SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

Any evidence to back that claim?  What about the countless people on this board who have sworn off of "North Dakota" merchandise.  I don't suspect they're going to race to the store with their wallets out absent change.

Besides, is anyone really moved by any of the generic "North Dakota" stuff?

Do you think anyone who claimed to have sworn of generic North Dakota stuff, is going to go for a new name and logo?

Big surprise that despite being a self-described lifelong fan, the author's name appears nowhere in the Champions Club member list.  I'd be willing to make a wager that some of the loudest critics do not put their money where they claim their support is.

And I agree 100%.  LS bleeds more green than this guy could ever dream of.

To be fair, not all critics have the excess money to poney up; and simply having money shouldn't drive someones right to an opinion. He was correct in his article that Hakstol is never going to let that team forget they are the Sioux; granted that is only one sport.

I seem to remember the same thing you are saying.  Stakeholders would be the ones that vote on the name but this has me a little worried.

Clarification from President Kelley

I appreciate the Committee’s question about what is meant—as stated in the Committee’s charter—by a “public” vote on the nickname. I want to clarify that “public” means anyone who wishes to vote on the selection of a new nickname. So, both the public vote and the preceding suggestion period are intended to be open to anyone who wishes to respond.

http://und.edu/university-public-affairs/nickname/3-25-15.cfm

This is unfortunate.  Allow the people who want to sabotage this process the right to vote?  That's what's really happening?  

If there is a weak link as a finalist, that will be the nickname.  All it will take is one post from the idiots at deadspin, and it's over.  There is no room for error from this committee when they announce their finalists.

Really? I haven't been able to get up to Grand Forks for a while. That is really disappointing. Sounds loud on TV though.

Haven't been to BBall or Football then either I suppose. It is virtually non exsistant at those games. Goes back to what Siouxperfan 7 said Fighting Sioux Forever = hockey only fans. 

I tend to think fans that attend all sports get that moving on is what is best for the school. 

Also NDSU has gotten attention because of their success, but they have capitalized on that by increasing their brand of not only NDSU but Bison. They had an entire Tom Renoldi ESPN segment about the name Bison. That doesn't happen without them having a nickname. 

This is unfortunate.  Allow the people who want to sabotage this process the right to vote?  That's what's really happening?  

If there is a weak link as a finalist, that will be the nickname.  All it will take is one post from the idiots at deadspin, and it's over.  There is no room for error from this committee when they announce their finalists.

Vote should be by Alumni, Investors, Season Ticket Holders, maybe a few other select groups. Opening the vote open to a wide populus seems way too controversial.

From the link above:

Ultimately, I believe that the success of the nickname selection effort comes down to two issues:

First, as I have noted, the transparency and inclusiveness of the process, and
Second, the representative quality of the nicknames on the final short list submitted for the public vote.
As I noted in my initial charge to the Committee at the first meeting, we have been North Dakota for decades—and we always will be. North Dakota is not a nickname—it is a reflection of our pride in who we are. I am looking to the Committee to identify a short list of nicknames that build on that pride. My charge to this Committee is to develop for public vote a list of other names—high quality names that add value to our already-existing North Dakota identity and that evoke the pride and spirit that we all feel for our University and our State.

Whoever said, "There is no room for error from this committee when they announce their finalists", that sentiment is exactly in "Second, ... " above. 

To be fair, not all critics have the excess money to poney up; and simply having money shouldn't drive someones right to an opinion. He was correct in his article that Hakstol is never going to let that team forget they are the Sioux; granted that is only one sport.

I don't necessarily disagree but the entry level donation to the Champions Club is $135 and its 100% tax deducible if no ticket benefit is taken from it. Anywhere there is an article on anything relating to the old or any sort of new nickname, there are countless people who claim to have taken the bold stance to quit giving donations if the Fighting Sioux nickname doesn't come back.  Amazing how the Champions Club continues to set donation records with all these people who have "quit" donating.

Not sure I 100% agree with you on Hakstol's stance, but your opinion on the matter is pretty telling on the dividing line of the issue.

Vote should be by Alumni, Investors, Season Ticket Holders, maybe a few other select groups. Opening the vote open to a wide populus seems way too controversial.

It strikes me as extremely naive on President Kelley's part.  He apparently thinks everyone on the internet has good intentions.

Haven't been to BBall or Football then either I suppose. It is virtually non exsistant at those games. Goes back to what Siouxperfan 7 said Fighting Sioux Forever = hockey only fans. 

I tend to think fans that attend all sports get that moving on is what is best for the school. 

Also NDSU has gotten attention because of their success, but they have capitalized on that by increasing their brand of not only NDSU but Bison. They had an entire Tom Renoldi ESPN segment about the name Bison. That doesn't happen without them having a nickname. 

Nope, I watch football and basketball on the Big Sky website. And while other sports certainly matter, there is not denying UND is a hockey first school. If so much of this argument is about money (merchandising and marketing) as was stated earlier, it would be wise to not piss off the largest fan base at the school either. That being said, I think football really is moving in the right direction with Bubba. Start winning some games, and filling some seats.

Any they don't get the ESPN attention without winning first. Win and you will get that attention regardless of what you are or are not called.

• Upvote 1

This is moronic. Deadspin will be all over this....would be an epic failure. Here is who should vote. 

UND Alumni

UND Current Students

UND Donors

UND Champions Club Members

UND Season Ticket Holders

if you aren't on that list and want to vote join the champions club or purchase season tickets.Even if you open it up to people of the state you are going to get NDSU fans that would sabbatoge it.

The committee needs to address that issue before it gets to a vote.........that is a serious problem. 

• Upvote 1

I don't necessarily disagree but the entry level donation to the Champions Club is $135 and its 100% tax deducible if no ticket benefit is taken from it. Anywhere there is an article on anything relating to the old or any sort of new nickname, there are countless people who claim to have taken the bold stance to quit giving donations if the Fighting Sioux nickname doesn't come back.  Amazing how the Champions Club continues to set donation records with all these people who have "quit" donating.

Not sure I 100% agree with you on Hakstol's stance, but your opinion on the matter is pretty telling on the dividing line of the issue.

I didn't know that about the champions club, I may look into that myself. I haven't been a big donor myself, though with 2 kids under 3 expenses tend to build.

• Upvote 2

This is moronic. Deadspin will be all over this....would be an epic failure. Here is who should vote. 

UND Alumni

UND Current Students

UND Donors

if you aren't on that list and want to vote join the champions club or purchase season tickets.Even if you open it up to people of the state you are going to get NDSU fans that would sabbatoge it.

The committee needs to address that issue before it gets to a vote.........that is a serious problem. 

Agreed!

UND Alumni

UND Current Students

UND Donors

I think we can all agree that only stakeholders, as mentioned above, should get the final vote. 

Yep.  This can't stand. There has to be some control over who can vote on this.  Having the committee choose the nickname would be better than this.  We can't leave it up to deadspin to choose our nickname.  Someone needs to have a talk with Kelley and explain why this doesn't work.

Lets go back to the Fighting Sioux, drop down to the DIII level and DESTROY everybody as an independant team. Hak will get his National Championships to fill the rafters with and we will all be happy :silly:

Except that DIII is still under the NCAA umbrella...

Who got us into this mess I dont think Sioux Hockey was ever that hostile & abusive with the name - even our biggest rival never really overly abused our name (in Hockey) but football & the rivalry with NDSU took it to the extreme that got the name taken away

Last night Duke played basketball. Everyone knows Duke. The announcers say Duke. Fans say Duke.

Yet, they have the "Blue Devils" nickname and logo.

They could run as just "Duke", but they don't.

Now why is that?

Marketing and Merchandising.

"Marketing and Merchandishing," eh?

Q) What logo appeared on the t-shirts and hats handed out to the players immediately after the game?

A) The Duke "D," not the Blue Devil.

• Upvote 2

Who got us into this mess I dont think Sioux Hockey was ever that hostile & abusive with the name - even our biggest rival never really overly abused our name (in Hockey) but football & the rivalry with NDSU took it to the extreme that got the name taken away

Really? This is from 2 years ago.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2012/02/umd_hockey_fans_smallpox_blankets_chant_university_of_north_dakota_fighting_sioux.php

Keep taking your Fighting Sioux Forever medication though, whatever helps you sleep better. 

Doesn't really matter, Fighting Sioux is gone. I still think No Nickname is the compromise between Getting rid of Fighting Sioux and Replacing the name and logo altogether. As far as marketing and merchandising go, start winning and you will create your own marketing. On the College Hockey scene University of North Dakota does great, because they win (Unfortunately, College Hockey is small in the overall scope of college athletics. Put a winning football team on the field, and a competetive basketball team on the court and the athletic department as a whole will find success.

A) The Duke "D," not the Blue Devil.

They tend not to use the "devil in the D logo" on small presentations (like on that hat) because it's difficult to manufacture and recognize at that size. (The same could be said of the old Ben Brien logo.) 

So let me see if I have this straight.... The people wanting to remain nickname - less are chastised for the effects it will have on merchandising.... because the people that want a new nickname will then refuse to continue to support UND merchandise sales? Got it .

Pot, meet kettle.