SiouxSports.com Forum

Arizona State D1 Hockey

IrishSiouxFan

Getting Iowa State spooled up and on board would be much better than adding Arizona State in my opinion.  Iowa State is located perfectly in the footprint, would add to the TV deal with their Cyclone TV and Big 12 connections, and would have much better fan support and would be a much better rival than sparky who would be looking to get out of the NCHC as soon as they lobbied enough PAC12 schools who want to fill the PAC12 Network with new content.  The Big 12 isn't going to have their own network and there is little risk of Iowa State ever leaving.

Iowa State needs to find the financial donor and the NCHC should be pushing hard to add them.  Then add Colorado State or BG.

There is not a better fit than Iowa State in my opinion.  Adding BG would then make it a tight 10.

nchc_map_with_logos.jpg

That is a solid plan, I would be all for that as well. Is it realistic to think ISU will add hockey as a D1 sport?

If Arizona State was added to the NCHC would WMU and Miami fans be happy if BGSU was added to make an even number?

Edit: I like Miami and WMU as conference members so I do not want to see them isolated out east.

That is a solid plan, I would be all for that as well. Is it realistic to think ISU will add hockey as a D1 sport?

If Arizona State was added to the NCHC would WMU and Miami fans be happy if BGSU was added to make an even number?

Edit: I like Miami and WMU as conference members so I do not want to see them isolated out east.

“@LetsPlay_Hockey: Iowa State University is still pursuing a Division I men’s hockey varsity program. The logical league for them to join would be the WCHA.”

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?100654-Iowa-State-pursuing-D1-Hockey

Miami "fans" would be happy with a ASU/BG set-up if it was determined to increase value to the conference.  It all comes down to travel and travel costs for the Miami Admin.  BG would help that out.  There were also rumblings about Miami players having to adjust to much more time on the road compared to what they were used to.  Many Miami fans really miss the "old" CCHA with Notre Dame, Michigan, Mich State, OSU but realize they left us and not the other way around and a "new" CCHA would be just awful.  I just think Iowa State would be a much better add then Arizona State.

In my opinion, this could end up being the best of both worlds for Miami.  I think it was a great idea to tweak the Pairwise rules a while back to give more emphasis to quality ROAD wins.  This prevents Michigan and Notre Dame refusing to play anybody on home and home set-ups and play only at their place like they routinely do in football and basketball.  If they try that in hockey then they will suffer in Pairwise and lose NCAA tourney appearances.  Best rule ever.  Because of this rule, once U of M and Notre Dame come to their senses, then Miami can lock-in some long-term scheduling agreements with ND, UofM, MSU, Ohio State, and BG out of conference and then play in the much better NCHC in conference.  So far only Ohio State and of course BG are playing us out of conference after Michigan and Notre Dame told our Athletic Director they only wanted to play us at their barns and then we said "yeah right".  I think Michigan State is open to playing us but it just hasn't been worked out yet.

• Upvote 2

“@LetsPlay_Hockey: Iowa State University is still pursuing a Division I men’s hockey varsity program. The logical league for them to join would be the WCHA.”

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?100654-Iowa-State-pursuing-D1-Hockey

Miami "fans" would be happy with a ASU/BG set-up if it was determined to increase value to the conference.  It all comes down to travel and travel costs for the Miami Admin.  BG would help that out.  There were also rumblings about Miami players having to adjust to much more time on the road compared to what they were used to.  Many Miami fans really miss the "old" CCHA with Notre Dame, Michigan, Mich State, OSU but realize they left us and not the other way around and a "new" CCHA would be just awful.  I just think Iowa State would be a much better add then Arizona State.

In my opinion, this could end up being the best of both worlds for Miami.  I think it was a great idea to tweak the Pairwise rules a while back to give more emphasis to quality ROAD wins.  This prevents Michigan and Notre Dame refusing to play anybody on home and home set-ups and play only at their place like they routinely do in football and basketball.  If they try that in hockey then they will suffer in Pairwise and lose NCAA tourney appearances.  Best rule ever.  Because of this rule, once U of M and Notre Dame come to their senses, then Miami can lock-in some long-term scheduling agreements with ND, UofM, MSU, Ohio State, and BG out of conference and then play in the much better NCHC in conference.  So far only Ohio State and of course BG are playing us out of conference after Michigan and Notre Dame told our Athletic Director they only wanted to play us at their barns and then we said "yeah right".  I think Michigan State is open to playing us but it just hasn't been worked out yet.

Honestly, I would rather have BG over WMU. I don't think Iowa State would fit into the WCHA very well, they would most likely rather be in a conference with academically likeminded institutions (Miami, UND, Denver).  I'd hate to see you guys go due to travel expenses, I think Miami v. UND could become the next great annual rivalry right up there with UND v. DU. I like the idea of Iowa State but it appears that ASU may be closer to pulling the trigger than the Cyclones, at least on the surface it does.

I haven't hard anything about the possibility of a new CCHA, link? I think Miami would stay but I wouldn't at all be sad to watch Western Mich. depart. I'm honestly not sure what they bring to the table.

I have no clue what the powers-that-be were thinking when WMU was put on the table to join the NCHC. Andy Murray as coach and what else, exactly? BGSU has more history, more loyal fans, and a bigger rink. I'd have taken a second school in Ohio any day over WMU. Hell, I'd take Ferris State over WMU too.

I have no clue what the powers-that-be were thinking when WMU was put on the table to join the NCHC. Andy Murray as coach and what else, exactly? BGSU has more history, more loyal fans, and a bigger rink. I'd have taken a second school in Ohio any day over WMU. Hell, I'd take Ferris State over WMU too.

They are full DI and the BGSU program was on the chopping block at that point, that's all I can come up with.  

If you rewind 3 years ago WMU for the first time in their history were playing good hockey under Blashill. The NCHC always wanted more than the original 6 and the thought then was that Notre Dame and WMU would be 7 and 8 and them and Miami would make a good eastern wing. WMU was on the fence for getting an invite and was lobbying hard to get in. Im not sure if you remember or heard outside of the CCHA but the WMU athletic director had this huge "Why Western" campaign with videos and a website and the whole nine yards. They were making promises of a fancy new coach and a new $65 million hockey arena, etc. After Notre Dame bolted for Hockey East to have their own TV deal, the NCHC still wanted 8 and after already been talking with WMU for the months before went ahead and offered them and St. Cloud. Had ND accepted, St. Cloud would have been out. BG was playing terrible hockey at the time and wouldn't promise any upgrades and was passed on. Western made promises but hasn't followed through (at least yet).

BG is very bitter at Miami and WMU and is the catalyst of all the "new" CCHA talk. They've lobbied and made a bunch of noise to Miami, WMU and Atlantic Hockey schools who want to offer full scholly allottment to form a "new" CCHA. They want Buffalo to start a program and want Ferris to join. Getting BG in the NCHC will calm all the talk of realignment in my opinion but I only want them in if they upgrade their program and fully resource it. If they are fully resourced and upgrade facilities they have potential. WMU needs to follow through to.

I think eventually BG may succeed in a new CCHA with Ferris and Atlantic Hockey schools but Miami won't be joining. It would be a signal that BG has thrown in the towel at competing at ice hockey at the top level and just want to manage costs. Miami wants nothing to do with that and would be seen as a huge step back. Miami could have stayed in the original CCHA is that was their intentions.

• Upvote 1

Getting Iowa State spooled up and on board would be much better than adding Arizona State in my opinion.  Iowa State is located perfectly in the footprint, would add to the TV deal with their Cyclone TV and Big 12 connections, and would have much better fan support and would be a much better rival than sparky who would be looking to get out of the NCHC as soon as they lobbied enough PAC12 schools who want to fill the PAC12 Network with new content.  The Big 12 isn't going to have their own network and there is little risk of Iowa State ever leaving.

Iowa State needs to find the financial donor and the NCHC should be pushing hard to add them.  Then add Colorado State or BG.

There is not a better fit than Iowa State in my opinion.  Adding BG would then make it a tight 10.

nchc_map_with_logos.jpg

Iowa State definitely gives the Target Center tournament another "'local" team.  But not at all convinced that Iowa State jumps unless another P5 school can be convinced.  ISU needs to tighten their relationships with UT and OU, because if either jump the Big 12, ISU will be a pauper and probably couldn't afford hockey.  Having ASU at least gives the NCHC more of a big time feel in the eyes of the media, so maybe ISU would consider it.  No offense to MAC schools and others, but being in a league with only G5 and lower level schools doesn't say much about ISU's status.  ISU won't besmirch their reputation unless at least another P5 team is in the NCHC.

ASU is the wet dream of most NCHC school admins.  Only UT and OU and USC might be bigger.   The majority of NCHC schools would absolutely love the thought of making a trip to Tempe.  So many alums and NoDak retirees live in the Phoenix area, that its almost a second home for most of the UND nation.   Practically every airport in ND has direct flights to Mesa on Allegiant  (so does CVG, and its cheap with you plan ahead).  I would go so far as to say if it came down to ASU vs Miama or WMU, ASU would win out easily.  Phoenix is almost viewed as part of our region:  Chicago and east is not.   Miami and WMU fans don't khow how much UND (and DU, CC, UNO, SCSU, UMD, and UNO) admin would value ASU.  If ASU means that Arizona, UNLV, Utah, USC, and Stanford later add teams, so much the better. 

If you rewind 3 years ago WMU for the first time in their history were playing good hockey under Blashill. The NCHC always wanted more than the original 6 and the thought then was that Notre Dame and WMU would be 7 and 8 and them and Miami would make a good eastern wing. WMU was on the fence for getting an invite and was lobbying hard to get in. Im not sure if you remember or heard outside of the CCHA but the WMU athletic director had this huge "Why Western" campaign with videos and a website and the whole nine yards. They were making promises of a fancy new coach and a new $65 million hockey arena, etc. After Notre Dame bolted for Hockey East to have their own TV deal, the NCHC still wanted 8 and after already been talking with WMU for the months before went ahead and offered them and St. Cloud. Had ND accepted, St. Cloud would have been out. BG was playing terrible hockey at the time and wouldn't promise any upgrades and was passed on. Western made promises but hasn't followed through (at least yet).

What is the status of WMU's new rink?  TV exec's surely wanted WMU rather than BGSU in the NCHC, because the Kalamazoo region has so many more people then Bowling Green.  WMU is much more similar to UND because WMU has an aerospace school too.

It sounds to me Bowling Green wants to be the one calling the shots in a hockey conference, or at least have more of a say then they are probably getting in the WCHA. If Bowling Green wants to get a invite to the NCHC they better put more of an effort into their hockey program, and not let it get on life-support again.

Iowa State would be a program to add to the NCHC, if I remember right the Hilton Coliseum has ice making ability. Arizona State and Iowa State would be playing in facilities mainly used by basketball until they build a hockey arena that seats at least 5,000. 

Two other Ohio schools that could go D1 are Cincinnati and Ohio. Cincinnati has an 10,000 seat arena they share with Xavier University's hockey team, the Cincinnati Gardens. I'm sure the Cincinnati Gardens will need updates and Cincinnati has the U.S. Bank Arena on the waterfront that they might have to use if they went D1 and joined the NCHC. Ohio University would need a donor to get their program to a D1 level including an arena.

Arizona surprisingly plays in an arena that seats at least 5,000 for hockey. There has been talk in Tucson about a new convention center and a plan to renovate the Tucson Convention Center where Arizona plays.

I don't know why Lindenwood hasn't taken advantage of the 9,643 seat Family Arena in St. Charles. I don't see Lindenwood in the NCHC but they'd be a good fit in the WCHA men's and women's. A former CCHA team, St. Louis University, has a 10,600 seat Chaifetz Arena. With how popular hockey is and talent coming from the St. Louis area you'd' think Missouri, St, Louis, and Lindenwood would think of making the jump to D1.

I never understood why Colorado and Colorado State don't have D1 hockey.

What ever happened to the talk of Nebraska coming on line with D1 hockey and lacrosse?  Granted, no impact on the NCHC because they would already have conference affiliation in the B1G, but with all the expansion talk I was curious.

Brand new, multi-purpose arena generated some buzz.  But if I remember correctly, they made some 11th hour cost-cutting decisions and hockey was significantly de-prioritized.  Still a physical possibility for the facility, but D1 hockey seems further off now than before and during construction.

There is still a lot of suspicion of AD Trev Alberts and his motivations for killing UNO's football program.  If big N were to go forward in hockey and compete directly with UNO, that could get interesting.

It sounds to me Bowling Green wants to be the one calling the shots in a hockey conference, or at least have more of a say then they are probably getting in the WCHA. If Bowling Green wants to get a invite to the NCHC they better put more of an effort into their hockey program, and not let it get on life-support again.

Iowa State would be a program to add to the NCHC, if I remember right the Hilton Coliseum has ice making ability. Arizona State and Iowa State would be playing in facilities mainly used by basketball until they build a hockey arena that seats at least 5,000. 

Two other Ohio schools that could go D1 are Cincinnati and Ohio. Cincinnati has an 10,000 seat arena they share with Xavier University's hockey team, the Cincinnati Gardens. I'm sure the Cincinnati Gardens will need updates and Cincinnati has the U.S. Bank Arena on the waterfront that they might have to use if they went D1 and joined the NCHC. Ohio University would need a donor to get their program to a D1 level including an arena.

Arizona surprisingly plays in an arena that seats at least 5,000 for hockey. There has been talk in Tucson about a new convention center and a plan to renovate the Tucson Convention Center where Arizona plays.

I don't know why Lindenwood hasn't taken advantage of the 9,643 seat Family Arena in St. Charles. I don't see Lindenwood in the NCHC but they'd be a good fit in the WCHA men's and women's. A former CCHA team, St. Louis University, has a 10,600 seat Chaifetz Arena. With how popular hockey is and talent coming from the St. Louis area you'd' think Missouri, St, Louis, and Lindenwood would think of making the jump to D1.

I never understood why Colorado and Colorado State don't have D1 hockey.

Bowling Green had a president that studied dropping hockey.  They are embarrassed that they got stuck in a DII league without Miami and WMU and their admin takes it personally.

I don't think Cincinnati or Colo St would consider hockey unless and until they get into a P5 conference.  Football stadiums are too big a priority.

Ohio schools that should nave hockey aspiration are Akron and Wright State: both have on campus rinks.,

Lindenwood should be a full DII member soon, so it can start DI hockey for men.  The women's hockey program is not DI, but intercollegiate level which makes it easier to DII.

What ever happened to the talk of Nebraska coming on line with D1 hockey and lacrosse?  Granted, no impact on the NCHC because they would already have conference affiliation in the B1G, but with all the expansion talk I was curious.

Nebraska was given $7 million from John Breslow to build a hockey arena for the University of Nebraska. John Breslow was a owner of the Phoenix Coyotes. The Breslow Ice Center is suppose to be built next to Haymarket Park. The City of Lincoln has yet to give it approval because of costs, it is planed to have two NHL size ice sheets seating for 750 and it was also going to be used by youth leagues in Lincoln. The Breslow Ice Center has nothing to do with Nebraska moving to the B1G hockey conference.      

"That's the $60 million question.

According to sources, that's the magic number, and a private donor from the Detroit area has pledged $30 million. Sources also say two other private donors have each committed $10 million.

If true, WMU seems well on its way to replacing 40 year-old Lawson Ice Arena.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2013/08/western_michigan_ad_kathy_beau_5.html#04

Western Michigan has plans they keep throwing out there but need to wrap up funding and get some shovels in the ground. They recently diverted money that was supposed to go toward a new basketball scoreboard and gave hockey a new one instead.

Nebraska was given $7 million from John Breslow to build a hockey arena for the University of Nebraska. John Breslow was a owner of the Phoenix Coyotes. The Breslow Ice Center is suppose to be built next to Haymarket Park. The City of Lincoln has yet to give it approval because of costs, it is planed to have two NHL size ice sheets seating for 750 and it was also going to be used by youth leagues in Lincoln. The Breslow Ice Center has nothing to do with Nebraska moving to the B1G hockey conference.      

Based on my experience in Omaha for the outdoor game a couple years ago, I don't think Nebraska can support another Division I hockey team. Everything in that state revolves around Nebraska football and that is all anyone knows. We were out at the bars after the Friday night game a few blocks from the hockey rink and we were asked numerous times throughout the night what all this Sioux gear around the bars was all about. We said UND is playing UNO in an outdoor hockey game tomorrow and played indoors that night. Most had no idea the event was going on and even said we don't care about anything other than Cornhusker football around here.

Based on my experience in Omaha for the outdoor game a couple years ago, I don't think Nebraska can support another Division I hockey team. Everything in that state revolves around Nebraska football and that is all anyone knows. We were out at the bars after the Friday night game a few blocks from the hockey rink and we were asked numerous times throughout the night what all this Sioux gear around the bars was all about. We said UND is playing UNO in an outdoor hockey game tomorrow and played indoors that night. Most had no idea the event was going on and even said we don't care about anything other than Cornhusker football around here.

Creighton sure draws some monster crowds so I wouldn't say that Husker Football is the only thing Nebraskan's care about.

Creighton basketball averaged 17,200 fans over the 17-game home season last year. Good for 7th best in the nation. UNO needs to work on getting more of that.