SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Spring Football

jdub27

They have tried big promo things in the past many times. Usually it turns out to be 40 degrees with a 30 mph wind or raining. Not their fault. The team just needs to win games.

It's been that but is has also been in the 60s. Even on a bad weather days there were true fans there tailgating - not asking for Alabama spring game effort but a little effort wouldn't hurt. 

Under the category of "What could have been".   :sad:

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2015/4/13/8405447/2015-huskie-bowl-spring-football-game-defense-dominates-but-offense

With three new starters, the Offensive line will get plenty of time this fall to get rolling and I fully expect the offense to be the team's strength. With Hare going into this season with a year of more experience and the anointed number one QB, the offense is loaded at the skill positions.  Especially with the addition of University of North Dakota wide receiver Kenny Golladay.

While you can't get too excited about a team's performance during an exhibition game, you can get a little excited about a player. Not necessarily an individuals success, but how he looks. Kenny Golladay passes the eye test.

At 6'4" he easily stands out physically. But he moves very fluidly and just looks every bit the part of a number one wide receiver:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9xu4vlUEZYExjjjlcf5ad2-9TfTuOLXOA/view

Sorry, but that's not good enough.   Need 8 wins to make the playoffs and that's the goal.   PLAYOFFS.    Anything less doesn't cut it.

If our defensive can take strides forward the way it did last season, and our offensive improves at all. It is possible. Our defense will need to steal us some games though. That is clearly the strong point of our game, and while our Offense may be improved, it likely won't be dominant. The biggest improvement on offense should be our ground game, which could be huge. Strong Defense, and an improved run game to control the clock. Who knows, all it could take is winning a game or two that you aren't expecting to be in the mix.

Under the category of "What could have been". :sad:

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2015/4/13/8405447/2015-huskie-bowl-spring-football-game-defense-dominates-but-offense

With three new starters, the Offensive line will get plenty of time this fall to get rolling and I fully expect the offense to be the team's strength. With Hare going into this season with a year of more experience and the anointed number one QB, the offense is loaded at the skill positions. Especially with the addition of University of North Dakota wide receiver Kenny Golladay.

While you can't get too excited about a team's performance during an exhibition game, you can get a little excited about a player. Not necessarily an individuals success, but how he looks. Kenny Golladay passes the eye test.

At 6'4" he easily stands out physically. But he moves very fluidly and just looks every bit the part of a number one wide receiver:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9xu4vlUEZYExjjjlcf5ad2-9TfTuOLXOA/view

I look forward to watching him in the NFL.

Sounds like there is a lot more give and take between the offense and defense in the scrimmages this spring season.

I don't expect UNDs passing game to light it up this season, but I expect the running game to hopefully improve, and it appears that it has with more OL experience and an upgrade at halfback with Arrington. Und's defense will be tough and the strength of the team, and with an improved running game, UND will definitely be a better team in 2015.

Caught a little bit of practice Saturday morning:

-Offense ran plays out of quite a few different formations, looks like they were working on bunching some WR's to help get them off the line untouched

-Luke Stanley looks like he could be a huge match-up nightmare with his size.  No clue how fast or quick he is as he only ran short and intermediate routes that I saw, but he's going to be able to go up and get some balls and the defense will have no chance

-Demon Taylor looked good in individual drills

-It looked like Reyes had soft cast on his wrist and wasn't practicing

-The OL/DL both won some battles, couldn't quite tell who had the upper hand

-Oscar Nevermann looked really good. My dislike for Craig Bohl grows further

• Upvote 1

-Offense ran plays out of quite a few different formations, looks like they were working on bunching some WR's to help get them off the line untouched

-Luke Stanley looks like he could be a huge match-up nightmare with his size.  No clue how fast or quick he is as he only ran short and intermediate routes that I saw, but he's going to be able to go up and get some balls and the defense will have no chance

Thanks for the update!!!

-Luke Stanley looks like he could be a huge match-up nightmare with his size. No clue how fast or quick he is as he only ran short and intermediate routes that I saw, but he's going to be able to go up and get some balls and the defense will have no chance

I did catch the practice as well.

Luke Stanley did have one nice deep catch that would've went for 6 on a fake end around post pattern. He has the potential to be a big receiving threat for the next 4 years for UND.

I hope the injury to Reyes isn't serious. His counterpart in the secondary at safety - Jawon Johnson - looked really impressive and he had an interception in skelly work. Pairing up Reyes and Johnson at safety will only make und's defense even more impressive.

Both QBs were fairly even, although I thought Bartels looked a bit better on Saturday. Lastly, I also thought Nevermann looked real quick and powerful running the ball. He wouldve been a great addition to add to Arrington and Norberg in the backfield. Bohl is a dick.

Could waiting a year for Nevermann turn out to work best for us? I don't think most see us being in they playoffs this year (unless our offense completely turns around) but next year is very plausible.

Take a look at the 2015 UND football schedule; no reason UND doesn't win at least 6 games. If UND can pull out one surprise and get to 7 wins, playoffs is very much so a possibility this season.

• Upvote 1

Take a look at the 2015 UND football schedule; no reason UND doesn't win at least 6 games. If UND can pull out one surprise and get to 7 wins, playoffs is very much so a possibility this season.

Drake, UC Davis, Idaho St, Montana St, UNC all at home and beatable, even MSU as UND played them close last season in Bozeman. At PSU, at Weber St, are also beatable so thats 6 maybe 7 wins right there, then you have the tougher games on the road, Wyoming, NDSU, Montana, Cal Poly if UND can get a W or 2 against those teams we could be playoff bound. 

My early prediction (which may change as we get close to September:

@ Wyoming L

vs Drake W

@ NDSU L

vs UC Davis W

@ PSU W

vs ISU  W

@ WSU W

@ Montana L

vs Montana St W  (big crowd will help with the W)

vs UNC W

at Cal Poly L

7-4 close to the playoffs

The only games I feel confident about putting in the win column are Drake and possibly UNC. Our program is no where near the point where we can start predicting that certain games can be classified as a win. Is Bubba doing some good things things with the program? Yes. But until it translates to victories on the field, I will continue to be cautiously optimistic. Remember, we lost to perennial cellar dweller Weber State at home last year.

• Upvote 1

The only games I feel confident about putting in the win column are Drake and possibly UNC. Our program is no where near the point where we can start predicting that certain games can be classified as a win. Is Bubba doing some good things things with the program? Yes. But until it translates to victories on the field, I will continue to be cautiously optimistic. Remember, we lost to perennial cellar dweller Weber State at home last year.

Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic, but I think you're being a bit too pessimistic here. UND football will have better depth and talent in 2015 relative to 2014, so there's no reason one can't assume UND football will be better in 2015. I certainly do not want to guarantee something like the playoffs, but barring major injury, UND should be no worse than 2014. Couple that with an easier schedule, and UND should win at least 5 to 6 games. Yes, UND lost to Weber State, but they had a true freshman QB playing. They then went on to improve, when they could have packed it in, and beat a ranked Northern Arizona team and UNC on the road. 

Bubba has this team improving, and although I think UND narrowly misses the playoffs in 2015, I do believe UND will have a winning record with either 6 or 7 wins. Steady improvement with high quality recruiting and teaching should be the expectation, and Bubba and his staff are living up to those expectations. 2016 should be the major breakout year, but there's no reason not to expect very good things in 2015. 

• Upvote 3

I think playoffs is a bit overly optimistic (as pointed out above) but I am optimistic that we will be in for some very competitive football. I believe 6 or 7 wins is not out of the question and if this team can be in some close games into the 4th quarter then anything can happen. 

I saw the competitivness improve last year and I see no reason why this trend will not continue as long as the team keeps grinding. Now that hockey is over the football bug has bit me and it is only April!

Based on what has been seen so far this spring, where do we see roster and depth holes that will need to be filled with freshman. Who will likely be making an immediate impact when they come in this fall? AND are we still looking at any potential FBS transfers?

Based on what has been seen so far this spring, where do we see roster and depth holes that will need to be filled with freshman. Who will likely be making an immediate impact when they come in this fall? AND are we still looking at any potential FBS transfers?

Skill spots on both offense and defense are the most open, or as you put it, are depth holes. That is, the RB/WR/DB types are the most likely to come in as true freshmen and play. The offensive linemen in the 2015 class are real talented, but I don't think any see playing time as a true freshman. Same goes for the defensive line and linebackers, although a case could be made for a true freshman linebacker to play some as a special teams guy. With that, I think the RB/WR/CB players are most likely to get a look at playing as a true Fr.

The staff is always looking for an FBS transfer if it's the right fit. Definitely think at least 1 FBS transfer joins the club after spring ball, likely an offensive skill player, although any player that makes the team better is a possibility.

I watched practice on Saturday and one thing that really stood out, Bubba has his players competing in every facet of the game. He started practice out on the 10 yard line going into the end zone. Offense has 3 plays to punch it in vs our defense. I would say the defense held it's own most of the time. This was great to see. We will be better then most think this year.

Glad to see they finally released something (using that very loosely) about Saturday. 

Fans planning to attend the event can park for free in both the west and north lots next to Memorial Stadium. Those lots will be open for fans starting at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning.

Memorial Stadium served as the home of UND football for 72 seasons from 1927 through 2000. The Alerus Center is unavailable for Saturday’s scrimmage due to the UND Alumni Association and Foundation Champions Ball to be held later that evening.

Because Memorial Stadium no longer features general amenities such as restrooms, concessions or in-game production, fans are encouraged to plan accordingly.

I know they are keeping it low key this year, but somewhat disappointed.  I see that they aren't promoting tailgating per se, but the lots open at 8am.  Draw your own conclusions I guess.