SiouxSports.com Forum

Wyoming first up

Nodak78

Early prediction: Wyoming 27 UND 24.

I honestly think Bohl is going to have his team prepped pretty well in his second season. They've had some time to weed out the guys who don't buy in and to instill the discipline necessary to run his schemes well. I expect Wyoming to be very much improved and a much better representation of a Bohl coached team.

I expect the score of this game to be closer than the actual game will feel at this point. Maybe like a 27-14 with Wyoming controlling the game from start to finish.

Maybe UND will prove me wrong, but I believe that's how it'll play out at this point.

This game will be the only WYO game not televised by Root or ESPN indicating that most people in the Laramie area consider it the equivalent of an exhibition game, at least from a fan interest perspective. Unfortunately, Bohl will not be one of those people. I liked the idea suggested above about bringing the team to the Rockies several days early on to  acclimate the flatlanders to the high elevation, but even were that to be done you would have to make a mediocre FBS team with a substantial home field advantge over a mediocre FCS team a 17 point favorite.

WYO 30, UND 13

Too early for predictions, but my gut tells me that this UND squad will fare far better vs run heavy ball control teams than it will vs skilled passers (which is why the matchups vs Wentz and the top tier BSC passers worry me).

I've done no research on WYO yet so I don't know where they will fit.

Too early for predictions, but my gut tells me that this UND squad will fare far better vs run heavy ball control teams than it will vs skilled passers (which is why the matchups vs Wentz and the top tier BSC passers worry me).

I've done no research on WYO yet so I don't know where they will fit.

The only reassuring thing with NDSU is that they don't have a whole lot of game breaking WRs. Vraa is good and always seems to beat teams deep and Urzendowski is a really solid quick playmaker but they lack some of those freaks that we are every week in the Big Sky.

The only reassuring thing with NDSU is that they don't have a whole lot of game breaking WRs. Vraa is good and always seems to beat teams deep and Urzendowski is a really solid quick playmaker but they lack some of those freaks that we are every week in the Big Sky.

If they lack anything among game breakers, they make up for it with robotic discipline.  They would be fine taking a touchback, then throwing the ball for eight yard completions ten times.

Edited by Matt

While I may agree with the assessment of the lack of "freak" athletes at the WR position, both Urzendowski and Vraa or more athletic than most think and frequently find themselves behind the secondary for explosive gains. They are definitely capable of beating corners and safeties deep, especially Vraa.

While I may agree with the assessment of the lack of "freak" athletes at the WR position, both Urzendowski and Vraa or more athletic than most think and frequently find themselves behind the secondary for explosive gains. They are definitely capable of beating corners and safeties deep, especially Vraa.

Both are very good football players. Neither are Golladay or Kupp types.

Edited by geaux_sioux

Pretty funny stuff on the Wyonation blogs. Most, not all, believe that UND will absolutely get steamrolled. I agree that Wyoming is definitely the favorite, but by no mean should the prediction be a 30pt WYO win. Do I expect UND to go in an win this game, based on where they were last year. Not necessarily. I would like to see us go in and be competitive and give ourselves a chance to win. Just surprised me how good WYO fans expect to be, and how terrible they expect UND to be. Almost as if they are playing a D3 school.

Aside from the actual game, there is chatter about how UND stole the interlocking ND from Notre Dame.

Also really funny to see a few of the Bison fans that go onto the Wyoming/UND thread, just to bash UND. Almost like because Bohl is coaching there, they are all buddies. Bison fans apparently know the ins and outs of UNDs roster and their strength and weaknesses from last season. Though I would have figured most of these same posters would also admit they wouldn't watch a UND game because it would be a waste of their time. It amazes me, the lengths and some (not all) Bison fans will go just to rag on UND (a school that these some poster claim they don't have a rivalry with anymore)

• Upvote 2

I have followed their blog as well.  They have no idea how much the defense improved last year from the previous.  I think the offense will make great strides this year compared to last year.  I would be surprised if any team this year scores more than 30 on us.  If it does happen it will be because of TO's.

Pretty funny stuff on the Wyonation blogs. Most, not all, believe that UND will absolutely get steamrolled. I agree that Wyoming is definitely the favorite, but by no mean should the prediction be a 30pt WYO win. Do I expect UND to go in an win this game, based on where they were last year. Not necessarily. I would like to see us go in and be competitive and give ourselves a chance to win. Just surprised me how good WYO fans expect to be, and how terrible they expect UND to be. Almost as if they are playing a D3 school.

Aside from the actual game, there is chatter about how UND stole the interlocking ND from Notre Dame.

Also really funny to see a few of the Bison fans that go onto the Wyoming/UND thread, just to bash UND. Almost like because Bohl is coaching there, they are all buddies. Bison fans apparently know the ins and outs of UNDs roster and their strength and weaknesses from last season. Though I would have figured most of these same posters would also admit they wouldn't watch a UND game because it would be a waste of their time. It amazes me, the lengths and some (not all) Bison fans will go just to rag on UND (a school that these some poster claim they don't have a rivalry with anymore)

If you want a funny read go on Any Given Saturday website and find the thread title "UND accepting new nickname ideas." It is mostly Bison fans screaming about how UND deserves this and that. Pathetic really.

I have followed their blog as well.  They have no idea how much the defense improved last year from the previous.  I think the offense will make great strides this year compared to last year.  I would be surprised if any team this year scores more than 30 on us.  If it does happen it will be because of TO's.

And lack of depth.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm not going to say that we couldn't get blown out. To be fair, some of them are looking at our getting dominated by SJSU last fall, in which we did get throttled by a pretty poor Spartans team (who did beat Wyoming). BUT it was also the first game under a new coach, along with a significant number of freshman. My best guess, is that both teams have improved, and I just don't see this being a blowout either way.

This is also a WYO team that beat MT 17-12, while we only lost to MT 18-15. Direct comparisons don't always tell the tale, but the bottom line is, that there is nothing that WYO has done to indicate that they are dominant enough to flatten anyone. I think this game will come down to matchups.

From what I read, it sounds like they are really strong on the run, which should play into our strength on D. Even if they do want to "chuck the pigskin", I still think we are pretty solid on D. Key for UND will be to get a lead early and control the clock.

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 1

Would love to see it kept within two scores. Defense does well and offense struggles. I know its a easy prediction to make but that's all I can realistically say about this game. If our O-line does well, I think this team will be tough to beat in FCS play.

If you want a funny read go on Any Given Saturday website and find the thread title "UND accepting new nickname ideas." It is mostly Bison fans screaming about how UND deserves this and that. Pathetic really.

that site turned into Bisonville 2.0 and when I put in my two cents the mod would blast me (closet Bison fan) so I dropped that place like a bad habit.

Not surprised many WYO fans think they will win by 3 or more scores.  If we were playing a team a level below us, that was under .500 the year before.....I'm guessing most of us on here would be saying the same thing.  So I don't have a problem with that, every fan base tends to be a little overly optimistic.  I'm looking forward to hopefully making it a frustrating day for them however..

I do think that is pretty funny about NDSU fans being on that site and bashing us, does not surprise me one bit though.  As I've said before.....for a championship team, NDSU has some of the whiniest, self conscious fans around.

• Upvote 2

that site turned into Bisonville 2.0 and when I put in my two cents the mod would blast me (closet Bison fan) so I dropped that place like a bad habit.

are you sure you didn't drop it because you lost a wager? 

The mod is certainly not a Bison fan. He is a Montana guy.

are you sure you didn't drop it because you lost a wager? 

The mod is certainly not a Bison fan. He is a Montana guy.

The problem, as tends to happen, is that NDSU became the biggest fan base on their based on winning all their NC's.  Therefore, the site suddenly was inundated with idiot rubes who know little to nothing about football but are "huge" Bison fans.  So we all have to put up with it for the mean time.

The part I hate is they comment on literally EVERYTHING.  It could be a topic about the MEAC and they will chime in with their two cents.  :sad:

• Upvote 1