SiouxSports.com Forum

Wyoming first up

Nodak78

Just think, Bohl was never leaving FU for anything less than a Big 12 job. 

When he took the Wyoming job, the Fargo media and Fargo media only (Dom Izzo and Jeff "mouthpiece" Kolpack), literally made up a rumor that Wyoming was heading to the Big 12 to justify it. (everyone else giggled at this or thought it was absurd)

And now, it's so ironic to see that the job Bohl left FU for cant even stream their own home games online.

The truth is that Wyoming is a Big Sky School on steroids.

Of course, I like Wyoming because I got my master's degree there.  But, I also like that they have big balls.  They've always taken on the big dogs of the FBS.  Next year, they have a home game with Oregon.  (Last year, they played at Oregon.) 

They are a bit smaller than UND, but have always played at the highest level.  (They didn't go D2, which still pisses me off about the Dakota schools...)  Successful?  At times, yes.  Lately, not really.  But, it's fun to take on the Nebraska  (A couple of years ago) and Oregons of the NCAA while remaining the smallest school in the MWC. 

When some of you get to "The War", you'll see the names of the bowl games they played in the past.  You'll find out that they absolutely, positively, without any apology hate BYU to the core.  There is a history to that which they feel was the start of the downfall of UW Cowboy football.

You'll see Pistol Pete and the pony Cowboy Joe there.  Their fans are loyal, nice and good hearted.  You'll hear them sing along to Ragtime Cowboy Joe, which is about the most fun school song I've ever heard.  (Yeah, at first you think it's kinda stupid, then you realize it's just a fun song.) 

Take a walk around Prexy's Pasture, which is the quad area between all the beautiful sandstone buildings on the main campus.   It's really nice.  You can have a good craft beer in the basement bar in the student center.  The art and natural history museums are pretty good on the campus. 

The Library is where UND fans are supposed to meet beforehand.  But, you gotta have a beer at The Buckhorn, or you've never really been to Laramie. 

It's ridiculous. There needs to be at least a live webcam stream. Wyoming is way behind the 8 ball, apparently. 

Midcontinent going to Wyoming is comparable to NBC ND going on the road to televise NDSU road games. If not Midcontinent, then WDAZ would seem logical, but that likely would violate the Midcontinent agreement. 

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/national-television-spotlight-a-blessing-and-curse-for-wyoming/article_0bdfa867-d369-5045-bbfc-5780729e801e.html

Wyoming needs and wants people in the stands.  To me, a lack of a webfeed is a statement that they don't want their fans sitting in front of their computers or TV in Casper or Gillette when Wyoming plays an FCS team.  They want them in Laramie.   Wyoming is more than capable of getting games on webcasts, but they chose not to do it for a reason.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/national-television-spotlight-a-blessing-and-curse-for-wyoming/article_0bdfa867-d369-5045-bbfc-5780729e801e.html

Wyoming needs and wants people in the stands.  To me, a lack of a webfeed is a statement that they don't want their fans sitting in front of their computers or TV in Casper or Gillette when Wyoming plays an FCS team.  They want them in Laramie.   Wyoming is more than capable of getting games on webcasts, but they chose not to do it for a reason.

Building support for a program is important, also. Strictly relying on in-person attendance is an underutilized strategy, and probably for good reason. You can't expect everyone interested in the game to be there in person. Should UND stop streaming their games? Yes, it may lead to a few more people in the seats, but it ultimately will drive away people who want to follow the team long-term. Having people interested in the team and following from afar is more important to the long-term success of any program. Casual fans are not the ones who donate big bucks and purchase season tickets; cater towards the die-hard fans and alumni that can't make it by providing web casts or arranging broadcasting agreements.

Wyoming is doing this because its an FCS game and they believe they can get more people in the seats by not streaming it, but I'm sure there are plenty of Wyoming fans that cannot attend the game. Is Wyoming's athletic department doing them a favor?

• Upvote 1

This is incorrect.  The MWC allows each school to set their own broadcast schedule and contracts.  That's why Air Force has all of their games on the ESPN Network (except their 1st game which is on Root).  Boise has a handful of games on ESPN but a majority of their conference games are on CBSSN.

The one thing the conference is pushing hard is their streaming service with Campus Insiders.  They just went through a big change from Volar to CI for their streaming services.  While it is a downgrade (Volar went out of business) they are still pushing any non-televised events to the web.

This is on Wyoming and their inability to put the game on the web.  I'm surprised they don't just take their in-house video feed, mix it with radio and use that, since they have to provide video for official replay purposes.

I was hacked!.... Or maybe just stand corrected regarding the streaming on non televised content:

"The MWN will also endeavor to carry streams from the games that currently remain untelevised and may be produced or streamed by the host institution or a local television provider. "

Building support for a program is important, also. Strictly relying on in-person attendance is an underutilized strategy, and probably for good reason. You can't expect everyone interested in the game to be there in person. Should UND stop streaming their games? Yes, it may lead to a few more people in the seats, but it ultimately will drive away people who want to follow the team long-term. Having people interested in the team and following from afar is more important to the long-term success of any program. Casual fans are not the ones who donate big bucks and purchase season tickets; cater towards the die-hard fans and alumni that can't make it by providing web casts or arranging broadcasting agreements.

Wyoming is doing this because its an FCS game and they believe they can get more people in the seats by not streaming it, but I'm sure there are plenty of Wyoming fans that cannot attend the game. Is Wyoming's athletic department doing them a favor?

Maybe UND needs to have a GF/EGF blackout on live streaming. That way local fans should attend while people out of the area can still see the game online.

Of course, I like Wyoming because I got my master's degree there.  But, I also like that they have big balls.  They've always taken on the big dogs of the FBS.  Next year, they have a home game with Oregon.  (Last year, they played at Oregon.) 

They are a bit smaller than UND, but have always played at the highest level.  (They didn't go D2, which still pisses me off about the Dakota schools...)  Successful?  At times, yes.  Lately, not really.  But, it's fun to take on the Nebraska  (A couple of years ago) and Oregons of the NCAA while remaining the smallest school in the MWC. 

When some of you get to "The War", you'll see the names of the bowl games they played in the past.  You'll find out that they absolutely, positively, without any apology hate BYU to the core.  There is a history to that which they feel was the start of the downfall of UW Cowboy football.

You'll see Pistol Pete and the pony Cowboy Joe there.  Their fans are loyal, nice and good hearted.  You'll hear them sing along to Ragtime Cowboy Joe, which is about the most fun school song I've ever heard.  (Yeah, at first you think it's kinda stupid, then you realize it's just a fun song.) 

Take a walk around Prexy's Pasture, which is the quad area between all the beautiful sandstone buildings on the main campus.   It's really nice.  You can have a good craft beer in the basement bar in the student center.  The art and natural history museums are pretty good on the campus. 

The Library is where UND fans are supposed to meet beforehand.  But, you gotta have a beer at The Buckhorn, or you've never really been to Laramie. 

I wish UND would play at the highest level also.  Unfortunately, the state of ND has too many institutions of higher learning for it's population.  Wyoming, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. are all states that only have one flagship, FBS/FCS level school that plays football.  Thus all of the money and fan support goes to that school.  ND has both UND, NDSU, plus, several smaller schools that divides up the resources and some of the fan support.

I wish UND would play at the highest level also.  Unfortunately, the state of ND has too many institutions of higher learning for it's population.  Wyoming, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. are all states that only have one flagship, FBS/FCS level school that plays football.  Thus all of the money and fan support goes to that school.  ND has both UND, NDSU, plus, several smaller schools that divides up the resources and some of the fan support.

If ND did the one flagship school it would for sports it would take NDSU while leaving UND with DI hockey due to recent success and fan support.

I agree given the current situation. However the P5 will split away and if (when) that happens we need to be on the same level as the G5. Really same goes for NDSU, Montana(s), Etc.

Realistically, the MWC isn't the highest level either.   The Pokes get about one game a year...more or less..with a P5 school.  Pokes fans know the difference.  

Mountain West was a really good football conference when Utah, BYU, and TCU were there. Better than the Big East was anyway.

I have a soft spot for the Mountain West. Air Force and Colorado State in particular.

Mountain West was a really good football conference when Utah, BYU, and TCU were there. Better than the Big East was anyway.

I have a soft spot for the Mountain West. Air Force and Colorado State in particular.

Me too.  I was a CSU season ticket holder for a few years.  Did some coursework there.  Great school.  I usually cheer on MWC schools when they engage out of conference opponents.  

thanks for that link.  looks like they have a lot of question marks, a lot of inexperienced starters, and are thin at some positions. 

and, Bohl keeps getting pudgier every year.  

play a disciplined game and hopefully we're in this at the end and can pull off the upset.  

• Upvote 1

There's a Lakeville kid on the 'Pokes - true freshman walkon OL. I ran into his dad on Friday night and he said his son's doing really well and is in the mix to play. Now, this kid is athletic and is listed at 6'4" & 318 on their roster, but if it's true that he's in the mix (I don't see him on their two-deep) my guess is that it says more about the state of the program than it does about him. I see two other freshman O linemen on the two-deep - so clearly it's not a position they felt good about coming into this year.

Purchased my tickets this morning for this game. If you see a blue pt cruiser with South Dakota plates before the game and I am there tailgating stop by and say hello...

Tom

I am hearing the Brown lot is the one to look for. I will be driving a dark blue 4runner with Colorado plates...with a large green Fighting Sioux flag. 

• Upvote 1