SiouxSports.com Forum

The Actual Voting Process Announced

The Sicatoka

I still cannot understand why some conceptual logos are not being presented along with the nicknames.  Depending on what kind of logo was produced, that could sway votes.

To be honest, I am glad that there aren't any conceptual designs.  Just imagine UND coming up with logo designs for a name and then changing it completely when the final version is released!!  Keep the process simple.  Vot on a name right now.  Once it is decided, a logo will be made. 

Well, I got my handy-dandy voting reminder card the other day, to go with my handy-dandy eligibility email.  So let's get this done.

Ah, yes, but have verified your email address against the voting database?  It appears that unless you have one of the .edu addresses that you have to do this according to the link on page 5 of this thread...  I checked it out, and it found me and verified my information.  I can just see this being the next stupid technicality.

Over time logos change is probably part of the reasoning. 

Good point

To be honest, I am glad that there aren't any conceptual designs.  Just imagine UND coming up with logo designs for a name and then changing it completely when the final version is released!!  Keep the process simple.  Vot on a name right now.  Once it is decided, a logo will be made. 

Your right, that would be a train wreck behind this already train wreck of a process!

I hope you're right.  I'm really nervous about Sundogs.  I've spoken with way too many people who haven't closely followed the entire nickname saga who believe it's an acceptable option.

I haven't followed the saga, and initially I hated the idea of Sundogs... laughed at it. Now I'm sort of coming around to it. A lot could be done with a husky-like dog mascot. Green might not work as a color, but the imagery of snow and ice and blue and grey colors with a fierce dog could be pretty cool. I'm sure I'll get ripped for it, but I think it's better than Fighting Hawks, which feels forced and short on creativity.

• Downvote 2

I haven't followed the saga, and initially I hated the idea of Sundogs... laughed at it. Now I'm sort of coming around to it. A lot could be done with a husky-like dog mascot. Green might not work as a color, but the imagery of snow and ice and blue and grey colors with a fierce dog could be pretty cool. I'm sure I'll get ripped for it, but I think it's better than Fighting Hawks, which feels forced and short on creativity.

I think the image most people have of Sundogs is the weather phenomenon and that is why it is not popular on here. A husky-like dog mascot would be much different, but the PC crowd might want to use the weather phenomenon so that it doesn't "offend" somebody.

• Upvote 1

I think the image most people have of Sundogs is the weather phenomenon and that is why it is not popular on here. A husky-like dog mascot would be much different, but the PC crowd might want to use the weather phenomenon so that it doesn't "offend" somebody.

I don't care what the logo is for Sundogs, I just don't want BRIDGES to win..... again.

• Upvote 1

Sundogs was the choice of B.R.I.D.G.E.S. the UND student group that pushed for UND to retire the Fighting Sioux nickname.

BRIDGES, a student organization at the University of North Dakota, is committed to fighting racism and the systems which make it possible. Formed in 1992 under the name Students Organized Against Racism (SOAR) to educate about  one of these systems the prior UND sports team name of the "Fighting Sioux." In 1996, SOAR became Building Roads Into Diverse Groups Empowering Students (BRIDGES). BRIDGES continues their work toward progessive change fighting intolerance on the university campus and within Grand Forks community in whatever form it may occur through events aimed at multicultural awareness and appreciation.

Advisor:

Lucy Ganje

Edited by Goon

I don't have the history that many of you do, but most of UND's fans and certainly the future students and fans don't have that history, either. I'm just looking at the current choices on their own merits. Roughriders is okay, but has baggage. Fighting Hawks is a nod to the Fighting Sioux, but isn't distinctive at all. Sundogs would be unique and have lots of visual possibilities. I'm not saying I love it, just that I no longer hate it.

Terrible idea Mr. Kelly...100% backwards marketing plan

I don't have the history that many of you do, but most of UND's fans and certainly the future students and fans don't have that history, either. I'm just looking at the current choices on their own merits. Roughriders is okay, but has baggage. Fighting Hawks is a nod to the Fighting Sioux, but isn't distinctive at all. Sundogs would be unique and have lots of visual possibilities. I'm not saying I love it, just that I no longer hate it.

In my opinion Sundogs is absolutely terrible. IF you throw out the history of who suggested it and why, IF you throw out the fact that it is a weather phenomena (that few people even know of), IF you throw out the fact that we would end up with some stupid, unrelated dog logo like 75% or all mascots everywhere... It would still be terrible.

If we wanted to be a dog, why not just pick that? Because it is boring and unoriginal.

• Upvote 4

In my opinion Sundogs is absolutely terrible. IF you throw out the history of who suggested it and why, IF you throw out the fact that it is a weather phenomena (that few people even know of), IF you throw out the fact that we would end up with some stupid, unrelated dog logo like 75% or all mascots everywhere... It would still be terrible.

If we wanted to be a dog, why not just pick that? Because it is boring and unoriginal.

Bring your dog to the game day at the Alerus. Play one of those high pitched whistles that annoy dogs on opponent's third down, and you've just created the greatest home field advantage in FCS.

Edited by ericpnelson

Ah, yes, but have verified your email address against the voting database?  It appears that unless you have one of the .edu addresses that you have to do this according to the link on page 5 of this thread...  I checked it out, and it found me and verified my information.  I can just see this being the next stupid technicality.

According to the email it already has me registered based on the email address they have on file.  I should still have an und.edu email address I used for Facebook years ago, but I have it forward any messages to my Gmail account. Be damned if I could recall the UND email address, let alone the password ... ;)

Edited by ScottM

According to the email it already has me registered based on the email address they have on file. 

Alumni (see: ScottM, me, et al) will use their "on file" email address with the UND Alumni Association. That's how they got that email to ScottM in the first place. 

No No NO!  Please.   The only thing more pervasive in sports mascots than hawks are dogs of some kind.   Please, no.   I'd actually prefer a logo built on the weather phenomenon (don't get me wrong, Sundogs is my least favorite of the 5 options, but I do think a cool logo could be built from it).

Edited by dagies
  • Upvote 2

No No NO!  Please.   The only thing more pervasive in sports mascots than hawks are dogs of some kind.   Please, no.   I'd actually prefer a logo built on the weather phenomenon (don't get be wrong, Sundogs is my least favorite of the 5 options, but I do think a cool logo could be built from it).

I guess that's why I'm in sales and not marketing! And again - all I said is that I didn't hate it any more and that there are possibilities from a branding/logo/mascot angle.

i just looked up Sundogs in the Urban Dictionary....I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you....ummmm, yeah. 

Edited by Blackheart
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess that's why I'm in sales and not marketing! And again - all I said is that I didn't hate it any more and that there are possibilities from a branding/logo/mascot angle.

Hey, you're entitled to like it (or even not hate it).  I just hate the idea!

Edited by dagies