SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations For Next Year

geaux_sioux

Yes, I believe he won the annual Robbie Earl award... Departures can change everything, but right now I would pick Omaha #1 UND #2 in the preseason poll.

And Cepis, as we all remember, transferred to Minnesota where he became a national diving champion.

• Upvote 1

Expectations for 2015-2016:

1.  I expect UND to struggle a bit before New Years.   Seven seniors - especially of the quality they carried - simply cannot be replaced without some time to build chemistry on and off the ice.

2.   I expect UND players to stay out of the headlines for off ice activities.    

3.  I expect UND players to stay in class and get respectable grades.   (I have no idea how any of these athletes do it ... I would have surely failed.)

4.  I expect the rookies - especially up front - to add some immediate impact.   

5. I expect the defensive corps - provided the offseason departures aren't too wicked - to be the heart of the team's competitive advantage.

6.  If Zane stays, I expect us to hold opponents regularly to 1 or 2 goals.

7.  I expect us to sweep Wisconsin.   And to build a solid non-conference record which gives a leg up in NCAA Pairwise.

8.  I expect the NCHC to be a dogfight every night, with no clearcut favorite yet ... a lot of splits.   Maybe 10 losses wins it.

9.  I expect UND to make the NCAA tournament as a 1 or 2 seed with Zane (and a 3 or 4 seed without).  

10.  I expect us to win our regional.   (80% winning percentage in the Hakstol era ...)  Most likely by beating Mankato in St Paul.

11.  After that, I have no idea.   I quit making forecasts, and definitely don't wager on the Frozen Four.

12.  I would like - but don't expect - a series with Arizona State soon.   An exhibition?   (I'm happy to hear the rumors of Omaha and St Cloud on their schedule.)

13.  I expect UND to lead the nation in attendance again.   Home and road.    I expect average gameday chat to attract more viewers than the average team draws fans.

14.  I expect the NCHC tournament to increase attendance again, and outdraw the Big Mistake in St Paul and the WCHA.    

15.   I expect rumors of Notre Dame departing Hockey East to heat up, and I expect Bowling Green to continue stirring the pot on realignment until they join their MAC brethren in a conference somehow.   I expect one more big announcement in PAC 12 land, most likely U of Arizona.

16.   I expect to see TJ Oshie bring the Stanley Cup to Warroad and Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

If Luke Johnson can play throughout the season the way he played at the end, especially in the tournament, that will definitely help.

I was really impressed with Luke's play near the end of the year, and especially in the post season.  The kid can flat out snipe the puck.  He's gained a little strength in his two years in school, and I expect that will only continue.

I hesitate to put any labels on kids, or say they play like this player, or remind me of that player.  But I seriously think Luke has Matt Frattin senior season level talent, and we could start to see it as soon as next year.

I was really impressed with Luke's play near the end of the year, and especially in the post season.  The kid can flat out snipe the puck.  He's gained a little strength in his two years in school, and I expect that will only continue.

I hesitate to put any labels on kids, or say they play like this player, or remind me of that player.  But I seriously think Luke has Matt Frattin senior season level talent, and we could start to see it as soon as next year.

I agree.  If he can get a little faster over the summer, and maintain the level of play he showed towards the end of the year, he could have a 20 goal/40 points season next year.

I expect next year to look more like a traditional Hak season - slow start up to the point that we are wondering if we will make the playoffs - Then a torrid finish.  The end result, well, let's just say that I have been disappointed to the point of not making any bold predictions.  What I hope will happen is this:  Zane returns and gets a little time off with a quality back-up (and soon to be starter) on roster.  Our defensive corps shines - because of this Hak unleashes the hounds up front instead of the eternal dump and chase. We have some talent that may play better in a wide open offense especially with our puck-moving D.  I see glimmers of Hak loosening up, but that's all - just glimmers.  It is clear that fast, attacking offensive schemes are winning on the national stage.   

• Upvote 1

I agree. If he can get a little faster over the summer, and maintain the level of play he showed towards the end of the year, he could have a 20 goal/40 points season next year.

Idk if he can reach Frattin level speed though. When he turned it on he could blaze. Speaking of fast, anyone remember Billy Sweatt? Fastest skater I've ever seen.

PC was the aggressor for the entire Omaha game, both ends of the ice. 

PC was certainly the aggressor in the Omaha game, and maybe even better in the 3rd period of the BU game, but this was no high flying offensive juggernaut.  Tied for 18th in goal scoring.  38th on the power play.  You have to go a long way down the national scoring list to find a PC player.  Just a handful of guys in double digits in goals scored.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say this PC team was built exactly like this year's UND team.  The primary difference in the Frozen Four was goaltending.  Zane played an average game against BU, while Gillies was superb. 

Do you suppose

UND looked at UNO as the main combatant

UNO looked at UND as the main combatant

BU looked at UND as the main combatant

PC looked at the next opponent as the main combatant

I expect more exciting hockey, some hand wringing, and gfhockey to burn off another 7% of his brain cells.

Leaman also had a pretty good game plan too and his boys came ready to play

Our boys game to play. Outplayed BU the majority of the game. Not blaming the game on Zane, because there are other areas we could have made up the difference BUT if the Zane that we have watched all year played against BU. we would have won. Losing that game had nothing to do with out team not showing up.

Almost more frustrating to watch them lose, because they appeared to be playing the better game.