SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

10 hours ago, UND83 said:

FACT: Berry delivered number 8.  Something Hakstol didn't do in 7 or 8 Frozen fours.

I guess those of us who felt it was time for a change of coach have a different definition of success.  I'm amazed in reading all these posts that Hakstol  gets more credit for winning this year's natty than Berry does.  Look, we all want success for our hockey team but why is everyone so afraid of what will happen to our program without Hakstol.?

It was successful before him and so far it is successful after him.  

.  I may have missed "all these posts," but I think some people are just sharing the credit with the coach who brought these kids to the program and, with all but the freshmen, coached them.  It was Berry's team this year, and no coach deserves more credit than he does.  I don't think many would disagree with that.   

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UND83 said:

FACT: Berry delivered number 8.  Something Hakstol didn't do in 7 or 8 Frozen fours.

I guess those of us who felt it was time for a change of coach have a different definition of success.  I'm amazed in reading all these posts that Hakstol  gets more credit for winning this year's natty than Berry does.  Look, we all want success for our hockey team but why is everyone so afraid of what will happen to our program without Hakstol.?

FACT: Hakstol kept the program as the most successful, consistent team over the past 11 years in NCAA Hockey. If he doesn't keep them at the top, none of these kids even consider coming to UND (i.e. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Denver). The big test for Berry (which I don't think will be a problem) is to keep them at the top now every year. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

FACT: Hakstol kept the program as the most successful, consistent team over the past 11 years in NCAA Hockey. If he doesn't keep them at the top, none of these kids even consider coming to UND (i.e. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Denver). The big test for Berry (which I don't think will be a problem) is to keep them at the top now every year. 

I think Boston College would take issue with this "fact".  Some would argue that BC's 3 national championships, 7 conference tournament championships, and 4 conference championships during 2005-2015 is more successful, consistent than UND's 0 national championships, 4 conference tournament championships, and 3 conference championships during Hakstol's tenure.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, UND83 said:

Way to twist my words buddy. Now granted, I'll admit I wasn't a fan during the early 2000's, when most of you seem to be so upset, but I look at many of Hakstol's teams as overachievers. Pony Express year was the last time I felt a team really should have won it. Is that game on Hakstol or the potent offense that didn't score a goal? From then on, strictly overachieving teams. Even last year, could they have won a championship, absolutely, but you can't tell me that when you lose your best offensive threat that it isn't going to hurt at some point. Then to have your Mike Richter Award winning goalie self destruct, but according to the haters, that's Hakstol's fault.

I love that we have a championship, and I'm not saying it's either continued success or a championship here or there like you implied with the quote, but how quickly are you going to turn on Berry if he doesn't have the regular season success? How quickly will you turn on him if we don't make the NCAA tournament every year? I'm going to say it won't be long.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I think Boston College would take issue with this "fact".  Some would argue that BC's 3 national championships, 7 conference tournament championships, and 4 conference championships during 2005-2015 is more successful, consistent than UND's 0 national championships, 4 conference tournament championships, and 3 conference championships during Hakstol's tenure.

Some would and would have a good point. I'm saying that in Hak's tenure, he never missed an NCAA tournament (BC did in 09) and was always challenging for a title. Without that consistency , I don't think you get Boeser (was going to go to Wisconsin) or Ausmus (was going to go to Denver) or any other talented player over the past few years.

In closing, yes it is Berry who coached this team to a title but don't forget that it was Hak who really laid the foundation over the last 11 yrs to get to this point.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

There are all kinds of things that happen to change the outcome of a game. That's all part of the game, not forgetting that talent, coaching, home game, and etc. are also important.  When key events happen that are taught to have caused a loss of one of the 4 games of the NCAA's, your out and they are more objectively remembered than any of those in a season loss. Have you heard these comments before: Deserved to win, played good enough to win, hot goalie, hockey Bambino, hit the pipe, monkey on back, and etc.? How a team over comes potential challenges or don't let them happen might lie partly/mostly with the coaches? How to get the players in the right frame of mind? It just seems some coaches are better at winning the big one and then do it again, not necessarily in consecutive years. There's been fresh ink on UND's success the last 20 years, and most programs would take that. I've enjoyed Hak's success and thank him for that. Berry has potential here to make a mark. Wow, Hak just won a playoff game in Philly!!!!!  Congratulations!!!!!

On 4/11/2016 at 0:12 AM, snova4 said:

He does every time. He won't post all season long until after the season is over, then takes nothing but pot shots at Hakstol to troll. His last sentence tells me that he would be absolutely fine having this program go the Duluth route following this title. Not to take anything away from Berry, he was behind the bench for a young team that was able to accomplish the ultimate goal, but in reality this is Hakstol's team. He picked the recruits, maybe Berry helped with getting them here, but it reminds me of the early 2000's when Tony Dungy coached the buccaneers. He built the team, took them to the NFC championship game, lost, was replaced by Jon Gruden, who then won the Super Bowl with the same team. I love that Berry got us over the hump, but will it be worth it if we don't continue the success we've had the last 15 years?

And again, he loves to bust on a guy that went straight to the NHL, possibly coach of the year, and turned a franchise around in one year into a playoff team when absolutely no one expected them to be there. Yeah, awful coach.???

hak isn't awful....he's just arrogant and cursed.

• Downvote 8

A big-time D1 coach has to be a general manager and a team manager and a game manager and a development coach- or at least his staff needs to be.  Hak proved that he was an exceptional GM keeping the team in the elite for over a decade.  Hak's biggest weakness is as a game manager, but we won a lot of games with him in charge.  Hak was a high-end team manager and development manager taking most teams to their best abilities and definitely helping a lot of players make it to the next level. 

Berry has proven that he is a great game manager and in-season team manager.  The other elements are yet to be decided, but he has no demerits in that regard yet.  His players love him- which says a lot.  

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

A big-time D1 coach has to be a general manager and a team manager and a game manager and a development coach- or at least his staff needs to be.  Hak proved that he was an exceptional GM keeping the team in the elite for over a decade.  Hak's biggest weakness is as a game manager, but we won a lot of games with him in charge.  Hak was a high-end team manager and development manager taking most teams to their best abilities and definitely helping a lot of players make it to the next level. 

Berry has proven that he is a great game manager and in-season team manager.  The other elements are yet to be decided, but he has no demerits in that regard yet.  His players love him- which says a lot.

I agree and I like the way you broke it down to the 4 parts of his job, the 3 mangers and the development coach. It just seemed to me that Hak's composure during a UND game was like it should of been for a professional game, too business like. I never envisioned him leaping to a head coaching job in the pros, and now, he's there. Over the last few years, there were more and more supporters showing a concern that there should be a Natty with this much success. Hak really made it easy for the Athletic Department.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:43 AM, siouxkid12 said:

Some would and would have a good point. I'm saying that in Hak's tenure, he never missed an NCAA tournament (BC did in 09) and was always challenging for a title. Without that consistency , I don't think you get Boeser (was going to go to Wisconsin) or Ausmus (was going to go to Denver) or any other talented player over the past few years.

In closing, yes it is Berry who coached this team to a title but don't forget that it was Hak who really laid the foundation over the last 11 yrs to get to this point.

... and after a period of time without many game breakers because of various guys not coming in, Hakstol did more than his due diligence to make sure they landed Boeser, going the extra mile / miles to make sure he ended up in a UND uniform.  Last year Schmaltz was only a shell of what he was this year.  Add Caggiula to that line and all of a sudden you have the magical line, with the magical season, with the magical culmination.  Don't think they win the Championship this year without that line finding that magical chemistry.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

... and after a period of time without many game breakers because of various guys not coming in, Hakstol did more than his due diligence to make sure they landed Boeser, going the extra mile / miles to make sure he ended up in a UND uniform.  Last year Schmaltz was only a shell of what he was this year.  Add Caggiula to that line and all of a sudden you have the magical line, with the magical season, with the magical culmination.  Don't think they win the Championship this year without that line finding that magical chemistry.  

The bolded part above is very true, thanks for noting it.  Credit for #8 needs to be spread far and wide, including all the way out to Philadelphia.  Congrats to everyone who had a hand in it.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, tnt said:

I would have to agree with you on finding that magical chemistry. I am a big supporter of Hak, he is a great coach. But after watching him set up his team lines for so many years, I don't think the CBS line would have even existed. Hak liked to have a balance through his lines. Sure he might have played them together for a few games early in the season, but he would have had those three split up. Maybe had two on one line, maybe he would have finally gotten them together around January and made a run to the playoffs. But even then, he probably wouldn't have had last change, and that might have affected the outcome of the game against Michigan or Denver. This is all speculation, and might be over thinking the situation, but that's just my thoughts. 

7 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I would have to agree with you on finding that magical chemistry. I am a big supporter of Hak, he is a great coach. But after watching him set up his team lines for so many years, I don't think the CBS line would have even existed. Hak liked to have a balance through his lines. Sure he might have played them together for a few games early in the season, but he would have had those three split up. Maybe had two on one line, maybe he would have finally gotten them together around January and made a run to the playoffs. But even then, he probably wouldn't have had last change, and that might have affected the outcome of the game against Michigan or Denver. This is all speculation, and might be over thinking the situation, but that's just my thoughts. 

hmmmm...I seem to remember the Pony Express, DOT...those examples seem like he loaded the top line.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

hmmmm...I seem to remember the Pony Express, DOT...those examples seem like he loaded the top line.  

Alright. You got me on the DOT. But I'm pretty sure the Pony Express was already together prior to that season, and when Frattin came back, he was a stud. I think he would have had a great season whoever he played with. But Hak was here many seasons and only figured out two great lines? 

3 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Alright. You got me on the DOT. But I'm pretty sure the Pony Express was already together prior to that season, and when Frattin came back, he was a stud. I think he would have had a great season whoever he played with. But Hak was here many seasons and only figured out two great lines? 

As mentioned, DOT and Pony Express plus Kristo-Knight-Nelson in 2012, and Caggulia-MacMillian-Parks last year before Mac got hurt at the end of the year. I would have to disagree with your assessment totally.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

As mentioned, DOT and Pony Express plus Kristo-Knight-Nelson in 2012, and Caggulia-MacMillian-Parks last year before Mac got hurt at the end of the year. I would have to disagree with your assessment totally.

Everyone has their opinion. I expressed mine. Isn't that what this site is for?

19 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Everyone has their opinion. I expressed mine. Isn't that what this site is for?

I think people are disagreeing with it respectfully and providing examples. Maybe you could provide examples that back up your side?  Like a time when he's split up big players. I'm not saying you're wrong either, I believe he did move Grimaldi around a bunch w/ different combos but he did have the big lines that were previously noted as well.

The speculation on what or wouldn't Hak do is kind of amusing.  Equally amusing is to speculate on the absolute meltdown people on this site would have had if Big time players didn't make a great play against Denver.  I can only imagine that Berry would have been thrown under the bus because the players didn't play to win like they did against Quinnipiac, even though their mantra was attack mentality.  Players made plays this year on the big stage. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think people are disagreeing with it respectfully and providing examples. Maybe you could provide examples that back up your side?  Like a time when he's split up big players. I'm not saying you're wrong either, I believe he did move Grimaldi around a bunch w/ different combos but he did have the big lines that were previously noted as well.

I think Grimaldi was slightly overrated as a college player. Skated fast and moved around a lot but always was pounding his stick on the ice as if he thought he was going to score every time he touched it. Never really got the vibe from him that he was ever fully "on-board" at UND.

I wasn't bashing Hakstol. I thought he was a great coach, as I said in my original post. I was just saying that Berry put those guys together to start the season, and kept them together. Hakstol would have shuffled lines around until he got it right. Which, in turn, possibly would have made us a lower seed in the tournament and could have led to us playing Michigan or Denver without the last change. Which then, could have affected the outcome being we didn't have last change to put the Heavy Line against other teams top lines.