by that point in the recruiting season. The cupboard was more than bare when he took over, the cupboard itself needed rebuilding. And most of the defections after Mussman was fired were on offense. So this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't think a judgment on Bubba's regime can be made for another two years. It will take that long for him to have enough of his guys in place; which is when we will be able to determine if he is doing it right or not.

• Upvote 1

I read an article yesterday about a guy from Texas who made the trip to Fargo with his son. Mentioned that they were both wearing hockey gear.

Serious question. Do you think UND fans wear hockey jerseys to football games because that is the only apparel they own ? If that is the case, someone needs to start handing out UND Football shirts to incoming freshmen and those attending games at the Alerus Center. 

I know UND fans that wear hockey jerseys because its the only college program in North Dakota history to win a real Division 1 championship, and UND hockey has done it 7 times.  You might think your cow college football team has won a Division 1 title, but in reality, there's over 120 real division 1 programs contending for the real division 1 title.  NDSU's small time college football success should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as UND's real division 1 success in hockey.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I know UND fans that wear hockey jerseys because its the only college program in North Dakota history to win a real Division 1 championship, and UND hockey has done it 7 times.  You might think your cow college football team has won a Division 1 title, but in reality, there's over 120 real division 1 programs contending for the real division 1 title.  NDSU's small time college football success should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as UND's real division 1 success in hockey.

Until we move up to FBS before NDSU does (for the record, I don't think either school should do that), I don't think you should use that line of thinking. NDSU is where we want our program to be at some point. Belittling FCS football is not classy or a particularly effective argument. Don't stoop to their level please.

Go back and watch the play where the UND safety got hurt. You can just catch the NDSU player as he dove at back of the leg just below the knee. That's why the foot was at a 45 degree angle from where it should be.  Complete punk a** play. If Kleiman had a pair he would sit the D Bag for a minimum of 2 games. 

That sounds bad,  as in cheap bad.  

I thought UND was going to be the one's "targeting" Wentz ankle,  right CAS?   What say you Bison fans? 

Until we move up to FBS before NDSU does (for the record, I don't think either school should do that), I don't think you should use that line of thinking. NDSU is where we want our program to be at some point. Belittling FCS football is not classy or a particularly effective argument. Don't stoop to their level please.

Thanks for the negative vote, but I do hope that UND has success in FCS.  But FCS football is not all that impressive.  It's the honest truth.

• Downvote 4

That mentality right there is why UND will never have a consistent winning FCS football program. 

Thanks for the negative vote, but I do hope that UND has success in FCS.  But FCS football is not all that impressive.  It's the honest truth.

So should people across the country quit watching high school football, DII football......and quit caring about all football what so ever except for FBS and NFL?  There is good football played on most all levels.  I think we do get your point that FCS is not FBS......and our hockey is at the top collegiate level.   I think it's ok to care about FCS football.....but yes it needs to be kept in perspective.

• Upvote 2

I posted the same thing yesterday right after it happened but was watching on line and couldn't watch it again to be sure. The fool announcers made an excuse for the SU player and said his momentum took him into Arnell and he couldn't stop.  That looked like BS to me.   Any thoughts on a hit with intent to injure?  CAS?

So should people across the country quit watching high school football, DII football......and quit caring about all football what so ever except for FBS and NFL?  There is good football played on most all levels.  I think we do get your point that FCS is not FBS......and our hockey is at the top collegiate level.   I think it's ok to care about FCS football.....but yes it needs to be kept in perspective.

What people watch is their own prerogative.  I also care about FCS football, which is lower level football.  NDSU's lower level football success is not comparable to UND's division 1 hockey success.  That is all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1