SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

Geez even when you are trying not to troll you just can't help it can you. So you give Weber State props for playing "inspired football" and giving FU a game - but I guess there's no chance that UND couldn't do the same? And the only reason a kid would pick ANY other school other than FU is because they got more money or were offered more playing time?  Now it's not just two sentence trolling now you're writing books - I have to think there is better things you could do with your time and we'll all be glad when you discover what that is.

I think you might have me confused with someone else. I don't believe I have a history of ever being a troll around here, but I don't think it's going to make any difference to you. Maybe I'm understanding the Weber situation wrong here. Explain to me what UND has to do with the Bison vs Weber game. I must have missed something. I also could have added a few more things to the recruit list of reasons, like majors at the school, proximity to home, or maybe even a parent or brother played there. I just used the couple I did because it pertained directly to football. So, go back and read my post again, and this time try, try real hard, to understand that I'm not trolling but just an avid fan. If you're still angry after that, and you still think I should go find something else to do, then just put me on ignore and I'll quit replying to you. 

trolling is one thing but name calling should be dealt with immediately. Sic is nice to throw out warnings here and there so hopefully we can have a respectful conversation...or close to it.

Oh, I get it now; trolling is fine, but calling out the trollers is not tolerated.

With this type of policy, I hope no one wonders why some of the football threads have 30 - 40% of their posts from bison fans. Good grief.

Oh, I get it now; trolling is fine, but calling out the trollers is not tolerated.

... is being on a rival's forum for the sole purpose of jumping in (where on topic) to provide a counterpoint being a troll? We all do hold rivals' fans to different standards than our own (e.g. if a UND fan had the posting history of the Bison fan in question, no one would have even raised an issue), but where's the line between troll vs. discussion participant with a different point-of-view?

I didn't think UND was a rival of NDSU anymore, NDSU is so much better than UND and shouldn't lower themselves to play us. They have much bigger rivals such as SDSU and NIU (insert sarcastic face).   I think it's funny how most Bison fans didn't even want to renew the UND-NDSU game anymore because they were on to such bigger and better things.  But yet keep coming to our site, and their students try to pull pranks at our University etc. etc.

I post on here because I like to see other perspectives.  UND students/fans did a minor prank too back in 2010.  Don't know if there was much of an uproar. 

Just because Bison fans post on here doesn't make them a troll.  I like having other contructive insight but I will admit it has to be difficult when people get attacked as soon as they post something that is disagreeable to certain fans on the message board.  It quickly escalates into a pissing contest and that pretty much sucks all around.   In general I haven't found things to be all that bad on the message board but I certainly haven't looked over everything. 

I'll get us back..... if UNI loses to WIU (who played NDSU really tough) what's the odds they stay in the polls.

Good question Darrell.

I think it all depends on whether or not it's a close game. All of the teams in the MV FC are vastly superior to anyone in any other conference, as is pointed out on this website at least 100 times per month.

During the conference regular season, MVFC basically stands for Moral Victory Football Conference. If ya keep it close, you don't drop much in the polls.

Oh, you've clearly got it under control ;)

It's the age old question on sports fan forums... is being on a rival's forum for the sole purpose of jumping in (where on topic) to provide a counterpoint being a troll? We all do hold rivals' fans to different standards than our own (e.g. if a UND fan had the posting history of the Bison fan in question, no one would have even raised an issue), but where's the line between troll vs. discussion participant with a different point-of-view? We tend to define trolls as people whose posting history indicates they're clearly only here to try to annoy or taunt (see the administrative forum for much more discussion on this).

As I've said in other threads, for whatever reason NDSU fans definitely have a renewed interest in UND this Fall. That has clearly changed the tenor of a lot of these discussions. So, we're definitely keeping an eye on things and trying to figure out what's best for the community. We're making adjustments, but it's admittedly slow. It's also not on topic in this forum, so we'd all be happy to continue it via PM or in the administrative forum.

giphy.gif

I post on here because I like to see other perspectives.  UND students/fans did a minor prank too back in 2010.  Don't know if there was much of an uproar. 

I think you missed my point.  I think most UND people still felt NDSU was our biggest rival even when we were no longer in the same conference and not playing.  Our school and our fans wanted the UND - NDSU football game.  NDSU and their fans thought felt they had other bigger rivals now, and were on to bigger and better things and weren't too interested in renewing the series.  So that was my point, that you guys didn't want to play us, and stating we are not your biggest rivals anymore, yet you guys are all over our board and your homecoming court is  doing pranks on us.  As far as pranks, I'm totally ok with that and actually kind of like it as long as there is no actual damage etc. done.  I think that is part of a rivarly and part of the fun.   Just curious if you make as many posts on SDSU and NIU's site.  I'm sometimes ok with Bison fans posting, but am just so tired of the holier-than-thou attitude of NDSU and their fans after winning a couple of titles.

Another hijacked thread but what the heck. The reality is you can't come onto another fan bases site, publicly state you hate their team and hope they lose every game, have a majority of your posts being smack or helpful "reality checks" and then think you will be welcomed when you do have an occasional comment that is just part of the conversation. The problem is we all know you are two-faced.

• Upvote 2

Another hijacked thread but what the heck. The reality is you can't come onto another fan bases site, publicly state you hate their team and hope they lose every game, have a majority of your posts being smack or helpful "reality checks" and then think you will be welcomed when you do have an occasional comment that is just part of the conversation. The problem is we all know you are two-faced.

Besides, Johnboy is also a Cheatin' Irish fan, so that's really TWO strikes against him right out of the gate...

You summed it up perfectly. Well done!

Montana at #11 sitting with 3 losses so far, not too sure about that one.  They have not looked very impressive and this last loss wasn't close.

I agree, I thought Montana was over rated when they were still at #7 before.  Although if Adams isn't back by the time Montana plays EWU I'm thinking Montana beats them.  I think part of the issue is that after the top rated team, non of the others teams really seem that scary so traditionally strong teams will remain ranked high.   EWU can be scary with Adams but their defense is so poor, makes them less scary even when they have him.

Besides, Johnboy is also a Cheatin' Irish fan, so that's really TWO strikes against him right out of the gate...

That goose egg from earlier this year must hurt a little worse knowing something like 4 or 5 Irish starters missed the game. 

I think you missed my point.  I think most UND people still felt NDSU was our biggest rival even when we were no longer in the same conference and not playing.  Our school and our fans wanted the UND - NDSU football game.  NDSU and their fans thought felt they had other bigger rivals now, and were on to bigger and better things and weren't too interested in renewing the series.  So that was my point, that you guys didn't want to play us, and stating we are not your biggest rivals anymore, yet you guys are all over our board and your homecoming court is  doing pranks on us.  As far as pranks, I'm totally ok with that and actually kind of like it as long as there is no actual damage etc. done.  I think that is part of a rivarly and part of the fun.   Just curious if you make as many posts on SDSU and NIU's site.  I'm sometimes ok with Bison fans posting, but am just so tired of the holier-than-thou attitude of NDSU and their fans after winning a couple of titles.

Hey dont let a few speak for the majority ok. Just because its posted on BV doesnt mean it the view of the fan base as a whole. Those who post on a fan message board are a very small number and are usually on the fringe when it comes to fandom. I dont know how many people I have asked ---are you on BV.  80-90% have never heard of it. The other 19.9% said they knew about it but would never post there.

Not any difference here.

But back to the point. UND is our real rival. There are those that run around with their fingers in their ears but it will change nothing.

Hey dont let a few speak for the majority ok. Just because its posted on BV doesnt mean it the view of the fan base as a whole. Those who post on a fan message board are a very small number and are usually on the fringe when it comes to fandom. I dont know how many people I have asked ---are you on BV. 80-90% have never heard of it. The other 19.9% said they knew about it but would never post there.

Not any difference here.

But back to the point. UND is our real rival. There are those that run around with their fingers in their ears but it will change nothing.

NDSU has a tremendous DI football program. With that said, you can't rewrite over a 100 years of tradition and history in just 10 years.

UNI and SDSU are not the biggest rivals for NDSU. UND (Grand Forks) and NDSU (Fargo) will always be each-others number 1 rival.

I don't go on BV but it sounds like that is the opinion there too.  I've seen some Facebook posts from people in the past year saying they'd rather NDSU play other schools and not waste their time with UND.  Then I also this past February when I was with my long time HS friend who went to NDSU about if the rivalry should be renewed, and just kinda shrugged and was like.....ehh, basically saying that nah we are past you guys and there is nothing good in it for us anymore.  And this is a close friend who we went to the two schools in maybe the best part of the rivalry...early 90's who lived some of those great games so I thought he would agree it would be awesome to have that game back, and even he didn't really want it back. I agree UND-FB-FAN......they will always be our biggest rival.   Out of teams we play regularly now I would say our biggest rival is easily Montana, but that doesn't come close to the UND-NDSU rivalry. 

I don't go on BV but it sounds like that is the opinion there too. I've seen some Facebook posts from people in the past year saying they'd rather NDSU play other schools and not waste their time with UND. Then I also this past February when I was with my long time HS friend who went to NDSU about if the rivalry should be renewed, and just kinda shrugged and was like.....ehh, basically saying that nah we are past you guys and there is nothing good in it for us anymore. And this is a close friend who we went to the two schools in maybe the best part of the rivalry...early 90's who lived some of those great games so I thought he would agree it would be awesome to have that game back, and even he didn't really want it back. I agree UND-FB-FAN......they will always be our biggest rival. Out of teams we play regularly now I would say our biggest rival is easily Montana, but that doesn't come close to the UND-NDSU rivalry.

All of the bull$%!# will melt away once that ball is kicked next fall.
  • Upvote 1

I don't go on BV but it sounds like that is the opinion there too.  I've seen some Facebook posts from people in the past year saying they'd rather NDSU play other schools and not waste their time with UND.  Then I also this past February when I was with my long time HS friend who went to NDSU about if the rivalry should be renewed, and just kinda shrugged and was like.....ehh, basically saying that nah we are past you guys and there is nothing good in it for us anymore.  And this is a close friend who we went to the two schools in maybe the best part of the rivalry...early 90's who lived some of those great games so I thought he would agree it would be awesome to have that game back, and even he didn't really want it back. I agree UND-FB-FAN......they will always be our biggest rival.   Out of teams we play regularly now I would say our biggest rival is easily Montana, but that doesn't come close to the UND-NDSU rivalry. 

NDSU fans saying the rivalry with UND is gone or doesn't mean anything is just idiot speak.  Valley News had a story last night on the big NDSU/SDSU rivalry for a lame rock and it wasn't even believable.  For the new comers (mostly the elitist Bison fans that jumped on the Band Wagon 4 years ago even though they graduated from Concordia) and for those with short memories the game next year will bring things back to life.

I guess I don't want to play UND anymore because I don't see anything to gain out of it. Look at recruiting right now. NDSU is dominating ND and Minnesota FCS talent.

If the rolls were reversed, why would you even want to give NDSU the sniff of an opportunity to gain credibility through a win? Not saying I am scared. I am very confident NDSU will crush UND next year, but stranger things have happened.

I think there is also a small fraction of fans who want UND to burn for as long as possible for ending the rivalry in 2003 when we moved up. You guys can point to the whole D2 wins playoff argument but the fact simply is that the rules for D2 playoff games were changed that summer. Admit it or not, Roger Thomas thought he would be burying NDSU buy not playing them. It turned out to be the exact opposite . I guess a lot of NDSU fans don't feel like helping UND out by giving you a shot at getting a jump start for your program, when UND would not help NDSU out when we struggled to find games. For the record I am not one of those guys. I don't dwell on the past.

I guess I don't want to play UND anymore because I don't see anything to gain out of it. Look at recruiting right now. NDSU is dominating ND and Minnesota FCS talent.

If the rolls were reversed, why would you even want to give NDSU the sniff of an opportunity to gain credibility through a win? Not saying I am scared. I am very confident NDSU will crush UND next year, but stranger things have happened.

I think there is also a small fraction of fans who want UND to burn for as long as possible for ending the rivalry in 2003 when we moved up. You guys can point to the whole D2 wins playoff argument but the fact simply is that the rules for D2 playoff games were changed that summer. Admit it or not, Roger Thomas thought he would be burying NDSU buy not playing them. It turned out to be the exact opposite . I guess a lot of NDSU fans don't feel like helping UND out by giving you a shot at getting a jump start for your program, when UND would not help NDSU out when we struggled to find games. For the record I am not one of those guys. I don't dwell on the past.

The whole state would gain something from it.  Have you ever watched the NFL films bit on the UND/NDSU rivalry.  If not go ahead and google it, watch it, then see what you think about the game.

Why play us in any sport if there is "nothing to gain". It's a DI OOC game, a win goes towards the playoff goal of 7 or 8 wins (whatever the criteria is). If you guys want to not play us have the balls to say it to the media that NDSU will not play UND in anything. Then go ahead with Weber State, Ferris St, Morgan St and Wagner, but at the same time troll on UND's fan site, smack talk about them in about a hundred threads on your fan site, and then bring up about "crushing us". Because everything works out on paper (or a monitor). Who needs to play the game.