SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Spring Football

jdub27

I've wondered why Jake Hanson wasn't the holder for the PK. I hate having the first or second QB, or the P, as the holder for fear of them getting run over. When Hanson's eligibility clock was running anyway, he'd have been a perfect candidate.

But going to ILB? Don't most QBs that jump sides of the ball end up playing safety?

The ILB over safety decision is based on speed and quickness, I believe. Need quick hips to play DB.

Doesn't look like the weights were updated on the roster. That's one of the most intriguing things to look at after the winter season.

Looks like they updated Cox, no?  Up to 285.  Also looks like Jacob Francis was bumped up to 290.

Safe to say Will Rattelle weighs more than 230 though. I'm not sure why they'd only update a couple guys.

My thoughts too. Another thing I heard is Dranka is now over 250 and they are expecting really big things from him this year.

My thoughts too. Another thing I heard is Dranka is now over 250 and they are expecting really big things from him this year.

He Greeley and Harris should make a nice trio for the next few years. I hope Harris can be a 4 year stud because we really need that at nose. We had a stud in Big Snacks but he got too disenfranchised and left. Let's hope Harris can be that dancing bear we need.

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2015/03/20/2015-und-spring-football-info-thoughts/

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2015/03/25/spring-depth-chart-defense/

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2015/03/27/sfi-spring-depth-chart-offense/

http://m.kvrr.com/local-news/und-football-opens-spring-ball-practices/32061570

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3867095&db_oem_id=13500

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3708944-und-football-und-opens-spring-more-stability

Appears 2015 UND football team will again have its work cut out for it offensively, but will only improve defensively. Considering a relatively weak 2015 conference schedule and a more experienced squad, 2015 UND football season should be a winning one. Spring ball is important for depth development and a look at winter work-out results. Bubba has UND on the right track to sustained success.

• Upvote 2

Three areas of focus for 2015 spring ball, according to Bubba:

1) passing game

2) 3rd down defense/ deep ball coverage

3) net punting/ punt coverage

Quite shocking and relieved not to see:

Running the ball

Blocking

Tackling

If Bubba thinks those areas are solid, I like where this team is headed!!

Quite shocking and relieved not to see:

Running the ball

Blocking

Tackling

If Bubba thinks those areas are solid, I like where this team is headed!!

The areas you mentioned will ALWAYS be the fundamentals of UND football, but the three I mentioned were brought up by Bubba in the context that they were not done well last fall. Therefore, hoping for improvement there during spring ball.

When you have all 4 starting linebackers retuning from 2014, including the monster that is Will Ratelle, I think tackling will be just fine in 2015.

The areas you mentioned will ALWAYS be the fundamentals of UND football, but the three I mentioned were brought up by Bubba in the context that they were not done well last fall. Therefore, hoping for improvement there during spring ball.

When you have all 4 starting linebackers retuning from 2014, including the monster that is Will Ratelle, I think tackling will be just fine in 2015.

Seemed like in the past few seasons UND was bad in the 3 areas I mentioned, but it looked like it has improved somewhat last year despite injuries at the RB position and at QB. Blocking should help out whoever we have under center, I agree with Bubba on the punting, it wasn't good at all last season.

Here are my quick hitters from Wednesday practice:

Lots of sun and lots of wind... temps in the low 60s.

Offense:

1. Bartels looked sharp on his reads and was quicker in the pocket while Studsrud took more time.  A glass-half full guy would say #7 is just more patient, presumably because he knows he's got the wheels to bail him out if needed.

2. Clive Georges has good hands to go along with his speed. I have yet to see him drop a pass in his vicinity. The only thing, however, a stiff wind would blow him over -- thin as a rail, even in pads.

3. Cerrentino, Walker and Stanley look more confident out there. I was also impressed with the toughness and work habits of Mav Edmunds; he'll continue to be a quality utility guy wherever he's put. Bridges, Seibel and Reed round out the WRs, but Seibel and Reed have been without pads for the most part and take part in very limited action. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with Seibel. Just my gut. 

3. This just in: UND's running back corps is big. I think I saw Tom Miller blog that it might be one of the biggest in the BSC, and I think he's right. Arrington looks the part, so far, and we all know about Norberg and Sharp. New guy Blass is another one that goes against the grain of UND's lightweight running backs of year's past. Nevermann is supposed to be #30 according to the prospectus but I think he's wearing #5 -- if that's him.  He looks big on the field but also possesses some crispness to his running style versus a pound it forward and take what you can mentality. If that's not him... I apologize.

4. Luke Fiedler had a nice down field catch in traffic. He used all of his 6-5 frame to go up and pull one down in traffic, reminiscent of Ruhe's catch last year against Robert Morris that went for 30 yards. Fiedler's was of the longer variety.

5. Offensive line only had one bad snap, but it was pathetic, and it would have cost us mega yards.

6. Not a very good judge of line play so I will defer even though I know many on here really focus on that -- and rightly so. 

Defense:

1. Suffice it to say that all of these gentlemen were solid: Ratelle, Idowu, Rich, Labat. Outside of those men: Bakker and O'Brien were very noticeable as far as the linebackers are concerned.

2. I can't say enough how impressed I am with the look of the tandem of Jawon Johnson (33) and Cole Reyes (8) in the UND secondary. They bring a gritty and imposing presence to the field. They are big and rangy and they bring it every time. Johnson is still absorbing the system and misjudges some reads, but he looks good so far. Blackmon made his presence felt, too, on Wednesday.

3. Deion Harris continues to look good at the corner.

4. It's hard to judge DL play early in spring practices because they can't play to their full ability -- but they all got off the ball quick, with OK surge into the opposing backfield, and they had good moves to get around the edges and pursuit to the QB. I will say this -- we do have some very quick DEs who are deceptively strong.

Misc.

Several former players came out to watch practice Wednesday, including Tyree Ivery, Jer Garmin and interestingly, Josiah Montague, who was good enough to get his shirt pulled last year but did not return for his soph. year. He mainly stayed in the bleachers away from the action on the field. Misgivings?  I don't know.

• Upvote 4

The biggest unknowns are who's going to start at O-line, and who's going to step up at the Wide Out position next fall?  I think the O-line and how it shakes out will surprise some of us.  (I know we are unsettled at QB but we know it's going to be 1 of 3 guys, and we have an idea of skill sets at QB)

Great to hear about Bartels.   He's still my quarterback of choice and it looks like he's stepping up to the role perfectly and I'm not one bit surprised.

I still think Studsrud is the guy that fits best in this offense and is the guy the staff would have the best options with.  But it's also great to hear Bartels progressing as well.  We will need all 3 guys next fall and it should be a good competition.

Here are my quick hitters from Wednesday practice:

Lots of sun and lots of wind... temps in the low 60s.

Offense:

1. Bartels looked sharp on his reads and was quicker in the pocket while Studsrud took more time. A glass-half full guy would say #7 is just more patient, presumably because he knows he's got the wheels to bail him out if needed.

2. Clive Georges has good hands to go along with his speed. I have yet to see him drop a pass in his vicinity. The only thing, however, a stiff wind would blow him over -- thin as a rail, even in pads.

3. Cerrentino, Walker and Stanley look more confident out there. I was also impressed with the toughness and work habits of Mav Edmunds; he'll continue to be a quality utility guy wherever he's put. Bridges, Seibel and Reed round out the WRs, but Seibel and Reed have been without pads for the most part and take part in very limited action. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with Seibel. Just my gut.

3. This just in: UND's running back corps is big. I think I saw Tom Miller blog that it might be one of the biggest in the BSC, and I think he's right. Arrington looks the part, so far, and we all know about Norberg and Sharp. New guy Blass is another one that goes against the grain of UND's lightweight running backs of year's past. Nevermann is supposed to be #30 according to the prospectus but I think he's wearing #5 -- if that's him. He looks big on the field but also possesses some crispness to his running style versus a pound it forward and take what you can mentality. If that's not him... I apologize.

4. Luke Fiedler had a nice down field catch in traffic. He used all of his 6-5 frame to go up and pull one down in traffic, reminiscent of Ruhe's catch last year against Robert Morris that went for 30 yards. Fiedler's was of the longer variety.

5. Offensive line only had one bad snap, but it was pathetic, and it would have cost us mega yards.

6. Not a very good judge of line play so I will defer even though I know many on here really focus on that -- and rightly so.

Defense:

1. Suffice it to say that all of these gentlemen were solid: Ratelle, Idowu, Rich, Labat. Outside of those men: Bakker and O'Brien were very noticeable as far as the linebackers are concerned.

2. I can't say enough how impressed I am with the look of the tandem of Jawon Johnson (33) and Cole Reyes (8) in the UND secondary. They bring a gritty and imposing presence to the field. They are big and rangy and they bring it every time. Johnson is still absorbing the system and misjudges some reads, but he looks good so far. Blackmon made his presence felt, too, on Wednesday.

3. Deion Harris continues to look good at the corner.

4. It's hard to judge DL play early in spring practices because they can't play to their full ability -- but they all got off the ball quick, with OK surge into the opposing backfield, and they had good moves to get around the edges and pursuit to the QB. I will say this -- we do have some very quick DEs who are deceptively strong.

Misc.

Several former players came out to watch practice Wednesday, including Tyree Ivery, Jer Garmin and interestingly, Josiah Montague, who was good enough to get his shirt pulled last year but did not return for his soph. year. He mainly stayed in the bleachers away from the action on the field. Misgivings? I don't know.

How fast did George's look? Are we talking Hardin speed?