SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

You guys are precious.  Remember the Mid-80s?  (probably not since most Bison "fans" these days couldn't recall 2008, let alone the 80's)  

But the gap was as big as it possibly could have been in 1985-88.  

Hey......I was in undergrad school in the 80s......and as of yet have no signs of dementia...so I remember those days. ;)

Nice picture...I like this one better:

NDSU_ESPN_GameDay_Canvas_Print.jpg?ad6ce

The advantages I was referring to really are obvious if you let yourself see them.

Either that or they aren't nearly as important as you believe they are.  Indoor practice facility or appearance on television, who can tell which is more important. :whistling:

"Remember when GameDay was in Fargo."

"Yeah, that was awesome. What year was that again?"

"Remember when we had the High Performance Center / Indoor Training Facility ... "

"You mean that building right there?" < points > 

Either that or they aren't nearly as important as you believe they are.  Indoor practice facility or appearance on television, who can tell which is more important. :whistling:

We're talking about recruiting 18 year-olds. An appearance, or two, on national TV obviously.

Umm, your picture shows a field.

And on the other side of the field it shows a building under construction.  The building is an indoor practice facility with a full football field.  You might want to have your vision checked.  I knew the poor Bison fans would be confused by the picture. 

I would think that most athletes would appreciate a great practice facility they can use all winter over a television show being shot in the same city once or twice.  It's not like the players were actually down watching the show live.

And on the other side of the field it shows a building under construction. The building is an indoor practice facility with a full football field. You might want to have your vision checked. I knew the poor Bison fans would be confused by the picture.

I would think that most athletes would appreciate a great practice facility they can use all winter over a television show being shot in the same city once or twice. It's not like the players were actually down watching the show live.

In all seriousness it is a fantastic practice facility. Hats off to UND for getting this built. It will be a boost for your program.

I will also say that NDSU uses the Dome for practice whenever it really needs to plus has the bubble being built right now. Don't know if we will ever really need something like this.

Is that why they were practicing in Grand Forks last year practicing?

I will also say that NDSU uses the Dome for practice whenever it really needs to plus has the bubble being built right now. Don't know if we will ever really need something like this.

If the Dome is available any time NDSU needs it, then the folks running the Dome probably aren't doing the job they should be of keeping the building busy.  And bubbles have been known to collapse.  The permanent building that is dedicated to UND sports is a better option than the combo of Dome/bubble.  Especially when you consider that the track teams, baseball team and more are also going to be able to train in the building.

If the Dome is available any time NDSU needs it, then the folks running the Dome probably aren't doing the job they should be of keeping the building busy. And bubbles have been known to collapse. The permanent building that is dedicated to UND sports is a better option than the combo of Dome/bubble. Especially when you consider that the track teams, baseball team and more are also going to be able to train in the building.

Track at NDSU already has an indoor facility being built.

And on the other side of the field it shows a building under construction.  The building is an indoor practice facility with a full football field.  You might want to have your vision checked.  I knew the poor Bison fans would be confused by the picture. 

I would think that most athletes would appreciate a great practice facility they can use all winter over a television show being shot in the same city once or twice.  It's not like the players were actually down watching the show live.

That non-descript construction site may one day have a field, but it does not now have anything that could called a field anymore than it has walls or a complete roof. No reasonable person would use the plural "fields" when referring to that picture.

This is the second time BisonAlumni 11 has ruined this thread.   That takes talent.  

As I stated earlier, if you have the pulse of the bison faithful as you claim in that the Bisons don't want the game, why don't you put pressure on your new AD to buy out the game?    Why are you coming on SiouxSports to complain about playing UND, when YOUR AD set the terms of the deal?   

If I have the last few pages correct:

1) NDSU fans are still whining about 2003 and Roger Thomas, and will be 50 years from now.

Once you've been burned in a business deal, prudence demands that you think twice before you sign another deal with the same organization.  

2) NDSU fans only want to play UND if they have some advantage, like an additional 27 scholarships.

Umm, how many times has NDSU did play UND with the same number of scholarships? And wasn't it NDSU who made (and signed) the current offer in the first place?

3) NDSU fans are so insecure that they have to flock to a UND sports forum to puff out their chests and brag about how great their school and football team are. They also have to keep telling everyone how much they don't care about UND.

Not true.  Very few NDSU fans would say they don't care about UND. We don't like you much, and we're not much interested in scheduling you. But that's not the same thing is it? 

4) NDSU fans believe that their buttfootball team will be on top forever, even though no team has ever been able to do that.

No team has been able to stay on top forever, but some teams do stay consistently above others. On balance, NDSU has had a much more successful football program for 50+ years (11>1). Given the current state of NDSU's program, there's no reason to believe that won't continue.

5) NDSU fans some how think they have an insurmountable lead of some kind over UND, even though there is no such thing.

There is no such thing. But you're delusional if you don't recognize that NDSU does have a big advantage over UND now.

6) NDSU fans obviously don't actually trust their own team to beat UND.

Don't worry about NDSU fan's faith in their team. We're not worried about losing to anyone, and we very rarely do lose to anyone...anyone.

7) 20 something NDSU fans believe they are smarter than anyone else.

Unless you're 45 years old, I attended my first NDSU sporting event before you were born.

Have I missed anything?

So to sum it up, Bison fans are scared this deal happened because they aren't confident they will win or else they wouldn't come up with excuses why the game shouldn't be played. I read more praise for signing a h/h with EWU and WSU than a 2 for 0 with UND. You guys get 2 home games 4 years apart and you are still bitching? Did you guys expect UND to spot you a 40 point lead to start the game too? I think it must be that 4-1 UND lead in the Fargodome.

UND didn't break a signed deal.  Roger Thomas refused to sign a deal.  Major difference.  And continuing to whine about it makes you sound like children.

You wanted to keep playing the series when NDSU was going to have a 27 scholarship advantage.  Now the only way that NDSU will play is if they get to play at home.  NDSU will only play UND if they are given some kind of advantage.  They are afraid to play on a level playing field.  And even on those terms, when the future games were announced the NDSU staff acted like they would have like to be any place but announcing the contract.

A group of NDSU fans keep telling us that they don't care about UND, and that UND is no longer a rival.  They keep telling us about these huge rivals in UNI and SDSU.  And they keep doing it on this forum over and over and over and over again.  We think thou dost protest too much.

During that 50 year period UND has surpassed NDSU multiple times for extended periods.  This too will happen again no matter how much you believe otherwise.

No one ever claimed that NDSU doesn't have an advantage right now.  But only the delusional would believe that UND won't overcome that advantage at some point, whether the football teams ever play on the field.  That delusional group seems to include you and many other Bison fans.  The pendulum will swing back and forth, just as it has done for decades.  And when UND has the advantage you will either be making excuses (Division II made NDSU have the same number of scholarships as everyone so it ruined their advantage) or continuing to whine about Roger Thomas (probably both).

If you really had confidence in NDSU's ability to beat UND you would be looking forward to the games to prove it on the field and actually be able to brag about it.  Right now you're just blustering on a rival's forum.

I'm several years older than 45, so I've probably been going to UND games as long as you have been going to NDSU games.  And that comment was mainly aimed at a 2011 alum of NDSU who acts like he knows everything when his comments show that he doesn't. 

• Upvote 1

UND didn't break a signed deal.  Roger Thomas refused to sign a deal.  Major difference.  And continuing to whine about it makes you sound like children.

You wanted to keep playing the series when NDSU was going to have a 27 scholarship advantage.  Now the only way that NDSU will play is if they get to play at home.  NDSU will only play UND if they are given some kind of advantage.  They are afraid to play on a level playing field.  And even on those terms, when the future games were announced the NDSU staff acted like they would have like to be any place but announcing the contract.

A group of NDSU fans keep telling us that they don't care about UND, and that UND is no longer a rival.  They keep telling us about these huge rivals in UNI and SDSU.  And they keep doing it on this forum over and over and over and over again.  We think thou dost protest too much.

During that 50 year period UND has surpassed NDSU multiple times for extended periods.  This too will happen again no matter how much you believe otherwise.

No one ever claimed that NDSU doesn't have an advantage right now.  But only the delusional would believe that UND won't overcome that advantage at some point, whether the football teams ever play on the field.  That delusional group seems to include you and many other Bison fans.  The pendulum will swing back and forth, just as it has done for decades.  And when UND has the advantage you will either be making excuses (Division II made NDSU have the same number of scholarships as everyone so it ruined their advantage) or continuing to whine about Roger Thomas (probably both).

If you really had confidence in NDSU's ability to beat UND you would be looking forward to the games to prove it on the field and actually be able to brag about it.  Right now you're just blustering on a rival's forum.

I'm several years older than 45, so I've probably been going to UND games as long as you have been going to NDSU games.  And that comment was mainly aimed at a 2011 alum of NDSU who acts like he knows everything when his comments show that he doesn't. 

That is one thing that I don't understand. Seems like they were very vocal prior to the game being contracted. And now all of their pumping of the chest over what looks like a blowout on paper and in theory, is now fright, and worrisome over the reality of the game being played in 324 days, and how it will affect their team especially in a loss.

So to sum it up, Bison fans are scared this deal happened because they aren't confident they will win or else they wouldn't come up with excuses why the game shouldn't be played. I read more praise for signing a h/h with EWU and WSU than a 2 for 0 with UND. You guys get 2 home games 4 years apart and you are still bitching? Did you guys expect UND to spot you a 40 point lead to start the game too? I think it must be that 4-1 UND lead in the Fargodome.

Darell,

Which team has more to gain from this game being played? If UND loses so what. It isn't like their team can get worse. NDSU fans fear what could happen to their program in the case of a loss. I kind of equate it to sleeping with the hot slut at a party. Is fun and easy to do and probably nothing going to happen, but why take the chance at getting burned? 

I believe Taylor stated that the Weber game was agreed to in part because they had difficulty filling the schedule and also due to the fact that Weber gave us games during the transition. The EWU game is due to NDSU wanting to schedule top tier non conference games. Started with the Montana and Montana State deals.