SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Spring Football

jdub27

While KVLY is televising the Bison spring game, couldn't WDAZ televise it? Very disappointed in the promotion of the game.

Not sure the capabilities of Memorial Stadium would handle it plus WDAZ doesn't hold the rights to UND sports, Midco is.

I'd guess they could maybe figure something out if they really wanted to but it is going to be a 60 play scrimmage, not a full game as it has been in the past.

Saw Iverson on campus today with his right arm in a sling.  Couldn't tell if it was a soft cast or just arm in sling.  Probably won't see him play Saturday.

Wonder when that happened?  Thought I saw him make a few nice plays on Saturday including a catch out of the backfield.  He has definitely trimmed down.  Wonder if he lost speed from the bulk he added?

Wonder when that happened? Thought I saw him make a few nice plays on Saturday including a catch out of the backfield. He has definitely trimmed down. Wonder if he lost speed from the bulk he added?

It's his shoulder. Didn't look like anything that will affect home for next season.
  • Upvote 1

I really don't understand why the UND athletic department won't rally around the football program and create some excitement.  Hockey is over and this is prime time to expand beyond just one sport.

I understood last spring game since the roster was a bit thin and incoming coaching staff only had a few weeks to work with the team.  But this year is different.  Coaches have had 3 sessions now (last spring, fall season, this spring).  Off season workouts were really positive.  Team and player development is leaps ahead.  Players are excited.  Who cares it is at Memorial, plus they have the new IPF in the background.  To me it is a great way to promote the team, players, coaches and IPF (maybe get some donations).  Plus they have people in town for the Champions Ball so why not promote this and get alumni and local fans out to the game.   

It makes me wonder if this low key, just a scrimmage, talk is being directed from Bubba.  His interviews are always so low key....it is ok to show some enthusiasm. 

• Upvote 1

My theory is that it is Bubba that is making the call on how the spring game is handled  - last year there were 3 tailgating groups - one was a group of graduating senior football players, Bubba stopped over and chatted and really didn't say much about the lack of promotion other than "We going to build it back up". I suppose there are some health and safety issues related to using the stadium along with alcohol on campus issues for tailgating which explains why they aren't encouraging it. 

To me it speaks volumes as to a lack of interest in making the spring game something bigger in that the Alerus wasn't available - that means no one was even tracking the date until it was too late.  

Wonder when that happened?  Thought I saw him make a few nice plays on Saturday including a catch out of the backfield.  He has definitely trimmed down.  Wonder if he lost speed from the bulk he added?

No clue.

I think he looks faster..definitely leaner and stronger.

My theory is that it is Bubba that is making the call on how the spring game is handled  - last year there were 3 tailgating groups - one was a group of graduating senior football players, Bubba stopped over and chatted and really didn't say much about the lack of promotion other than "We going to build it back up". I suppose there are some health and safety issues related to using the stadium along with alcohol on campus issues for tailgating which explains why they aren't encouraging it. 

To me it speaks volumes as to a lack of interest in making the spring game something bigger in that the Alerus wasn't available - that means no one was even tracking the date until it was too late.  

The Champions Club major fundraiser is the one using the Alerus Center, an event that is only held every other year.  The Champions Club and the Athletic Department were very much aware of the dates right from the beginning.  The date has been on the books for all involved for a long time, possibly more than a year.  It was definitely on the books last fall, so it was on the books long before spring practice was even scheduled.  This looks like a conscious decision, probably by the football program itself.  They could have moved things a week either way if they wanted to do something at the Alerus.

The Champions Club major fundraiser is the one using the Alerus Center, an event that is only held every other year.  The Champions Club and the Athletic Department were very much aware of the dates right from the beginning.  The date has been on the books for all involved for a long time, possibly more than a year.  It was definitely on the books last fall, so it was on the books long before spring practice was even scheduled.  This looks like a conscious decision, probably by the football program itself.  They could have moved things a week either way if they wanted to do something at the Alerus.

Originally I thought it was smart to have the Champions Ball and football spring game on the same weekend.  Again, added alumni and fans in town, enthusiasm with the IPF.  I thought it was brilliant.....but then they don't even capitalize on it by promoting the game.  People have been squawking that football games need to be back on campus....well.  They have totally missed the boat on this one IMO.

• Upvote 1

I'd consider fire faison over this major debacle

Why don't move circus to alerus center and put the ball in Ralph

As a %gobc, you should have known that the Champions Ball has been scheduled at the Alerus for a long time.  That's where all the high rollers hang out right?  UND wanted more room than they were able to get at the REA or Betty.  The circus has nothing to do with it.

UND wanted more room than they were able to get at the REA or Betty. 

Needing more space at a fund raiser is a good thing. 

The date's been set for a long time. If there was a conscious decision here it was by the football staff in setting its spring practice schedule. 

As a %gobc, you should have known that the Champions Ball has been scheduled at the Alerus for a long time.  That's where all the high rollers hang out right?  UND wanted more room than they were able to get at the REA or Betty.  The circus has nothing to do with it.

The circus also has a multi-year contract with the Ralph.  They can probably tell you the circus dates for the next several years if you ask.

I'm usually the last guy to make comparison's between North Dakota and NDSU, but this "Spring Game" thing is a little irritating to me.

NDSU Spring Game:  Carried live on statewide TV.

North Dakota Spring Game:  No bathrooms, but there will be Porta-Potties if we are lucky................................

• Upvote 4

I'm usually the last guy to make comparison's between North Dakota and NDSU, but this "Spring Game" thing is a little irritating to me.

NDSU Spring Game:  Carried live on statewide TV.

North Dakota Spring Game:  No bathrooms, but there will be Porta-Potties if we are lucky................................

Unbelievable that it has come to this.

It doesn't bother me that we aren't giving Wyoming any extra film to study, especially when we are putting in some new schemes. Also, a scripted scrimmage of offense against defense will give the coaches a much better chance to evaluate the players they need to make decisions about. This game isn't televized because the coaching staff didn't want it to be televized... This year.

I think the biggest beef is the total lack of effort put forth in trying to rebuild the football fan base - now perhaps the football staff has reasons for not wanting to promote the spring game - but getting the on the fence fans back starts with appealing to the hard-core fans - that would include those that are following spring football. They could have turned the issue of having the game at Memorial Stadium into something special - perhaps a "retro" event with old time jersey's, etc. But instead they just sat on their hands and basically did everything they could to discourage attendance. Yet there will still be hard-core fans that show up despite their efforts to discourage it - last year you would have never known there was a spring football event - the absence of UND staff outside with the few tailgaters that showed up and the lack of energy inside the building just made you shake your head - as much as they try there are still hard-core fans hanging on by our fingernails.     

It doesn't bother me that we aren't giving Wyoming any extra film to study, especially when we are putting in some new schemes. Also, a scripted scrimmage of offense against defense will give the coaches a much better chance to evaluate the players they need to make decisions about. This game isn't televized because the coaching staff didn't want it to be televized... This year.

That reason has absolutely nothing to do with it and is nonsense. They showed their entire offense all of 2014.