SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

"Sack City" started out as a group of students in the front row putting up a sign in their front of the railing counting the sacks.

The Alerus started using it officially on the video boards for "funsies."

I guess those students graduated, and the Alerus thought it was pointless during the Muss era when there was one sack a game.

UND students learn the Hockey traditions by going to the games and having the same thing happen every game. After a couple of games they catch on. The first few games every year the freshman aren't involved but then they learn. Football has no traditions to start with it seems for students any more. It needs to start with gameday production. If every year the intro song and things are different its hard for students to get a tradition in for that similar to what they do with In the Air Tonight at the Ralph. They get pumped up to it because they know its time for UND HOCKEY, just like VT gets pumped to Enter Sandman. 

Agreed.  Seems like they're trying find something that sticks with people right away, but it can't stick if they keep changing it. 

I went to Red River's Homecoming game against West Fargo, and the 30-40 students that West Fargo that came along were more into that game than our students are.

I saw the Sack City sign as a Throwback Thursday just before the season started.... I took a screen shot but it is too big to post, apparently. I can try from my actual computer.

We might have a friend in common. Saw this on facebook as well.   11951792_10101528128270785_2086672680132

I remembered the sign being higher quality, but this would certainly be a step up over having no sign at all.

Since UND is in Centrals boundaries, the hockey only support must have spread.  Central has had absolutely atrocious student sections for years for everything but hockey.

Central had good sections when I was there. We also had more success at that time. Central is a joke for most sports right now. It's pretty sad.

Nothing wrong with the Alerus. Felt like it was about the right size of UND can get people to show up. 

Entrance was weak but I don't see that as a make or break deal. 

I don't see anything wrong that moving back to campus would solve.