SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Starting Studs only makes sense.   I've never been a big fan of Mollberg, and I've sadly concluded that Bartels isn't going to fully get the job done either, so it may as well be Studsrud since he's the future of the program.   All I care about is making the playoffs and Studsrud gives us the best chance. And we had better make the playoffs, I'm sick and tired of no UND football after November.

I remember last year at the beginning of the year there was a lot of controversy by fans as to show should be starting after Joe struggled.  So while we were taking our lumps last year I thought....."well at least by the end of the year we'll know who are starting QB will be going into the next year".  Well then worse case scenario when Joe, and then Bartels went down.  Even if Joe went down, it would have been nice to at least see Bartels start and play the last 4 games of the year to see what he could do.  So at the end of the year we once again didn't know who would be our QB the next year......ugh the QB situation has been SO frustrating.   On the positive side of that, if Studsrud turns out to be the best QB.....at least he got some experience.

I remember last year at the beginning of the year there was a lot of controversy by fans as to show should be starting after Joe struggled.  So while we were taking our lumps last year I thought....."well at least by the end of the year we'll know who are starting QB will be going into the next year".  Well then worse case scenario when Joe, and then Bartels went down.  Even if Joe went down, it would have been nice to at least see Bartels start and play the last 4 games of the year to see what he could do.  So at the end of the year we once again didn't know who would be our QB the next year......ugh the QB situation has been SO frustrating.   On the positive side of that, if Studsrud turns out to be the best QB.....at least he got some experience.

To me, the situation appears to be the fact that all things being equal on what they are producing in practice, you go with the young guy who didn't get the chance to redshirt, because hypothetically his upside is bigger once he gets a comfort level.  If that isn't the case, then I would subscribe to the theory that if you have 3 quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks.  

The coaches see the little things everyday, and I'm not going to pretend to know what they know. 

If Bubba and Rudolph believe Studsrud should be the starter, then at this point I support that decision. 

Now, I can form a better opinion on that after I see some games. Because Wyoming is a joke and won't be televising or streaming the game, I may have to wait for the Potato Bowl and the NDSU game to actually get a good feel for how Studsrud will do this season. 

Just remember people, 2015 is a different season than 2014. 

The coaches see the little things everyday, and I'm not going to pretend to know what they know. 

If Bubba and Rudolph believe Studsrud should be the starter, then at this point I support that decision. 

Now, I can form a better opinion on that after I see some games. Because Wyoming is a joke and won't be televising or streaming the game, I may have to wait for the Potato Bowl and the NDSU game to actually get a good feel for how Studsrud will do this season. 

Just remember people, 2015 is a different season than 2014. 

Yeah, how the hell isn't there at least some crappy $10 feed I can buy and later complain about. I guess I'll have to get used to the hearing a freshman at the VOX position.

Yeah, how the hell isn't there at least some crappy $10 feed I can buy and later complain about. I guess I'll have to get used to the hearing a freshman at the VOX position.

Even Bemidji State has a feed. With commentary and everything. 

• Upvote 1

So............

Here's where I am at with the starting QB situation:  I've seen enough of Molberg and Bartels that I don't have a problem with Studsrud being number 1 right now.  In fact, the depth chart played out just like I thought it would.  That's how I'd rank the three guys if I had to, but Studsrud and Bartels would be pretty even.

The lack of discussion about the RB situation is more surprising to me.  After the criticism that Jake Miller and Jer Garmen endured regarding their small stature for basically all but 4 games of each of their careers, I figured there would be a bit more unrest about another smallish scat back being the top guy going into this year.

So............

Here's where I am at with the starting QB situation:  I've seen enough of Molberg and Bartels that I don't have a problem with Studsrud being number 1 right now.  In fact, the depth chart played out just like I thought it would.  That's how I'd rank the three guys if I had to, but Studsrud and Bartels would be pretty even.

The lack of discussion about the RB situation is more surprising to me.  After the criticism that Jake Miller and Jer Garmen endured regarding their small stature for basically all but 4 games of each of their careers, I figured there would be a bit more unrest about another smallish scat back being the top guy going into this year.

Not positive but I believe most think that's simply because of injuries. Should look different come next Saturday. 

So............

I think Jer also showed how useful a scat back can be last season which may have soothed some concerns.

I still see both Hartness brothers on the roster. This is 100% guess but I'm wondering if the staff asked them to come in when school starts once they lost a few kickers. I think they brought in two walk on kickers for depth midway through fall camp and you can only have so many kids in fall camp. Being the Hartness guys will redshirt anyways and a backup kickers are very important I could've seen that happening. Wondering if they won't be back at practice shortly along with other guys like Chad Bartosh (another nice ND addition). Again 100% guess. If they are still on the roster though it's a good chance they are still in the program.

i know nothing about them between the ears, but talent wise coming out of high school I think both would have a shot to play in a few years if they worked hard and follow the S&C program. Tristan at WR especially.

I still see both Hartness brothers on the roster. This is 100% guess but I'm wondering if the staff asked them to come in when school starts once they lost a few kickers. I think they brought in two walk on kickers for depth midway through fall camp and you can only have so many kids in fall camp. Being the Hartness guys will redshirt anyways and a backup kickers are very important I could've seen that happening. Wondering if they won't be back at practice shortly along with other guys like Chad Bartosh (another nice ND addition). Again 100% guess. If they are still on the roster though it's a good chance they are still in the program.

i know nothing about them between the ears, but talent wise coming out of high school I think both would have a shot to play in a few years if they worked hard and follow the S&C program. Tristan at WR especially.

I heard from a good source they are done with football at UND.

In regards to the QBs you can speculate all you want, but the reality when it comes to Mollberg is that he is not ready.  Joe is approximately ten months removed from not a tear, but a complete high rupture of the achilles.  This was a traumatic injury that many never recover from and he was told this by the team doctors from day #1.  The fact that Joe has worked hard to get back on the field and help his team in any way possible is a testament to his value to this team.  He was playing very well the weeks before he got hurt and it is unfortunate, but the reality of being a D1 athlete is that injuries happen and coaches move on.  I know Joe well and there is no one who wants more to see this team succeed than Joe.  Last week, during the heart of two a days, Mollberg missed 4-6 practices.  He would love the opportunity to contribute and play if he can, but right now, he is not there yet, and the coaches are doing the right thing in not pushing him too hard or too fast.  

In regards to the QBs you can speculate all you want, but the reality when it comes to Mollberg is that he is not ready.  Joe is approximately ten months removed from not a tear, but a complete high rupture of the achilles.  This was a traumatic injury that many never recover from and he was told this by the team doctors from day #1.  The fact that Joe has worked hard to get back on the field and help his team in any way possible is a testament to his value to this team.  He was playing very well the weeks before he got hurt and it is unfortunate, but the reality of being a D1 athlete is that injuries happen and coaches move on.  I know Joe well and there is no one who wants more to see this team succeed than Joe.  Last week, during the heart of two a days, Mollberg missed 4-6 practices.  He would love the opportunity to contribute and play if he can, but right now, he is not there yet, and the coaches are doing the right thing in not pushing him too hard or too fast.  

is there any possibility he tries to get a medical redshirt and sit out the year?

I don't think Seibel would be a surprise.  He just keeps getting better and now we expect it from him.  maybe Cerreteno will be a surprise.  I do expect Studsrud to have a break out year.  I think he is further ahead than most think he is.  On defense Deion Harris could have a break out year.

I don't think Seibel would be a surprise.  He just keeps getting better and now we expect it from him.  maybe Cerreteno will be a surprise.  I do expect Studsrud to have a break out year.  I think he is further ahead than most think he is.  On defense Deion Harris could have a break out year.

I was giving examples of last year with Seibel. 

Anyone watching the Bison-Griz game? Bison O went up field on the first drive like a hot knife thru butter. 

Griz look like crap to start the game on both sides of the ball. They are now going to a no huddle offense this year, I think our D will eat them alive.