SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

Alabama and Oregon get huge amounts of publicity by competing in power conferences.  Their logo doesn't have to stand out.  UND doesn't have that luxury.  UND needs a strong nickname and logo much more than the schools that you keep bringing up.  Try finding a school at the same compete level as UND that benefits by having a letter for a logo.  That would give your argument more strength.  Otherwise UND's logo would be more on the same level as Alcorn State than Alabama.

You're a tough customer to please, 82SiouxGuy.  Perhaps these "iconic" logos are more up your alley than Michigan's M or Ohio State's O...

7354_northern_arizona_lumberjacks-primar

6878.png

1163_idaho_state_bengals-primary-1997.pn

No thanks.  I'd take a simple ND over those any day of the week.  

You're a tough customer to please, 82SiouxGuy.  Perhaps these "iconic" logos are more up your alley than Michigan's M or Ohio State's O...

7354_northern_arizona_lumberjacks-primar

6878.png

1163_idaho_state_bengals-primary-1997.pn

No thanks.  I'd take a simple ND over those any day of the week.  

At least those aren't going to be confused with a major university.

At least those aren't going to be confused with a major university.

Well, one is sort-of a take on the Washington State Cougars logo, one looks like the Cincinnati Bengals, and one looks like a character from The Village People...

Ok, not saying that I am for anything other than No Nickname, because that is obviously my first choice. You could still have a new logo, you could still have some form of mascot ....

BUT, I remember someone floating the Nokota, which I believe is a horse or stallion? Could go by The Nokes for short. I'm sure you could put together a pretty cool logo there.

Don't be bullied by the anti- no-nickname folks. No nickname would win in a landslide if it is allowed to be voted on. I think the right minds could market the hell out of being a state flagship university that doesn't have a nickname. We are North Dakota! Sounds a lot better than "here comes the University of North Dakota Aviators" or some other lame ass nickname! It's also a reminder that the PC police took our nickname if we choose to go without one. We can play by their silly rules, but it doesn't mean we don't have the right to be bitter about it.

Any evidence to back that claim? What about the countless people on this board who have sworn off of "North Dakota" merchandise. I don't suspect they're going to race to the store with their wallets out absent change.

Besides, is anyone really moved by any of the generic "North Dakota" stuff?

Not me!!!!

Who got us into this mess I dont think Sioux Hockey was ever that hostile & abusive with the name - even our biggest rival never really overly abused our name (in Hockey) but football & the rivalry with NDSU took it to the extreme that got the name taken away

It is not hostile and abusive, it's the PC A**HOLES that make it that way. I have personally never once heard anyone say it was. All I've ever heard is the pride people have in the FIGHTING SIOUX name. But you know there's always someone who has to make trouble somewhere.

Excuse me, the Fighting Irish nick name offends me, I want it changed now!!!!!

Don't be bullied by the anti- no-nickname folks. No nickname would win in a landslide if it is allowed to be voted on. I think the right minds could market the hell out of being a state flagship university that doesn't have a nickname. We are North Dakota! Sounds a lot better than "here comes the University of North Dakota Aviators" or some other lame ass nickname! It's also a reminder that the PC police took our nickname if we choose to go without one. We can play by their silly rules, but it doesn't mean we don't have the right to be bitter about it.

Not being bullied, I am a big supporter of staying University of North Dakota. Just threw Nokota/Nokes out there because I remember hearing it a while back and it seemed, at least, unique.

Definitely not a fan of Aviators; Aviation is one piece of the University. We have a business school too, maybe we should be the "Mad Men" ;)

I don't understand how having no nickname is even a debate when the agreement we signed with the NCAA explicitly says that if we don't pick a new name we will return to the list of sanctioned schools. 

I don't recall UND every being required to change their name, or adopt a new name. We just had to retire Fighting Sioux. Where did you see that? Could you provide a link.

I don't understand how having no nickname is even a debate when the agreement we signed with the NCAA explicitly says that if we don't pick a new name we will return to the list of sanctioned schools. 

For the 10 millionth time…UND cannot be on the naughty list because it does not have a hostile and abusive nickname.  There is no NCAA rule or bylaw mandating that member schools have a nickname.  Ergo, no NCAA punishment can be levied.  There is an interpretation of the settlement agreement that obligates UND to select a new name, but there is by no means a consensus that the NCAA would or could enforce it.

I don't recall UND every being required to change their name, or adopt a new name. We just had to retire Fighting Sioux. Where did you see that? Could you provide a link.

That comes from the Settlement Agreement with the NCAA, http://www.ag.nd.gov/ncaa/SettlementAgreement.pdf.  See page 5, section d.  It talks about UND transitioning to a new nickname and logo that do not violate the Native American policy, and that if UND does not transition to a new nickname and logo it will be returned to the list of institutions that violate the Native American policy.  There is disagreement about what exactly that means.

That comes from the Settlement Agreement with the NCAA, http://www.ag.nd.gov/ncaa/SettlementAgreement.pdf.  See page 5, section d.  It talks about UND transitioning to a new nickname and logo that do not violate the Native American policy, and that if UND does not transition to a new nickname and logo it will be returned to the list of institutions that violate the Native American policy.  There is disagreement about what exactly that means.

Hamlin Hamlin McGill would've taken the NC2A to the cleaners.

• Upvote 1

There is disagreement about what exactly that means.

The disagreement generally stems from context and the circumstances under which the agreement was entered into.  Was there an underlying assumption that it was going to be Sioux or something else (an A or B proposition)?  Yes.  Were the parties at that time even remotely contemplating that there could be no name (option C)?  In my humble opinion, absolutely not.

One simply cannot construe that clause in a vacuum.  Several of the terms and conditions have been rendered impossible or moot as events have unfolded, and the parties through their conduct and/or by formal amendment have basically nullified or negated a number of them.

I totally get the need to be different than Notre Dame...which is why I like this logo.

9107_north_dakota_fighting_sioux-alterna

There have been plenty... I mean hundreds of worse suggestions than this on the topic.

I like it.

Does anybody really think if they don't choose a nickname that we won't be revisiting getting a nickname time and again, or even those diehards suggesting going back to The Fighting Sioux nickname?

We have a president that's on record to put it to a "public vote". I say kick the can to the next pres...one qualified to handle the issue.

We have a president that's on record to put it to a "public vote". I say kick the can to the next pres...one qualified to handle the issue.

The criticisms of Kelley are fascinating.  What were his options, really?

1.  Public vote (however one defines 'public')

2.  Small, hand-picked committee

3.  Large, hand-picked committee

4.  Presidential fiat

5.  Inaction (a/k/a practically begging the ND legislature to step in where it is not welcome)

Am I missing any?  Can anyone honestly make a compelling case for one over the others?

This is moronic. Deadspin will be all over this....would be an epic failure. Here is who should vote. 

UND Alumni

UND Current Students

UND Donors

UND Champions Club Members

UND Season Ticket Holders

if you aren't on that list and want to vote join the champions club or purchase season tickets.Even if you open it up to people of the state you are going to get NDSU fans that would sabbatoge it.

The committee needs to address that issue before it gets to a vote.........that is a serious problem. 

The criticisms of Kelley are fascinating.  What were his options, really?

1.  Public vote (however one defines 'public')

2.  Small, hand-picked committee

3.  Large, hand-picked committee

4.  Presidential fiat

5.  Inaction (a/k/a practically begging the ND legislature to step in where it is not welcome)

Am I missing any?  Can anyone honestly make a compelling case for one over the others?

See what NodakHoops wrote, that would be a legitimate option for Kelley. A smaller populus of voters who are interested and invested. You want your vote to be watered to by Bison fans, Gopher fans, and whomever else feels like voting because they can? C'mon Man!

See what NodakHoops wrote, that would be a legitimate option for Kelley. A smaller populus of voters who are interested and invested. You want your vote to be watered to by Bison fans, Gopher fans, and whomever else feels like voting because they can? C'mon Man!

If they are only given 3 choices, and those 3 choices have been approved by the committee as appropriate nicknames for the school, how much damage can be done by outside groups?  And how much incentive would they have to vote?  It isn't like they are going to be able to submit write-in names.  The concern only becomes a real issue if there is an obvious bad choice.

Are people confusing the very open and public call for suggestions with the as-yet undefined "public" vote?  I think that would be a mistake.  At least until the parameters of the vote are announced.  

If they are only given 3 choices, and those 3 choices have been approved by the committee as appropriate nicknames for the school, how much damage can be done by outside groups?  And how much incentive would they have to vote?  It isn't like they are going to be able to submit write-in names.  The concern only becomes a real issue if there is an obvious bad choice.

There is a principle to the matter. Why should any random person get a say in the University's name? That and I do not have full confiidence in the committee, given who they are reporting too.