SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

Darell,

Look at the difference in schedule between WIU and UND. Try, just try, to take the blinders off for a second.

WIU has played 4 games against top 25 FCS teams. #1 NDSU, #9 Illinois State, #17 Youngstown State and #20 Southern Illinois. They have also played two games against FBS Big 10 teams in Wisconsin and Northwestern.

UND has played against two ranked FCS teams in #7 Montana and #10 Montana State. They played one FBS game against Mountain West San Jose State. Their remaining games have come against unranked FCS teams.

UND has beat 3 unranked FCS teams and has a record of 3-4. WIU has a record of 3-5 with one of their wins coming against #17 Youngstown State. Do you think there is a chance, just a chance, WIU has had a significantly more difficult schedule than UND, which would explain any statistics you are throwing out?

WIU is a bottom feeder in Missouri Valley, similar to Missouri State, but as shown this entire year, even bottom feeder Missouri Valley teams are pretty darn good considering the only non conference FCS loss by a Missouri Valley team was South Dakota against Montana. When UND played a physical Missouri Valley team what happened? An absolute ass pounding 0-38 loss.

NDSU has had a lot of tough close fought games against Missouri Valley teams through the last 3 years. In the last 3.5 years, NDSU has a record of 50-2. Those two losses were against Missouri Valley teams. All the teams in the conference are tough. Did they play well against WIU, no, but I guess at the end of the day what I am saying is WIU is a pretty decent team. Nothing that UND has done this year would tell me that UND is anywhere near capable of beating NDSU.

I could agree to this if its for one off games. If the Bison had all of these teams on their schedule, then I think they win one or two.

Completely agree. The Bison at FCS strength simply would not have the same position depth that a Big 10 school does. Injuries would be inevitable over the course of a full-time Big 10 schedule and that could have a great effect on NDSU's chances.

Darell,

Look at the difference in schedule between WIU and UND. Try, just try, to take the blinders off for a second.

WIU has played 4 games against top 25 FCS teams. #1 NDSU, #9 Illinois State, #17 Youngstown State and #20 Southern Illinois. They have also played two games against FBS Big 10 teams in Wisconsin and Northwestern.

UND has played against two ranked FCS teams in #7 Montana and #10 Montana State. They played one FBS game against Mountain West San Jose State. Their remaining games have come against unranked FCS teams.

UND has beat 3 unranked FCS teams and has a record of 3-4. WIU has a record of 3-5 with one of their wins coming against #17 Youngstown State. Do you think there is a chance, just a chance, WIU has had a significantly more difficult schedule than UND, which would explain any statistics you are throwing out?

WIU is a bottom feeder in Missouri Valley, similar to Missouri State, but as shown this entire year, even bottom feeder Missouri Valley teams are pretty darn good considering the only non conference FCS loss by a Missouri Valley team was South Dakota against Montana. When UND played a physical Missouri Valley team what happened? An absolute ass pounding 0-38 loss.

NDSU has had a lot of tough close fought games against Missouri Valley teams through the last 3 years. In the last 3.5 years, NDSU has a record of 50-2. Those two losses were against Missouri Valley teams. All the teams in the conference are tough. Did they play well against WIU, no, but I guess at the end of the day what I am saying is WIU is a pretty decent team. Nothing that UND has done this year would tell me that UND is anywhere near capable of beating NDSU.

Some of this makes sense, some not.  Please expand........don't get it.

• Upvote 1

Darell,

If we all agree with you that the Bisons are better than UND at this moment, would you then shut the #@&% up?

• Upvote 3

Michigan State would beat NDSU by 2 TDS if not more but NDSU would beat at least half of the Big 10 teams.

Hang with NDSU this year? No. Not a chance. NDSU' s defense is far and away the best in the FCS this year and UND's offense is less than stellar. Pretty confident that UND would not score more than once. Name a physical running attack that has tested UND this year? Maybe Missouri State and what happened?

Frankly, I think NDSU Michigan State would be closer than UND NDSU this year. Sagarin spread projections would support that statement. 11 months from now, NDSU will have a very different team and that game definitely could be close.

We understand you're one of those people who thinks NDSU is untouchable. Too bad that's not reality buddy.

UND has beat 3 unranked FCS teams and has a record of 3-4.

Kind of sounds like UND should be ranked right around UNI then?

PS - Weber St still hasn't won a game.  Guess the Big Sky bottom feeders aren't too bad either?

Western Illinois was just pounding Illinois State this past week until the end when the Birds made a comeback to win a close one.  They have played some very solid games but have been on the short end of the stick.  UND wouldn't win at Western Illinois this year.

27-6 midway thru the 3rd quarter is now "just pounding" an opponent?  I figured this must have been some epic comeback until I read the box score.  Illinois State scored with over 2:00 left in the 3rd to make it 27-13 at the end of 3, certainly not out of the realm of possibility in terms of a comeback.  That being said, it still must have been a crazy 4th quarter with ISU scoring 24 points to ISU's 7.   

We understand you're one of those people who thinks NDSU is untouchable. Too bad that's not reality buddy.

Oh I definitely do not think they are untouchable. In fact I still think a Missouri Valley team will beat them this regular season. I just don't think UND could hang with them, as Darrel claimed.

Why do UND fans keep bringing up Weber State. Did Weber State ever lead in the game? Did they win they game? Last time I checked, NDSU was never behind and won the game by 3 scores.

Michigan State would beat NDSU by 2 TDS if not more but NDSU would beat at least half of the Big 10 teams.

Hang with NDSU this year? No. Not a chance. NDSU' s defense is far and away the best in the FCS this year and UND's offense is less than stellar. Pretty confident that UND would not score more than once. Name a physical running attack that has tested UND this year? Maybe Missouri State and what happened?

Frankly, I think NDSU Michigan State would be closer than UND NDSU this year. Sagarin spread projections would support that statement. 11 months from now, NDSU will have a very different team and that game definitely could be close.

Two words: Stony Brook Defense

Use your heads, you have to take into account who they play.  NDSU plays a tougher schedule while allowing less PPG and also have given up chunks of yards with 3rd stringers in at the end of games.  Stony doesn't play backups when they are struggling to win games. 

Take it up with the numbers, not me.

Use your heads, you have to take into account who they play.  NDSU plays a tougher schedule while allowing less PPG and also have given up chunks of yards with 3rd stringers in at the end of games.  Stony doesn't play backups when they are struggling to win games. 

Kinda like Sagarin. 

Darell,

WIU has played 4 games against top 25 FCS teams. #1 NDSU, #9 Illinois State, #17 Youngstown State and #20 Southern Illinois. They have also played two games against FBS Big 10 teams in Wisconsin and Northwestern.

So there is no way UND can hang with NDSU? Is that what was said before Indiana St beat you at the dome in 2012? Prior to that game ISU beat Drake, SIU, Missouri St and Quincy. One good team but still couldn't hang with the Bison right?

Darrel,

Indiana State might have had one of the best running backs in the FCS that year and had a pretty stout defense. Did not surprise me. Again it was a valley team. Outside of USD, every one of those valley teams would be a contender in most conferences.

Hypothetically make the playoffs and maybe you will have your chance.

this bull !@#$ yopic comes up every year it is like a broken record, just stop!  NDSU recruited number 1,2,3 out of Nebraska this year. they are head and shoulders above the fcs. every team can have a hiccup, but it is the total body of work that creates dynastys.

The logic behind this is flawless... You do realize that every successful comeback in the history of sports gets closer and the game gets closer to the end, right?

Please...the original post made it sound like it was Buffalo Bills over Houston Oilers 1993 material...

this bull !@#$ yopic comes up every year it is like a broken record, just stop! NDSU recruited number 1,2,3 out of Nebraska this year. they are head and shoulders above the fcs. every team can have a hiccup, but it is the total body of work that creates dynastys.

This BS topic was started by a Bison fan. Take it up with him.