SiouxSports.com Forum

The Actual Voting Process Announced

The Sicatoka

I am satisfied with the voting process.  Lots of mistakes were made in the process, but at least they got the voting process right.  The big thing was eliminating the right to vote to any North Dakota citizen.  That would have been a disaster.  I think the list of voters eligible is exactly correct.  I also like the second-round voting with the top-two vote-getters.  That will insure that a nickname can't be chosen with a small plurality of the vote.  

As for the no-nickname not being an option, that was entirely foreseeable.  I never thought Kelley would allow that.  I just wish he had scrapped it from the very beginning of the process.  In any event, I'm ready to move on.  I just pray that Sundogs does not somehow win the voting process.  I'm voting for Roughriders.

IMO the worst part of this whole process was not managing the "no nickname" thing better.     I'm guessing Kelley thought it would just go away as the process played out but it really didn't.   But he should have had the balls to just pull the trigger from the get go and eliminate any chance that it turned into a cause.  Bad mistake.

At first I was all happy because I'd get to vote three times: 

UND Alumni
UND Donors (including Champions Club members) (one vote per account)
Current season ticket holders to UND athletic events (one vote per account)

But then I got to: 

Eligible voters who fall into more than one of the above categories — such as a staff member who is also an alumnus — may only vote once, and any identified multiple votes will be voided. 

http://und.edu/features/2015/08/nickname-process.cfm

If any of the proposed nicknames receives a majority of more than 50 percent of the votes, that name will be determined to be the new nickname for the University of North Dakota.

In the event that no single nickname receives more than 50 percent of the vote, a runoff vote will be held between the two top vote-getters shortly after the initial vote.

So they basically went with my idea of requiring a majority vote and having a run-off if nothing gets a majority. Nice! :)

I will be voting Roughriders. 

Decisions, decisions.  I'm on the "Anything but Sundogs" side, so now it becomes a question of voting for my favorite, or voting where I think the most support lies, just to make sure it's not Sundogs.  If we somehow got into a 20.5%, 20.5%, 20.0%, 20.0%, 19.0% split, and those two 20.5% were Sundogs and Nodaks...  Just the idea sends shivers down my spine! ;)

Edited by siouxforcefans

Decisions, decisions.  I'm on the "Anything but Sundogs" side, so now it becomes a question of voting for my favorite, or voting where I think the most support lies, just to make sure it's not Sundogs.  If we somehow got into a 20.5%, 20.5%, 20.0%, 20.0%, 19.0% split, and those two 20.5% were Sundogs and Nodaks...  Just the idea sends shivers down my spine! ;)

That is the nightmare scenario in all this. I think Roughriders will make the final two and will win the run-off. It might even get a majority in the first round of voting.

The sh1at show continues at UND!  I can't wait until Kelley is gone.  Talk about pulling off the bandaid as slow as possible for the people who wanted to stay just North Dakota.  I have know idea what to vote for at this point.  Here is my perspective on the options I have.

Roughriders - A forum favorite by those that wanted a new nickname for the sake of having a new nickname at all costs.  I don't like it because it already exists in Grand Forks.  Unique?  Nope.  Not to mention the CFL football team and the prophylactic brand!

North Stars - Not embrassed here because of the use by the state of Minnesota.  Ironically the Roughrider supporters haven no problem with the double standard with the use of Roughriders.  Unique?  More so then Roughriders as there really isn't any local or regional ties to the North Star name as it relates to a sports team.

Green Hawks - A great use of a marketing consultant to come up with this one.  What did Miami (OH) do?  What are the school colors?  Red, Ok we're the Red Hawks.  UND.  What are the school colors?  Green, Ok we're the Green Hawks. Maybe if the Bison name gets booted because it has been deemed a sacred symbol to NA's they could become the Yellow Hawks?  Unique? Maybe.  Original, you can't be any more unoriginal.

Nodaks - As a native North Dakotan, this is borderline deragatory.  I don't get offended by anyone calling me a Nodak, but I have not and hopefully never will have to idenify myself by this name.  Unique? I guess, except for the electric cooperative that uses the name.

Sundogs - When I first started saying that this was a possibility years ago, and that was one of the reasons I wanted to stay North Dakota people on this board blasted me saying there was no chance this was going to be the nickname.  Fast forward until now and here we are with this laughable name as a finalist.  Unique? Very.  Identifiable to the area? Yep.  Lame as hell?  Undoubtably!

So here are my options.  I sure have the warm fuzzy feeling about a new nickname.  

The sh1at show continues at UND!  I can't wait until Kelley is gone.  Talk about pulling off the bandaid as slow as possible for the people who wanted to stay just North Dakota.  I have know idea what to vote for at this point.  Here is my perspective on the options I have.

Roughriders - A forum favorite by those that wanted a new nickname for the sake of having a new nickname at all costs.  I don't like it because it already exists in Grand Forks.  Unique?  Nope.  Not to mention the CFL football team and the prophylactic brand!

North Stars - Not embrassed here because of the use by the state of Minnesota.  Ironically the Roughrider supporters haven no problem with the double standard with the use of Roughriders.  Unique?  More so then Roughriders as there really isn't any local or regional ties to the North Star name as it relates to a sports team.

Green Hawks - A great use of a marketing consultant to come up with this one.  What did Miami (OH) do?  What are the school colors?  Red, Ok we're the Red Hawks.  UND.  What are the school colors?  Green, Ok we're the Green Hawks. Maybe if the Bison name gets booted because it has been deemed a sacred symbol to NA's they could become the Yellow Hawks?  Unique? Maybe.  Original, you can't be any more unoriginal.

Nodaks - As a native North Dakotan, this is borderline deragatory.  I don't get offended by anyone calling me a Nodak, but I have not and hopefully never will have to idenify myself by this name.  Unique? I guess, except for the electric cooperative that uses the name.

Sundogs - When I first started saying that this was a possibility years ago, and that was one of the reasons I wanted to stay North Dakota people on this board blasted me saying there was no chance this was going to be the nickname.  Fast forward until now and here we are with this laughable name as a finalist.  Unique? Very.  Identifiable to the area? Yep.  Lame as hell?  Undoubtably!

So here are my options.  I sure have the warm fuzzy feeling about a new nickname.  

it's Fighting Hawks not Green Hawks

I'm curious how many anti nicknamers will vote Sundogs just because they are throwing a fit. 

Great post!  The way I see it is this name is not a whole lot worse than the others on the list.  What would you have voted for if the finalists would have been narrowed down to North Dakota vs Sundogs?  Who would have been throwing the fit then?

• Upvote 4

At first I was all happy because I'd get to vote three times: 

But then I got to: 

Dude! I could have been able to vote in every category but one. I am a staff member that teaches a class on the side, an alum, season ticket holder, Champions Club member, AND my student email account is still active.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious if UND will see any spike in fundraising due to the voting details.  Keikla has been a UND fan her entire life, posts on this board but was smart enough to earn a scholarship to a D2 school for swimming because they needed to raise their team GPA. ;)

She texted this morning saying she has a certain number of days to donate to UND so she can have a vote in the process.  I could see that working out really well for UND.

Edited by southpaw

I'm curious if UND will see any spike in fundraising due to the voting details.  Keikla has been a UND fan her entire life, posts on this board but was smart enough to earn a scholarship to a D2 school for swimming because they needed to raise their team GPA. ;)

She texted this morning saying she has a certain number of days to donate to UND so she can have a vote in the process.  I could see that working out really well for UND.

Exactly.  For all the things they botched in this process, I think they nailed the voting protocol.  They eliminated the average ND citizen who doesn't have a personal tie to UND (including vindictive NDSU fans).  And when it comes to those of us with fan ties but not academic ties, they get more donations from people that care enough to want a vote.  I'd be surprised if UND doesn't see an uptick in donations in the next 3 days.

• Upvote 2