SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Polls Week of 10-20-14

Matt

My perspective on this goes back to '82.  I know some on here predate that.

I have never...ever...witnessed a recruiting season where anyone associated with the ac-from coaches to fans- acknowledged a losing recruiting year vs UND.

Doesn't matter who is coaching or what the records are.

UND having a better recruiting season than the ac has simply never happened.

It's like bigfoot or the yetti...or the female sexual prime.

It doesn't exist.

• Upvote 1

My perspective on this goes back to '82.  I know some on here predate that.

I have never...ever...witnessed a recruiting season where anyone associated with the ac-from coaches to fans- acknowledged a losing recruiting year vs UND.

Doesn't matter who is coaching or what the records are.

UND having a better recruiting season than the ac has simply never happened.

It's like bigfoot or the yetti...or the female sexual prime.

It doesn't exist.

We can all agree it sure hasn't happened in the past 10 years.  But before that...

We can all agree it sure hasn't happened in the past 10 years.  But before that...

Of course, educated observers of the conference through the 90s know the ac was out recruited by probably 3 conference teams.  But there's no one in Fargo that would acknowledge such a thing.

I know you were already called out on this, but wow....talk about a flat out lie.  Pelini may have some issues, but you seriously thought NDSU went into Big Red's backyard and took the top 3 guys in the state. This 24/7 list shows you got #'s 11 and 12.  SDSU had #'s 7 and 8.  Rivals gives you #'s 5, 8 and 10. But keep going with what you said. If you repeat it enough, it has proven to become a fact with the FU faithful. 

For the record, not knocking these kids, just amazed that you actually thought that.

So a kid gets hurt his senior season and he shouldn't going to get recruited by anyone?  Obviously you proved how big of a "fan" you were with the previous post, but NDSU and all other schools do continue to look at players they were previously interested in even if they get hurt. Pretty certain NDSU has gotten some players that have slipped through the crack due to injuries in high school (or not being academically qualified, etc).

Just off the top of my head, while he's no longer with UND, Jameer Jackson would have easily played for NDSU.  And as a true freshman, Dev Ferguson is well on his way as well.

Oh come on FU never loses a recruit to UND, they get every player they go after and always will. The way things are now is the way they always will be.

'27, '23:

Settle down boys or I'll start using some of the other buttons on my screen.

Go right ahead and ban us both; I'd take that trade off any day. It's pathetic the mods allow a thread to be taken over by trolls that misquote something darell said on another site, namely bisonville.

Here's another fact, You are a F@#$@#$@#$ F$%. Cry some more why don't you. Why don't you go back and see what I posted that made you whine so damn much.

Why are you here? To set us poor lost Sioux souls straight? You are here to argue, period. You are not a fan. That is the very definition of a troll.

Count yourself lucky I don't know where your mom's basement is.

• Upvote 1

Go right ahead and ban us both; I'd take that trade off any day. It's pathetic the mods allow a thread to be taken over by trolls that misquote something darell said on another site, namely bisonville.

It wasn't bisonville, it was anygivensaturday.com, which has basically become BV2.0

Not wanting to get into a pissing match with you guys, however I kind of want to throw my $.02 in on a few things I've read in this thread. Didn't read the whole thread, because frankly I get tired of seeing trolls get so many replies from people when they could simply be ignored. Some of the stuff that fans of each fan base throw out there is completely ridiculous sometimes and I think people just say those things for the sake of pissing each other off.

I'm gonna be the first to say that apparently Weber St isn't as good of a team as maybe a lot of us Bison fans thought they were. But on that Saturday, they played some inspired football and gave us more of a challenge than we thought they would. Does anyone here understand the concept of matchups in sports? How one team matches up with a team and can be totally different than how they match up against another. I think that game was a good example of that. I also don't believe in the common opponent comparison for this reason. At the end of the day, for me, it really only matters how many wins and losses a team ends up with.

I think it was in this thread that I noticed the FBS/Big10 schedule come up and how NDSU would fare against that level of competition. I'm not going to be the NDSU fan that says we'd roll everyone, bring on 'bama, etc etc. First, it's not going to happen anytime soon, so to speculate how we'd do is a waste of time. Do I think we'd be competitive with several FBS schools if we had the same amount of scholorships, had an equal amount of home and away games, and had the advantage at that point to out recruit any FCS schools in the area (and maybe a few FBS schools too?)? Absolutely. I grow tired of people minimizing our FBS wins (all road wins) and follow it up with this argument about how we couldn't handle the full Big12/10 etc conference.

I'm bringing up this last subject again because any fan of UND that is competant should be able to realize that NDSU has owned the states of ND, Minnesota, and SD in recruiting the last several years. Does that mean we've gotten everyone we wanted? No. Does it mean we've lost a battle or two to some other MVFC or BigSky schools? Sure. If a kid is offered a partial versus a full and there are other things to consider like playing time, doesn't it make sense to pick a certain school over the other? Yes.

Just wanted to throw in my opinion, and it was not intended to be trollish at all, sorry if a few of you perceive it that way. I'm all for some friendly banter and good football discussion so if there's something I said that rubs you the wrong way, fine, let me know and we can talk about it like adults. And please don't throw the usual "Why are you even here? This is a UND site." because I've been here for awhile and have supported your hockey program a lot. And we have renewed the rivalry game sort of so there's that.

Not wanting to get into a pissing match with you guys, however I kind of want to throw my $.02 in on a few things I've read in this thread. Didn't read the whole thread, because frankly I get tired of seeing trolls get so many replies from people when they could simply be ignored. Some of the stuff that fans of each fan base throw out there is completely ridiculous sometimes and I think people just say those things for the sake of pissing each other off.

I'm gonna be the first to say that apparently Weber St isn't as good of a team as maybe a lot of us Bison fans thought they were. But on that Saturday, they played some inspired football and gave us more of a challenge than we thought they would. Does anyone here understand the concept of matchups in sports? How one team matches up with a team and can be totally different than how they match up against another. I think that game was a good example of that. I also don't believe in the common opponent comparison for this reason. At the end of the day, for me, it really only matters how many wins and losses a team ends up with.

I think it was in this thread that I noticed the FBS/Big10 schedule come up and how NDSU would fare against that level of competition. I'm not going to be the NDSU fan that says we'd roll everyone, bring on 'bama, etc etc. First, it's not going to happen anytime soon, so to speculate how we'd do is a waste of time. Do I think we'd be competitive with several FBS schools if we had the same amount of scholorships, had an equal amount of home and away games, and had the advantage at that point to out recruit any FCS schools in the area (and maybe a few FBS schools too?)? Absolutely. I grow tired of people minimizing our FBS wins (all road wins) and follow it up with this argument about how we couldn't handle the full Big12/10 etc conference.

I'm bringing up this last subject again because any fan of UND that is competant should be able to realize that NDSU has owned the states of NDSU, Minnesota, and SD in recruiting the last several years. Does that mean we've gotten everyone we wanted? No. Does it mean we've lost a battle or two to some other MVFC or BigSky schools? Sure. If a kid is offered a partial versus a full and there are other things to consider like playing time, doesn't it make sense to pick a certain school over the other? Yes.

Just wanted to throw in my opinion, and it was not intended to be trollish at all, sorry if a few of you perceive it that way. I'm all for some friendly banter and good football discussion so if there's something I said that rubs you the wrong way, fine, let me know and we can talk about it like adults. And please don't throw the usual "Why are you even here? This is a UND site." because I've been here for awhile and have supported your hockey program a lot. And we have renewed the rivalry game sort of so there's that.

And most UND fans are "competent" enough to know about the states of SD and MN. Just maybe not the state of NDSU?

Also, if you "grow tired" of people on a UND site not giving you the love you need, even though you are such an innocent non-troll simply looking for some friendly banter, my suggestion would be for you to stay in the state of NDSU, where I'm sure you can find it.

And most UND fans are "competent" enough to know about the states of SD and MN. Just maybe not the state of NDSU?

Also, if you "grow tired" of people on a UND site not giving you the love you need, even though you are such an innocent non-troll simply looking for some friendly banter, my suggestion would be for you to stay in the state of NDSU, where I'm sure you can find it.

Ha, whoops, that was not intentional. Seriously. I'll go back in and edit it.

And I'm not looking for or needing any love at all actually, just like trying to be a voice of reason amongst the mess surrounding our fan bases.

If I started "pressing the button" on all the namecalling/flaming/bickering/trolling here I'm afraid I'd lose a lot of UND fans at times.

I have no issue with NDSU fans if they keep it civil, on point, and remember that they are guests in another's house and are expected to follow the rules of that house.

I'm bringing up this last subject again because any fan of UND that is competant should be able to realize that NDSU has owned the states of ND, Minnesota, and SD in recruiting the last several years. Does that mean we've gotten everyone we wanted? No. Does it mean we've lost a battle or two to some other MVFC or BigSky schools? Sure. If a kid is offered a partial versus a full and there are other things to consider like playing time, doesn't it make sense to pick a certain school over the other? Yes.

Geez even when you are trying not to troll you just can't help it can you. So you give Weber State props for playing "inspired football" and giving FU a game - but I guess there's no chance that UND couldn't do the same? And the only reason a kid would pick ANY other school other than FU is because they got more money or were offered more playing time?  Now it's not just two sentence trolling now you're writing books - I have to think there is better things you could do with your time and we'll all be glad when you discover what that is.

If I started "pressing the button" on all the namecalling/flaming/bickering/trolling here I'm afraid I'd lose a lot of UND fans at times.

I have no issue with NDSU fans if they keep it civil, on point, and remember that they are guests in another's house and are expected to follow the rules of that house.

Wthout trolls there would be much less namecalling/flaming/bickering here. Plus I'd rather get into a spit with a UND fan than an FU troll. Why don't you do a poll and ask about troll tolerance I think your tolerance level is way higher than the UND fans here and much higher than the UND fans that no longer come here because of the FU trolls.

You may have a point. I may be numb to the ongoing drone of some NDSU fans; however, that's when I call in < dramatic intro music here > ... The Administrator.

Oh, you've clearly got it under control ;)

It's the age old question on sports fan forums... is being on a rival's forum for the sole purpose of jumping in (where on topic) to provide a counterpoint being a troll? We all do hold rivals' fans to different standards than our own (e.g. if a UND fan had the posting history of the Bison fan in question, no one would have even raised an issue), but where's the line between troll vs. discussion participant with a different point-of-view? We tend to define trolls as people whose posting history indicates they're clearly only here to try to annoy or taunt (see the administrative forum for much more discussion on this).

As I've said in other threads, for whatever reason NDSU fans definitely have a renewed interest in UND this Fall. That has clearly changed the tenor of a lot of these discussions. So, we're definitely keeping an eye on things and trying to figure out what's best for the community. We're making adjustments, but it's admittedly slow. It's also not on topic in this forum, so we'd all be happy to continue it via PM or in the administrative forum.

Oh, you've clearly got it under control ;)

It's the age old question on sports fan forums... is being on a rival's forum for the sole purpose of jumping in (where on topic) to provide a counterpoint being a troll? We all do hold rivals' fans to different standards than our own (e.g. if a UND fan had the posting history of the Bison fan in question, no one would have even raised an issue), but where's the line between troll vs. discussion participant with a different point-of-view? We tend to define trolls as people whose posting history indicates they're clearly only here to try to annoy or taunt (see the administrative forum for much more discussion on this).

As I've said in other threads, for whatever reason NDSU fans definitely have a renewed interest in UND this Fall. That has clearly changed the tenor of a lot of these discussions. So, we're definitely keeping an eye on things and trying to figure out what's best for the community. We're making adjustments, but it's admittedly slow. It's also not on topic in this forum, so we'd all be happy to continue it via PM or in the administrative forum.

trolling is one thing but name calling should be dealt with immediately. Sic is nice to throw out warnings here and there so hopefully we can have a respectful conversation...or close to it.

• Upvote 2

trolling is one thing but name calling should be dealt with immediately. Sic is nice to throw out warnings here and there so hopefully we can have a respectful conversation...or close to it.

I agree, the name calling is unnecessary on both sides.   Seems each has to top the other and we can clearly do without the drama.  

Great point -- agree 100%. Respect should be required; personal attacks, name calling, etc..., shouldn't be welcome from either side. We've probably been too lenient on that in the UND vs. NDSU discussions because we view them as "heated" so try to cut people some slack. 

I didn't think UND was a rival of NDSU anymore, NDSU is so much better than UND and shouldn't lower themselves to play us. They have much bigger rivals such as SDSU and NIU (insert sarcastic face).   I think it's funny how most Bison fans didn't even want to renew the UND-NDSU game anymore because they were on to such bigger and better things.  But yet keep coming to our site, and their students try to pull pranks at our University etc. etc.