SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Spring break is just ending in Mankato, so crowds have been light.  Also, the pep band is on a bus heading back from a road basketball game, so they're not at the hockey game tonight.  (I have a contact on the bus.)

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

They have Duluth at 15 and uscho has them at 13. Who's right? 

They moved them below Tech because of the WCHA autobid? 

Not sure about Northeastern though? It appears they believe Northeastern has a better chance at making the tournament over Duluth despite Duluth's better PWR. (and despite the fact they believe UMD has a better chance to win the Automatic Qualifier: 12% vs 9% for Northeaster?)

Which means one can conclude Duluth will far further in the PWR than Northeastern will with possible upcoming losses (or climb higher with wins?) EDIT: Running through the USCHO PWR Predictor, it appears its because Duluth could lose two this weekend with the third place game. Since HE doesn't have a third place game, Northeastern at most would lose one game. Duluths wins one game (even the third place game) and likely in (and that's with Minnesota stealing an extra Big Ten spot by winning the autobid).....That's my uneducated hypothesis.

In Atlantic Hockey they have Robert Morris with a 33% chance vs Air Force with a 36% chance despite Robert Morris being #19 in PWR vs Air Force at #28. Robert Morris also won the regular season title in Atlantic Hockey. Not sure what to think of their math. Doesn't really pass the smell test to me. 

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Sorry, one of my best friends went to LSSU and I've seen several games up there over the years.  Have a soft spot in my heart for the Lakers I guess. 

Me too, my wife graduated from LSSU so been back there a few times.

4 hours ago, jk said:

Spring break is just ending in Mankato, so crowds have been light.  Also, the pep band is on a bus heading back from a road basketball game, so they're not at the hockey game tonight.  (I have a contact on the bus.)

Went to Mankato tonight.   One of the least suspenseful Game 3's ever.    Lake St. looked leg weary.   Mankato looked solid, although I think they will be better next year than this year.      

6 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Went to Mankato tonight.   One of the least suspenseful Game 3's ever.    Lake St. looked leg weary.   Mankato looked solid, although I think they will be better next year than this year.      

The next two years are the ones I'm excited about for msu. We're losing a decent amount from our seniors this year, but it's not insurmountable. This year's juniors are solid and the sophomores have the potential to be really good. Our recruiting class looks really, really good. We've got 3 of the top 10 scorers in the ushl coming in including last year's minnesota Mr hockey. 

It's funny because we tied for the MacNaughton cup (which we should have won outright if not for some stupid lazy plays in the uah series) and there is a collective yawn in Mankato because it doesn't feel like it's been a good season. 

I know that's more than anyone here wanted to know about mankato. Thanks for humoring me.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bale31 said:

The next two years are the ones I'm excited about for msu. We're losing a decent amount from our seniors this year, but it's not insurmountable. This year's juniors are solid and the sophomores have the potential to be really good. Our recruiting class looks really, really good. We've got 3 of the top 10 scorers in the ushl coming in including last year's minnesota Mr hockey. 

It's funny because we tied for the MacNaughton cup (which we should have won outright if not for some stupid lazy plays in the uah series) and there is a collective yawn in Mankato because it doesn't feel like it's been a good season. 

I know that's more than anyone here wanted to know about mankato. Thanks for humoring me.

This IS the non-UND thread after all.    

Next year:  both goaltenders are back, all the defense except Jutzi, so you start with a solid base.   All that needs adding is some scoring which as you note is on the way.   

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3986896-und-hockey-und-averages-more-sellout

Attendance figures for this year.  UND with almost 2000 more fans a game than Minnesota which was 2nd on the list.  Of course if it was butts in the seats, that figure would probably be 4000-5000 more.  Would imagine Omaha might even be 2nd on that list with their new arena. 

• Upvote 1

10 finalists for the Hobey was announced. The Michigan top line, Thatcher Demko (BC G), Alex Lyon (Yale G), a Robert Morris forward, Prow from SCSU, Petan for Michigan Tech, Vesey from Harvard, and Poturalski for New Hampshire.

I think it is a little insane that every guy on that Michigan top line made it. They put up huge point totals but they also played most of their games absolutely pathetic defenses. Compher and Motte from Michigan were barely point per game guys in out of conference play. Their stats are inflated from getting to play in the second worst conference in college hockey. I thought a guy from our top line or Anas or Kossila or Heinen should have made it over at least one of them.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

10 finalists for the Hobey was announced. The Michigan top line, Thatcher Demko (BC G), Alex Lyon (Yale G), a Robert Morris forward, Prow from SCSU, Petan for Michigan Tech, Vesey from Harvard, and Poturalski for New Hampshire.

I think it is a little insane that every guy on that Michigan top line made it. They put up huge point totals but they also played most of their games absolutely pathetic defenses. Compher and Motte from Michigan were barely point per game guys in out of conference play. Their stats are inflated from getting to play in the second worst conference in college hockey. I thought a guy from our top line or Anas or Kossila or Heinen should have made it over at least one of them.

I agree with everything you said here.  Sucks that Cam is getting penalized due to the uber talented dcore in front of him.

That's ridiculous.  They should check those guys' PPG and compare them in conference and out of conference to realize how the vast majority of their points were from eating up their in conference cupcake schedule.

And only one guy from a NCHC team?  Weak.
Hopefully Vesey wins it and makes this a moot point.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Well, you saved me a lot of typing ;) 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Agreed completely, just look at Schierhorn from Minnesota winning Goalie of the Year with something like a .910 save %. A point against the BIG is not a the same as a point against ECAC, NCHC, or Hockey East.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I wonder how many points the CBS line would have had playing against B10 opponents every night....

If Boeser and Schmaltz wouldn't have been so good they made the world junior (cough Kyle cough) and Caggiula and Schmaltz had been healthy the entire season, they would be right up there with that Michigan top line in scoring. Cags lost 4 games against WMU and CC, Boeser lost 2 against UAH, and Nick lost 6 against WMU, CC, and UAH. They would all be over 50 points playing in what is at worst the 2nd best conference in hockey. If they were in the B10 then they probably would have been putting Johnny Gaudreau numbers or maybe Paul Kariya :D

• Upvote 1

Conner scored 43 of his 62 points in 20 B10 games. 19 in his remaining 14 games. He's deserving in my opinion.

Motte scored 38 of his 50 points in conference. 12 in his remaining 14 games.

Compher scored 37 of his 52 in conference. 15 in his remaining 14 games. 

Minnesota was the best defensive team in that crap conference and they were 33rd in the nation. People could accuse me of having green tinted glasses but it isn't only the 3 players on our top line that were more deserving. Everyone on Denver's top line, Kossila, and Guentzel were all more deserving forwards from the NCHC. Anas for Quinnipiac is more deserving. He was tied for 10th in points for a team that lost 2 games. O'Regan for BU or Fitzgerald for BC could be considered more deserving. The fact that Motte and Compher made it is a joke. Michigan had as many finalists as the NCHC and Hockey East combined and they weren't even a good enough team to win the 2nd worst conference in hockey. It's a joke.

• Upvote 1