SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

last I saw the lease with the Alerus expires February 2019. 3 more football seasons to go in there, unless it's renewed.

I'm pretty sure that the lease was extended when the new turf was put in. UND wanted to extend it since they put a significant amount of money into the turf. I think the lease was extended out to 10 years from when it was installed.

I'm pretty sure that the lease was extended when the new turf was put in. UND wanted to extend it since they put a significant amount of money into the turf. I think the lease was extended out to 10 years from when it was installed.

This was the only story printed I saw of the Alerus contract. 

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=3669256

The University of North Dakota signed a 10-year lease agreement today with the  Alerus   Center , the home of Fighting Sioux football since the 2001 season.

The Story was printed on February 13, 2009. I can't find anything about an extension when the turf was put in.

This was the only story printed I saw of the Alerus contract. 

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=3669256

The Story was printed on February 13, 2009. I can't find anything about an extension when the turf was put in.

The lease extension was part of the agreement to share cost of the new turf. It wasn't a revision of that lease contract or a separate contract. It was only a minor part of the language, so it probably didn't get a separate mention. But the agreement was to cover the first 10 years of the new turf. I don't know if the replacement of the turf after 1 year made any difference in that agreement.

The lease extension was part of the agreement to share cost of the new turf. It wasn't a revision of that lease contract or a separate contract. It was only a minor part of the language, so it probably didn't get a separate mention. But the agreement was to cover the first 10 years of the new turf. I don't know if the replacement of the turf after 1 year made any difference in that agreement.

Hopefully when that time is up there will be a remodel plan for Memorial Stadium, FBS talks and flying cars. 

I have been out of town for every home game so far this year, I know I will make a few coming up. 

If there intro video is that bad this year that is a big step back, they had a good video last year and I think I remember lights being off. 

Gameday experience is one thing that brings fans to the game especially if they are not students. There needs to be more going on besides ads during the TV timeouts etc than there was last year.

GW Gear was the UND apparel seller last year in the Alerus, I do know their sign is still up on the Columbia ave mini mall near Hugos, but there website hasn't had anything new in awhile so I do not know if they are still in business. 

I think the obvious and most realistic consensus is that the team needs to win, the seat will get filled, the energy will go up. The stadium still needs some tweaks and improvements, but it is not a bad facility overall. I don't personally care for the design, but that is personal preference.

That being said, if UND could secure funding to build a nice on campus stadium, would anyone really turn that down? (Assuming it is enclosed; I can't imagine the school would ever build an open air stadium). Maybe its a ways off OR maybe between donors, school fees, and state funds its not too far off. Either way, it would certainly be a nice addition to the program and the campus.

sioux stadium.jpg

Based on history of certain buildings, it appears the Alerus Center is now halfway through its life (I doubt it though. way too much money invested).

Those "fireworks" just seem like loud bangs and not much "fire." Move them over the endzones like at the Ralphs are over the goals. TWo per end. One on each side of the field goals.

Put in a bar/lounge for halftime where the merchandise sales/"pub 42"(or whatever its called).Sell the naming rights. Frame a few walls and and put in a bar and some tables. Not that hard. Plus it would free up the east side "hallway." Its almost impossible to walk around there at halftime and that's with a half full stadium.

Edited by Cratter

I think the obvious and most realistic consensus is that the team needs to win, the seat will get filled, the energy will go up. The stadium still needs some tweaks and improvements, but it is not a bad facility overall. I don't personally care for the design, but that is personal preference.

That being said, if UND could secure funding to build a nice on campus stadium, would anyone really turn that down? (Assuming it is enclosed; I can't imagine the school would ever build an open air stadium). Maybe its a ways off OR maybe between donors, school fees, and state funds its not too far off. Either way, it would certainly be a nice addition to the program and the campus.

sioux stadium.jpg

I don't think we will see a day where the state of North Dakota gives money for athletic projects.  Something like this would have to be done completely with private donations as I don't even know if raising student fees to cover is in the best interest of UND.  

When the time comes I would rather spend the private donations elsewhere in the athletic dept. and down the road see if anything can be done with the Alerus.  

Based on history of certain buildings, it appears the Alerus Center is now halfway through its life (I doubt it though. way too much money invested).

Those "fireworks" just seem like loud bangs and not much "fire." Move them over the endzones like at the Ralphs are over the goals. TWo per end. One on each side of the field goals.

Put in a bar/lounge for halftime where the merchandise sales/"pub 42"(or whatever its called). Frame a few walls and and put in a bar and some tables. Not that hard. Plus it would free up the east side "hallway." Its almost impossible to walk around there at halftime and that's with a half full stadium.

Not a bad point. I do think the natural light suggestions that some people have made would be a big improvement too. Walking around the concourse isn't very inviting, compare that to walking the concourse at the Ralph. Not saying the Alerus needs to match the Ralph, but they could close the gap a bit.

Not a bad point. I do think the natural light suggestions that some people have made would be a big improvement too. Walking around the concourse isn't very inviting, compare that to walking the concourse at the Ralph. Not saying the Alerus needs to match the Ralph, but they could close the gap a bit.

Yes. That's be great. OR put anything on the walls on the west side...Fatheads, backlit historical UND football pictures, etc.... While we're at it. Put drop ceiling tiles in the building. Sheetrock over all the ugly tin. And put down a an actual floor like tile over all the painted concrete.

Edited by Cratter

Yes. That's be great. OR put anything on the walls on the west side...Fatheads, backlit historical UND football pictures, etc.... While we're at it. Put drop ceiling tiles in the building. Sheetrock over all the ugly tin. And put down a an actual floor like tile over all the painted concrete.

I like the tin because it helps with crowd noise. Natural light and more UND stuff are the two things that would make the greatest impact for the least cost. Remember how much better the MetroDome got with its new roof?

I'm all for a new stadium if we could get the money, but I think the Alerus is great when you think location parking, tailgating and overall amenities. It's not REA (which we are extremely spoiled with) but it's easily a top 15 FCS facility factoring everything in.

For the cost of a new stadium UND could do everything it needs to do to the Alerus and then turn the Betty into one of the nicest ball facilities in the region.

Like all of your post, but especially this. It has gotten to the point where if it isn't just like REA, it sucks. Well, that is very myopic thinking. Most schools would kill to have something like the Alerus Center for football and in our climate, it is an absolute game-changer for us.

That is one of the problems with UND athletics right now, everything revolves around REA and Men's Hockey and everything else gets shoved to the side or to the back. We need to start putting an emphasis on lifting up our newly-minted Division I programs so they are bringing in revenue and garnering us some positive media attention.

• Upvote 2

Like all of your post, but especially this. It has gotten to the point where if it isn't just like REA, it sucks. Well, that is very myopic thinking. Most schools would kill to have something like the Alerus Center for football and in our climate, it is an absolute game-changer for us.

That is one of the problems with UND athletics right now, everything revolves around REA and Men's Hockey and everything else gets shoved to the side or to the back. We need to start putting an emphasis on lifting up our newly-minted Division I programs so they are bringing in revenue and garnering us some positive media attention.

will the winning is part of the problem. Other then Men's and Women's Hockey the only other programs that seem to win are swimming and diving In the individual categories, volleyball and women's basketball. 

08.jpg

That image is slowly coming together. :xmas:

Its been a while since I have been up to GF, but I assume that where they have that outdoor field is still a parking lot, correct? What a cool place to setup tailgating. Right off of University, right near the fraternities. Would be a great central spot for the homecoming parade to end. I remember being in the parade at homecoming, which was always fun, but then it just ended and everyone had to drive over to Alerus. Would be fun to just have everything on campus.

Yes, we are extremely spoiled. Have to remember than these types of things revolve around dominant winning programs that generate revenue. Like it or not, this is a money game. Winning in football and basketball will help.

Can we replicate a football stadium from the Ralph? Probably not, unless we get some huge donors. But if they do decide to put football on campus, they should certainly strive to make it similar. The Ralph is phenomenal, and was built the right way. Would be awesome to have a football stadium of that caliber.

I know basketball needs attention to, but the Betty is a very nice place. I wish they didn't have those tacky temporary bleachers behind each end though.

I love the idea of going back to campus.  However, if UND just puts another dome there, I think that would be a waste of money.  If UND is going to play in a dome, the Alerus Center is more than fine.  It just needs some tweaks; natural sunlight, merchandising, a bar, and a plan to increase seating in the future.  UND and the City could split those costs over time, and use the millions of dollars saved for other projects.  And I'm saying this as someone who would love to see UND play on campus again.  I just don't like the idea of putting a dome there.  If they have the funds, obviously a retractable roof would be really cool, but I think that's a pipe dream.  

I might be in the minority, but I like the idea of an outdoor stadium on campus.  Obviously attendance late in the season would be a major concern.  Is it possible to design an outdoor stadium in such a way to reduce wind impact and utilize infrared heaters to at least make spectators a little bit more comfortable than they would otherwise be on a cold day?  I notice some stadiums utilize this, but perhaps it's only effective during mildly cold temperature and wouldn't work in Grand Forks when it gets really cold.  Anyone have experience with this?  http://www.schwankgroup.com/products/stadium-heaters/

Yes, we are extremely spoiled. Have to remember than these types of things revolve around dominant winning programs that generate revenue. Like it or not, this is a money game. Winning in football and basketball will help.

Can we replicate a football stadium from the Ralph? Probably not, unless we get some huge donors. But if they do decide to put football on campus, they should certainly strive to make it similar. The Ralph is phenomenal, and was built the right way. Would be awesome to have a football stadium of that caliber.

I know basketball needs attention to, but the Betty is a very nice place. I wish they didn't have those tacky temporary bleachers behind each end though.

if basketball starts winning do they move next door or is the small barn better with all the fans on top of you

if basketball starts winning do they move next door or is the small barn better with all the fans on top of you

I actually think you stay in the Betty, and add some seats. I know they use a lot of that open space for practice, but I'd rather see some permanent seat go in each of the ends. I'm not a fan of basketball in the Ralph. Too big and too empty.

Edited by siouxfan512

The concourse of the Fargodome used to be exactly like the Alerus.  Then they decided to put NDSU football pictured up everywhere.  The Alerus needs to do this and make the Alerus Center the home of UND football.  Not just a tenant that rents the building a few times in the fall.

• Upvote 1