SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Spring Football

jdub27

This whole situation seems fishy. Bubba isn't stupid, and this situation almost seems to indicate the opposite from the outside. It reminds me of a 30 for 30 that I saw about USC and Bama home and home back in the day that helped Bear Bryant make a case for full integration on his football team. Bama got smashed in the first game so for the next years game, the season opener, Bear decided to have a closed fall camp. Nobody saw anything from Bama until they stepped on the field for the first game. They had ended up installing the wing t offense under the cover of a media blackout and pulled a fast one on USC and got a quick lead on them before they could adjust to the new offense that they hadn't seen on any Bama film before. Bama held on for the win against a vastly superior USC team. Is Bubba pulling a version of this? Probably not but its fun to think about what he may be scheming for next year since it's going to be such a tone setter.

I can't decide what camp I'm in:  on the one hand, you have, what appears, to be a complete lack of respect for the football program - stadium booked on the day of the spring game, moved to a facility that cannot handle a crowd, no video coverage of any kind.  On the other hand, maybe this is what the staff wants - be stealth now, and totally sneak up on people come next fall. 

This whole situation seems fishy. Bubba isn't stupid, and this situation almost seems to indicate the opposite from the outside. It reminds me of a 30 for 30 that I saw about USC and Bama home and home back in the day that helped Bear Bryant make a case for full integration on his football team. Bama got smashed in the first game so for the next years game, the season opener, Bear decided to have a closed fall camp. Nobody saw anything from Bama until they stepped on the field for the first game. They had ended up installing the wing t offense under the cover of a media blackout and pulled a fast one on USC and got a quick lead on them before they could adjust to the new offense that they hadn't seen on any Bama film before. Bama held on for the win against a vastly superior USC team. Is Bubba pulling a version of this? Probably not but its fun to think about what he may be scheming for next year since it's going to be such a tone setter.

Once again, it has nothing to do with "hiding" our offense and scheming behind the scenes.  If the Ball wasn't at the Alerus the game would have gone down as normal, with live video, etc.  I just think they gave up after seeing the limited abilities of Memorial.

Once again, it has nothing to do with "hiding" our offense and scheming behind the scenes.  If the Ball wasn't at the Alerus the game would have gone down as normal, with live video, etc.  I just think they gave up after seeing the limited abilities of Memorial.

I agree on that the staff isn't hiding anything but the Champions Ball was scheduled well before spring practice dates were announced.  I'd assume if they wanted to, they could have adjusted spring practice one way or another.  No clue if it was to inconvenient or why they choose not to? I don't think there would have been any issues with finals or anything like that if they would have started one week later.

I was told that the date and time of the game was all Bubba's call and he was not going to budge no matter how much AD staff tried to convince him otherwise. The AD staff tried to get an evening game on Thursday of this week so as not to conflict with the ball. But it was shot down. They are basically trying to make lemonade out of lemons. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I will be there and I will be there to watch a little spring football. I am really looking forward to it.  All the armchair marketing gurus on here have great ideas and their heart is in the right spots. AD has thought of all these things and more.  All that said, though --what's going to get the casual butts in the seats more than anything is to "just win, baby!!!!"  That's all I care about.  

• Upvote 1

I was told that the date and time of the game was all Bubba's call and he was not going to budge no matter how much AD staff tried to convince him otherwise. The AD staff tried to get an evening game on Thursday of this week so as not to conflict with the ball. But it was shot down. They are basically trying to make lemonade out of lemons. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I will be there and I will be there to watch a little spring football. I am really looking forward to it.  All the armchair marketing gurus on here have great ideas and their heart is in the right spots. AD has thought of all these things and more.  All that said, though --what's going to get the casual butts in the seats more than anything is to "just win, baby!!!!"  That's all I care about.  

You're ruining a lot of good conspiracy theories and hot takes with stuff like that.

You're ruining a lot of good conspiracy theories and hot takes with stuff like that.

Sorry.  :p   The stuff that is taking place down south right now with all the bells and whistles and marketing pizzazz is a product of years and years of ultra successful seasons. It's the gravy on top, you could say. We can't just skip steps and enjoy that kind of exposure.  We will get there and I trust Bubba to be the one that will lead us there. 

It doesn't bother me that we aren't giving Wyoming any extra film to study, especially when we are putting in some new schemes. Also, a scripted scrimmage of offense against defense will give the coaches a much better chance to evaluate the players they need to make decisions about. This game isn't televized because the coaching staff didn't want it to be televized... This year.

Seems to me this is a very dubious reason. EVERY college football team puts in new schemes/plays every year as their personnel changes. Most sane successful football programs try to turn their spring game/scrimmage into a major event.

Seems to me this is a very dubious reason. EVERY college football team puts in new schemes/plays every year as their personnel changes. Most sane successful football programs try to turn their spring game/scrimmage into a major event.

That's a non-issue now -- a canard. You can move along.

My question is who's driving the %gobc from the west Memorial lot to their multiple tables at the Champions Ball at the Alerus? They are going? They have multiple tables, ... right? #highrollers #bigspenders

I'm not even planning to bring any money. Figured they would pretty much buy every item.

Id love to see a highly promoted event however, with lack of depth still a concern I'm fine with the controlled scrimmage event.

Agree.  I think UND cranks the Spring game up next year with a fuller roster.

Everyone take a deep breath and relax.  Bubba was hearing from a lot of football guys that wanted to A) go to the Spring game B) go to the Gala (or wife's dragging them to Gala, either way)  So, it was his decision to have the game on the same day as the Gala to say to those that have some travel time, "I want you at both events".  I was told the entire coaching staff will be at the Gala and I have my shovel ready. (to dig up some info)  The casual fans will come around to a winning program, not because the Spring game is hyped up and made to be something more than it is.  NDSU isn't going to recruit with, our Spring game was televised.......